The cost of UK Rail Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what watchdogs are for

It's what regulators are for. Watchdogs are usually retired busybodies with time on their hands.

It's no coincidence that just about every privatisation has had to be accompanied by the introduction of a regulator to protect consumers interests (i.e. stop them getting ripped off). OFWAT, OFGEM, OFCOM off the top of my head. Most of them pretty toothless.

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/nifty50

50% off at the moment.

Like these beauties...

• Newcastle to Edinburgh from just £5.05 each way
  • London King’s Cross to Leeds from just £7.25 each way
  • Edinburgh to London King’s Cross from just £12.50 each way

Dates to remember
  • Book by 18 August
  • Travel between 5 September – 4 November (excluding 21 – 30 October)
Please note: the proposed RMT strike will not affect the seat sale travel dates above.

It's what regulators are for. Watchdogs are usually retired busybodies with time on their hands.

It's no coincidence that just about every privatisation has had to be accompanied by the introduction of a regulator to protect consumers interests (i.e. stop them getting ripped off). OFWAT, OFGEM, OFCOM off the top of my head. Most of them pretty toothless.

And those regulatory bodies are presumably headed by extremely well paid individuals who have close contacts with the Tory party.

I booked us all first class to London from Newcastle for the forthcoming Southampton match as I had a couple of free tickets to use up.

When I was booking the other lads I noticed that first class was the same price as standard class - £42 I think.

Definitely gonna check first class next time I book us up in case the same thing happens again.

I'm traveling a lot for work at the moment and have found 1st class tickets cheaper than standard on multiple occasions.

Also seen over £100 differences by traveling half an hour earlier or later.

It's like they make the prices up at times.

Never used a train in England before. What's the best website/company to use? Really clueless about it.

Illogical train travel in this country:

Type in Exeter St Davids to Hilsea (change at Fareham) £65 for a single

Type in Exeter St Davids To Fratton £16. Get off at Fareham and buy a single to Hilsea £4. Total £20.
Hell of a bump.

Never used a train in England before. What's the best website/company to use? Really clueless about it.

Try the rail operator first. The Trainline. If you're travelling long distance (say Newcastle - Exeter) see where the changes are (say York, then Birmingham) and try and book them as separate journeys (NCL-York rtn, York Brum rtn, Brum Exeter rtn). If it's a shortish journey then it's a regulated set fare anyway.

Hell of a bump.

I'll be getting on exactly the same trains on both occasions.

Try the rail operator first. The Trainline. If you're travelling long distance (say Newcastle - Exeter) see where the changes are (say York, then Birmingham) and try and book them as separate journeys (NCL-York rtn, York Brum rtn, Brum Exeter rtn). If it's a shortish journey then it's a regulated set fare anyway.

Just had a bash at that in October, £182 if you book it as one return (NCL-EXE). £130 if you book it as 3 separate return journeys as mentioned above (get on exactly the same trains though).

Last edited:

I'll be getting on exactly the same trains on both occasions.

Just had a bash at that in October, £182 if you book it as one return (NCL-EXE). £130 if you book it as 3 separate return journeys as mentioned above (get on exactly the same trains though).
Are they advance fares that have to be taken on a specific train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back