The cost of UK Rail Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wondered how much from Sheffield to east mids which is past Nottingham down the m1.

always a premium when you want to go to an airport as they have you over a barrel.

alternatively he could have just got a megabus and saved even more and would have taken less time

The boy tbf has highlighted how stupid the British rail traveller is though - the cost of rail travel is bloody stupid, and drives those with cars to take the car unless perhaps travelling into the centre of London. I go 2 returns to London for next month with East Coast for £20 all in last month when Virgin were advertising specials. Just looked at cost today and it's £197. I could take the car there and back and pay the Congestion charge and still have money left over - bloody stupid.

The boy tbf has highlighted how stupid the British rail traveller is though - the cost of rail travel is bloody stupid, and drives those with cars to take the car unless perhaps travelling into the centre of London. I go 2 returns for next month with East Coast for £20 all in last month when Virgin were advertising specials. Just looked at cost today and it's £197. I could take the car there and back and pay the Congestion charge and still have money left over - bloody stupid.

no doubt but ticketing for rail even in the old days was a farce..

deals to be had if you can plan ahead.. a bugger if you are short notice on spec.

The boy tbf has highlighted how stupid the British rail traveller is though - the cost of rail travel is bloody stupid, and drives those with cars to take the car unless perhaps travelling into the centre of London. I go 2 returns to London for next month with East Coast for £20 all in last month when Virgin were advertising specials. Just looked at cost today and it's £197. I could take the car there and back and pay the Congestion charge and still have money left over - bloody stupid.

Said in another thread, I was considering Liverpool away and found trains for £88 return for the four of us with a family railcard. By the time the match tickets went on sale, the same journey on the same trains was £175 return. That's a massive difference!

I have travelled by train through most of Europe and it is ridiculous that on the Continent the train journeys are so much cheaper, more timely and the trains are beautiful.
i paid 50 euros to go from Copenhagen to Hamburg three years ago.... that was three people anarl...

no doubt but ticketing for rail even in the old days was a farce..

deals to be had if you can plan ahead.. a bugger if you are short notice on spec.

Agree Epping but it doesn't make it right that you have to plan 7 years in advance and are punished if you don't

Said in another thread, I was considering Liverpool away and found trains for £88 return for the four of us with a family railcard. By the time the match tickets went on sale, the same journey on the same trains was £175 return. That's a massive difference!

Four of us in my car from York for the match - £40 quid petrol and the wear and tear on the car, it's a no brainer, plus they can all drink to their hearts content.

Y'see. I've taken the Megabus rather than the train to save a few quid. That might only have been an hour or 2's difference.
9 hours and £8 is just ridiculous.
I don't think he's suggesting people actually do it to save money.

I think it does make a very good point about the cost of train fares in this country.

I have travelled by train through most of Europe and it is ridiculous that on the Continent the train journeys are so much cheaper, more timely and the trains are beautiful.
I think it cost me £30 for a first class train from Rome to Pisa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back