The cost of UK Rail Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree Epping but it doesn't make it right that you have to plan 7 years in advance and are punished if you don't

Four of us in my car from York for the match - £40 quid petrol and the wear and tear on the car, it's a no brainer, plus they can all drink to their hearts content.

oh its a shambles the way rail is ticketed in this country but the flight example the bloke used he has potentially hit lucky.. we all know flight prices vary hugely by supply and demand too

tbh he can continue being his anorak.. I bet you he doesn't explain the 6 hours he spent on his computer conjuring up this trip for publicity.
He obviously works for Martin Lewis site. So probably, although not for publicity.

Thats the point in Martin Lewis site to highlight ways for us all to save money. Also taking aim at high cost issues in the UK.

Y'see. I've taken the Megabus rather than the train to save a few quid. That might only have been an hour or 2's difference.
9 hours and £8 is just ridiculous.
Buses aren't that cheap. I paid £42 for the overnight Hartlepool to London national express last week to save an overnight in London. The train next week would have been £35 for second class which is comparable seating wise.

Buses aren't that cheap. I paid £42 for the overnight Hartlepool to London national express last week to save an overnight in London. The train next week would have been £35 for second class which is comparable seating wise.
Bus is almost always cheaper.

Y'see. I've taken the Megabus rather than the train to save a few quid. That might only have been an hour or 2's difference.
9 hours and £8 is just ridiculous.

Train is less than 3 hours, the megabus is circa 7 hours. Mental. I'd have to save at least £50 to do that like.

I booked us all first class to London from Newcastle for the forthcoming Southampton match as I had a couple of free tickets to use up.

When I was booking the other lads I noticed that first class was the same price as standard class - £42 I think.

Definitely gonna check first class next time I book us up in case the same thing happens again.

Train is less than 3 hours, the megabus is circa 7 hours. Mental. I'd have to save at least £50 to do that like.

I've done Manchester to Home on the train and if I've come up at short notice it can be well expensive.
I've done Megabus - Manchester to Boro and Boro to Bishop - the train from Boro to Bishop tends to cost more than the megabus.
That's just mental

Clearly you've not been on a Megabus.

I don't think he's suggesting people actually do it to save money.

I think it does make a very good point about the cost of train fares in this country.

I can't argue with that. It's an absolute racket.

I booked us all first class to London from Newcastle for the forthcoming Southampton match as I had a couple of free tickets to use up.

When I was booking the other lads I noticed that first class was the same price as standard class - £42 I think.

Definitely gonna check first class next time I book us up in case the same thing happens again.

Aye, that can happen, sometimes it's not much difference at all. They'll sell so many cheap tickets in each class, if the cheap ones are gone in standard but are still available in first then it can be cheaper/similar.

Four of us in my car from York for the match - £40 quid petrol and the wear and tear on the car, it's a no brainer, plus they can all drink to their hearts content.

I'm the only driver and don't think I'm up to driving there and back in a day at the moment.

I've done Manchester to Home on the train and if I've come up at short notice it can be well expensive.
I've done Megabus - Manchester to Boro and Boro to Bishop - the train from Boro to Bishop tends to cost more than the megabus.
That's just mental

For some reason I was thinking London, aye, you've got a good point if it's for Manchester etc, I'd probably get the bus if it was cheaper.

Said in another thread, I was considering Liverpool away and found trains for £88 return for the four of us with a family railcard. By the time the match tickets went on sale, the same journey on the same trains was £175 return. That's a massive difference!
Never happens on planes or anything.the price never ever goes up the nearer to the travel date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back