The cost of UK Rail Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is zero duty on Aviation fuel, & the air is free to maintain, unlike rail/road. Until aviation pollution is taxed, it will remain relatively cheap.

The rail companies will have comparable profit margins to airlines, they are not "ripping the great british public off".

At least you're not going to bump into Nonce Saville on the train nowadays.

I have travelled by train through most of Europe and it is ridiculous that on the Continent the train journeys are so much cheaper, more timely and the trains are beautiful.
  • Much cheaper - depends on the routes you're taking, and the times you're travelling. I'd say overall they are usually cheaper, but not always much cheaper unless, like here, you book in advance, in which case deals can be had here.
  • More timely - I travel extensively in the UK and Europe and don't find this to be the case. I have trains running late in Belgium, France, Netherlands & Germany on a regular basis. My trains in the UK are on time or within a few minutes 90+% of the time
  • Beautiful trains - erm yes, whatever Cat. A commuter train in the aforementioned countries is no more or less functional a public transport medium than it is here. Long distance trains like the Thalys, TGV, Frecciarossa etc you may have a point, but the average local or intercity is no more beautiful than even the aging 125s

• Much cheaper - depends on the routes you're taking, and the times you're travelling. I'd say overall they are usually cheaper, but not always much cheaper unless, like here, you book in advance, in which case deals can be had here.
  • More timely - I travel extensively in the UK and Europe and don't find this to be the case. I have trains running late in Belgium, France, Netherlands & Germany on a regular basis. My trains in the UK are on time or within a few minutes 90+% of the time
  • Beautiful trains - erm yes, whatever Cat. A commuter train in the aforementioned countries is no more or less functional a public transport medium than it is here. Long distance trains like the Thalys, TGV, Frecciarossa etc you may have a point, but the average local or intercity is no more beautiful than even the aging 125s
Well f***ing said mate.

Well f***ing said mate.
I'd love to live in "Cat World" for just one day.

Ryanair deal where they throw in the taxes on occasion maybe.. APD is a tenner to mainland Europe I believe.
oh aye the whole thing was done on the lowest possible special one-off deals.

Credit to the lad, all the same for finding it all out, but as has been said totally impractical for most and essentially a publicity stunt for his blog

There is zero duty on Aviation fuel, & the air is free to maintain, unlike rail/road. Until aviation pollution is taxed, it will remain relatively cheap.

The rail companies will have comparable profit margins to airlines, they are not "ripping the great british public off".

At least you're not going to bump into Nonce Saville on the train nowadays.

Eh?

I booked a return to Manchester from Portsmouth last year. Train that left at 10:20 & 11:20 was £36 return. Train that left at 10:50 was £156!.

I booked us all first class to London from Newcastle for the forthcoming Southampton match as I had a couple of free tickets to use up.

When I was booking the other lads I noticed that first class was the same price as standard class - £42 I think.

Definitely gonna check first class next time I book us up in case the same thing happens again.

They sell both classes of tickets in tranches, quite a few times ihave got a first class ticket cheaper than a standard would have been

I have travelled by train through most of Europe and it is ridiculous that on the Continent the train journeys are so much cheaper, more timely and the trains are beautiful.
Me too but I think your 'beautiful ' description is pushing it

A rare few

Most of europe have fixed prices for train journeys not the demand based prices in the uk. Get canny discounts if you travel as a group of 6 or more as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back