The Clash

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Supertramp. Let's not forget Supertramp.
Our young'un reckons Supertramp at the City Hall is the best concert he's ever been to. Takes all sorts.

Music in the 70s was absolute and complete shite until punk appeared, music was influenced by discos then, f***ing discos man, Barry White, R&B, Bee Gee’s and all that trendy dross. I agree a lot of what was new wave was classed as punk.
If you were in Sunderland in the 70s how the fuck did you miss the upstarts?
I first saw Springsteen on Whistle Test during the 70s as well as fucktons of punk bands. Music in the 70s was different but far from shite. Sweet came on my iPod this morning as I was driving to work, cheered me right up.

Last edited:

Well then you'd know that most bands that came through with punk, existed before uk punk was even thought of, and lots of the bands pre punk that were world wide bands, only got bigger through and after punk, punk is just rock music mate, it was around in the late 60's it didn't just start with the pistols.

Who are you thinking of there? The likes of Stranglers & Kilburn & the High Roads were around pre punk, but I’d not consider then world wide. It might be the rewriting of history & from what I’ve been taught by books & documentaries, but I’m struggling with established bands that the late 70s punk movement made bigger. The obvious UK bands, Pistols, Clash, SLF, Buzzcocks were all of that time.

Maybe the Ramones?

UK punk brought about a resurgence of rock music if anything, the clash were one of the more eloquent lyrically and musically.

Early punk protested at the shit situation most young people and the country were in at that time.

The Pistols, Clash, early Upstarts etc were fantastic although rotten was/is an annoying little tw*t

Our young'un reckons Supertramp at the City Hall is the best concert he's ever been to. Takes all sorts.

I first saw Springsteen on Whistle Test during the 70s as well as fucktons of punk bands. Music in the 70s was different but far from shite. Sweet came on my iPod this morning as I was driving to work, cheered me right up.

Mate you have me absolutely creased here – mentioning sweet on a clash thread, as you said “takes all sorts”

Cloughie once said “It’s only an opinion – makes the world go around”

You’ve certainly cheered me right up.

Maybe the Ramones?

UK punk brought about a resurgence of rock music if anything, the clash were one of the more eloquent lyrically and musically.

Early punk protested at the shit situation most young people and the country were in at that time.

The Pistols, Clash, early Upstarts etc were fantastic although rotten was/is an annoying little tw*t

Mate you have me absolutely creased here – mentioning sweet on a clash thread, as you said “takes all sorts”

Cloughie once said “It’s only an opinion – makes the world go around”

You’ve certainly cheered me right up.
Make ya smile even more. The Sweet song was Little Willy :cool:

Topper Headon played in jazz-rock bands before the Clash. Knew his stuff apparently.

Topper was a superb drummer, to call him average shows a real lack of knowledge. Just take a listen to tracks like Look Here or Jimmy Jazz. he could turn his hand to anything. Paul Cook, though a good drummer, wasn't even in the same ballpark.

Music in the 70s was absolute and complete shite until punk appeared, music was influenced by discos then, f***ing discos man, Barry White, R&B, Bee Gee’s and all that trendy dross. I agree a lot of what was new wave was classed as punk.
If you were in Sunderland in the 70s how the fuck did you miss the upstarts?
He was just born lucky I guess.

Saw The Clash in York during their busking tour in 1985. Spent the afternoon drinking with Joe Strummer in the York Arms. Then they played an acoustic set in a car park and sent a bin round the crowd for donations.

Can't say I saw them at their best, but they were still bloody good.

The kindest thing I can say about them is that they were probably the greatest exponents of British Power Pop in the history of the genre

Other than that I hated them - posh boys getting down and dirty with the oiks and everything they ever did was stage managed by Bernie Rhodes

Pretentious shite

The kindest thing I can say about them is that they were probably the greatest exponents of British Power Pop in the history of the genre

Other than that I hated them - posh boys getting down and dirty with the oiks and everything they ever did was stage managed by Bernie Rhodes

Pretentious shite
Bernie Rhodes knows: don't argue!

Pretentious shite
:lol: Pretentious

Who are you thinking of there? The likes of Stranglers & Kilburn & the High Roads were around pre punk, but I’d not consider then world wide. It might be the rewriting of history & from what I’ve been taught by books & documentaries, but I’m struggling with established bands that the late 70s punk movement made bigger. The obvious UK bands, Pistols, Clash, SLF, Buzzcocks were all of that time.
"World wide" I'm referring to the bands punk was suppose to have killed off, like, Pink Floyd, Zep, the Eagles, etc, they went on to achieve even more success after punk, the Kilburns, Stranglers, Eddie and the Hot rods, and many more that were cast under the punk umbrella were around before punk, like you say.
Strummer and the 101 ers, and many others I was lucky enough to watch every weekend under the name of pub rock, I wouldn't worry re-writing history mate, Paul Morley's already done that...;) apart from the fashion side of it, punk was always just rock music to me.

"World wide" I'm referring to the bands punk was suppose to have killed off, like, Pink Floyd, Zep, the Eagles, etc, they went on to achieve even more success after punk, the Kilburns, Stranglers, Eddie and the Hot rods, and many more that were cast under the punk umbrella were around before punk, like you say.
Strummer and the 101 ers, and many others I was lucky enough to watch every weekend under the name of pub rock, I wouldn't worry re-writing history mate, Paul Morley's already done that...;) apart from the fashion side of it, punk was always just rock music to me.
Got ya. I would say Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin got bigger because of punk though. They just happen to be one of those bands that are massive regardless & always will be.

Whilst the Eagles have the biggest selling album ever, I feel a bit awkward mentioning their name on a thread like this :lol:

Got ya. I would say Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin got bigger because of punk though. They just happen to be one of those bands that are massive regardless & always will be.

Whilst the Eagles have the biggest selling album ever, I feel a bit awkward mentioning their name on a thread like this :lol:
I didn't mean they got bigger because of punk, I was referring to the same old tired line that punk killed those bands off, it didn't, it had no real effect on their status, the Eagles were soaring at the very time Punk came through, like them or not, that's not the point I'm making, When ever I watch a punk documentary, up pops Morley with his tired old patter, telling everyone that punk wiped those bands of the face of the earth, the opposite is true, that's all I'm saying, IMO there's room for all types of music.

Pretentious shite

Well...apart from the two and a half years from Nov 78 to March 81 when he wasn't managing them. ;)

Topper was a superb drummer, to call him average shows a real lack of knowledge. Just take a listen to tracks like Look Here or Jimmy Jazz. he could turn his hand to anything. Paul Cook, though a good drummer, wasn't even in the same ballpark.
It wasn’t me calling him average.

Well...apart from the two and a half years from Nov 78 to March 81 when he wasn't managing them. ;)
You above all people know what I mean - they would have been a far bigger greater band without Rhodes pulling the strings - the period without Rhodes was a mixed bag as well if you include self indulgent shite like Rude Boy and Sandinista - whoever thought those two milestones of their career were a good idea deserved to be tried for crimes against the music industry ;)

:lol: Pretentious
Put your hand on your heart and tell yourself that neither Sandinista nor Rude Boy weren’t pretentious shite

Last edited:
You above all people know what I mean - they would have been a far bigger greater band without Rhodes pulling the strings - the period without Rhodes was a mixed bag as well if you include self indulgent shite like Rude Boy and Sandinista - whoever thought those two milestones of their career were a good idea deserved to be tried for crimes against the music industry ;)

Put your hand on your heart and tell yourself that neither Sandinista nor Rude Boy weren’t pretentious shite

He was a great catalyst for them getting started but he never should have been brought back after his initial sacking.

Last edited:
He was a great catalyst for them getting started but he never should have been brought back after his initial sacking.
You can see the reason for bringing him back - they’d completely lost their way in 1980
But the events post 82 that he presided over left a big stain on their legacy

Agree with the latter part but you know my feelings on the "S" word. ;)
Do you honestly think that the S Word would have ever materialised if Rhodes or anyone else had been managing them properly - the six sides could have been condensed into a half decent album albeit with a few fillers - but instead they unleashed that self indulgent tripe onto an unsuspecting world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back