The Clash

He has also got All The Peacemakers out now about the making of GEER. Seems like a sound lad
Need to get that. It’s all over my Facebook but have t got around to it.

Who bought 001, the Strummer boxset last year. Only listened to the music, but really want to full thing. The football shirt with Strummer on the back is class.

Punk was a bad thing for music in that too many bands were categorised as such because of the style and probably volume of their music. As a teen growing up in the late 70's, my musical influences would have been driven by Radio1 charts and TOTP who rarely played 'Punk'. Bands like The Clash, SLF, The Stranglers went under my radar for much longer than I'd have liked.

Punk was a bad thing for music in that too many bands were categorised as such because of the style and probably volume of their music. As a teen growing up in the late 70's, my musical influences would have been driven by Radio1 charts and TOTP who rarely played 'Punk'. Bands like The Clash, SLF, The Stranglers went under my radar for much longer than I'd have liked.
I wasn’t born until ‘83, so you’ve got the edge on me there, but I can’t agree with any post that starts “punk was a bad thing for music”. You just need to work a bit harder to find the good stuff & not accept what’s being forced down your throat by “the masses”.

Eh? There was a whole sub-culture going on, you didn't have to go too far past John Peel or Annie Nightingale on Radio 1 for the breaking stuff, NME, Melody Maker, Sounds etc were all in their prime, gigs were cheap and plentiful. it really wasn't difficult to get and keep up to date

I wasn’t born until ‘83, so you’ve got the edge on me there, but I can’t agree with any post that starts “punk was a bad thing for music”. You just need to work a bit harder to find the good stuff & not accept what’s being forced down your throat by “the masses”.
Eh? There was a whole sub-culture going on, you didn't have to go too far past John Peel or Annie Nightingale on Radio 1 for the breaking stuff, NME, Melody Maker, Sounds etc were all in their prime, gigs were cheap and plentiful. it really wasn't difficult to get and keep up to date
Don't pick on me lads, music was a very distant second to football in my life at that time. A copy of Smash Hits at school or a very, very occasional copy of NME was as far as influences went. I remember 'Another Brick In The Wall' coming out and assuming The Wall was Pink Floyds debut album :oops::lol: #shelteredupbringing.

Don't pick on me lads, music was a very distant second to football in my life at that time. A copy of Smash Hits at school or a very, very occasional copy of NME was as far as influences went. I remember 'Another Brick In The Wall' coming out and assuming The Wall was Pink Floyds debut album :oops::lol: #shelteredupbringing.
We weren’t picking on you man :lol: Spenk ;)

Music in the 70s was absolute and complete shite until punk appeared, music was influenced by discos then, f***ing discos man, Barry White, R&B, Bee Gee’s and all that trendy dross. I agree a lot of what was new wave was classed as punk.
If you were in Sunderland in the 70s how the fuck did you miss the upstarts?

Music in the 70s was absolute and complete shite until punk appeared, music was influenced by discos then, f***ing discos man, Barry White, R&B, Bee Gee’s and all that trendy dross. I agree a lot of what was new wave was classed as punk.
And Supertramp. Let's not forget Supertramp.

Hey up! here's another top of the pops watcher, that thought it showed the only thing happening in music at the time.

I didn't, but I didn't like them ... nor Dead Kennedys or the Sex Pistols, they were punk and "all punk is the same" hence the generalisation which mixed with my innocence/ignorance meant missing out or overlooking other bands.
Besides every fucker at my school claimed to know "the drummer from Angelic Upstarts who lives at Dame Dot" ... ironically I had an auntie who lived at Dame Dorothy Crescent so I was probably the only kid at our school who actually knew where Dame Dot was:lol:.

Hey up! here's another top of the pops watcher, that thought it showed the only thing happening in music at the time.

Don’t know how you work that out mate, I probably knew (past tense) more than most about punk music at that time.

I didn't, but I didn't like them ... nor Dead Kennedys or the Sex Pistols, they were punk and "all punk is the same" hence the generalisation which mixed with my innocence/ignorance meant missing out or overlooking other bands.
Besides every fucker at my school claimed to know "the drummer from Angelic Upstarts who lives at Dame Dot" ... ironically I had an auntie who lived at Dame Dorothy Crescent so I was probably the only kid at our school who actually knew where Dame Dot was:lol:.

OK mate, fair enough, I think he still lives in one of the streets around old Roker park.

Don’t know how you work that out mate, I probably knew (past tense) more than most about punk music at that time.

OK mate, fair enough, I think he still lives in one of the streets around old Roker park.
Well then you'd know that most bands that came through with punk, existed before uk punk was even thought of, and lots of the bands pre punk that were world wide bands, only got bigger through and after punk, punk is just rock music mate, it was around in the late 60's it didn't just start with the pistols.

Well then you'd know that most bands that came through with punk, existed before uk punk was even thought of, and lots of the bands pre punk that were world wide bands, only got bigger through and after punk, punk is just rock music mate, it was around in the late 60's it didn't just start with the pistols.
Who are you thinking of there? The likes of Stranglers & Kilburn & the High Roads were around pre punk, but I’d not consider then world wide. It might be the rewriting of history & from what I’ve been taught by books & documentaries, but I’m struggling with established bands that the late 70s punk movement made bigger. The obvious UK bands, Pistols, Clash, SLF, Buzzcocks were all of that time.

Back