The Clash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got it on now - it's alright.

Good lad...Safe European Home..Tommy Gun..Guns on the Roof..Stay Free..what's not to like!!..it took a bit getting use to when it came out with the bigger production but that's only because the first album was so under produced..done so on purpose to reflect the 'bleakness' and the working class garage band sound that the band were trying to come across as..load of old bollocks looking back like!!

Last edited:
Good lad...Safe European Home..Tommy Gun..Guns on the Roof..Stay Free..what's not to like!!..it took a bit getting use to when it came out with the bigger production but that's only because the first album was so under produced..done so on purpose to reflect the 'bleakness' and the working class garage band sound that the band were trying to come across as..load of old bollocks looking back like!!
Well I can only listen to it in retrospect given they'd practically wrapped in by the time I was born, but I just don't think it's got as many songs as either of the records sandwiching it. There's a couple, Stay Free like you mention, but I dunno - it just pales in comparison I think.

Well I can only listen to it in retrospect given they'd practically wrapped in by the time I was born, but I just don't think it's got as many songs as either of the records sandwiching it. There's a couple, Stay Free like you mention, but I dunno - it just pales in comparison I think.

I'm a massive Clash fan as you know, and I agree, it sags a little in parts. Three or four songs are a bit bloated and could have had a minute shaved off them. Safe European Home, English Civil War, Tommy Gun and Stay Free are up there with their best work but I find Drug Stabbing time and Cheapskates a bit ordinary. Still a great album though, just not as good as the debut, London Calling or Sandinista.

Love the clash

Was a bit too young for when they were around and only really got into them because of mick Jones producing The Libetines

It’s like most things in music , you have to have been there , and young , at the time .
Like Bowie , you had to be young during Ziggy .
I saw the Clash at Newcastle Uni way back in the day , then many years later saw Mick Jones again as an old man with Big Audio Dynamite at the Academy , privileged.

Went to see London Calling doing London Calling last Friday. Got to be honest, I love the record but I got a bit bored. They started earlier than advertised so we missed a few songs. They did a few non London Calling at the end & that was only when it felt like it got going.

Seen a review on a Clash fan page on Facebook saying they were at the Glasgow gig the day after & they were a bit poor too. Shame.

They’re doing a couple of shows doing Sandanista next year. Nothing announced for up here, but it’d be an interesting listen.

I'm a massive Clash fan as you know, and I agree, it sags a little in parts. Three or four songs are a bit bloated and could have had a minute shaved off them. Safe European Home, English Civil War, Tommy Gun and Stay Free are up there with their best work but I find Drug Stabbing time and Cheapskates a bit ordinary. Still a great album though, just not as good as the debut, London Calling or Sandinista.

Probably the album I play more than most of their's. Brilliant first 3, 'Julie' dips a bit but love the lyrics in Last Gang. Never really liked Guns on the Roof and Drug Stabbing. Stay Free is s classic and love the lyrics in Cheapskates and All the Young Punks.

As for London Calling, never been a fan of the track itself and for me not keen on any of the first 3 tracks but from then on the only track I dislike is The Right Profile. However, Wrong em Boyo, Death or Glory and Koka Kola are only average but a cracking finish after that.
I am listening to it now. Sat in the office on my own. Safe European Home, at full blast, is a thing of absolute beauty.
Definitely in my top 3 Clash tracks.
Went to see London Calling doing London Calling last Friday. Got to be honest, I love the record but I got a bit bored. They started earlier than advertised so we missed a few songs. They did a few non London Calling at the end & that was only when it felt like it got going.

Seen a review on a Clash fan page on Facebook saying they were at the Glasgow gig the day after & they were a bit poor too. Shame.

They’re doing a couple of shows doing Sandanista next year. Nothing announced for up here, but it’d be an interesting listen.

Surprised about that, I've seen them a few times and they've always been spot on. I was gutted they were on last Friday as I had tickets for From The Jam so went there instead. They're playing the 100 Club next year when we Play Southend away so we're thinking of going then and tying it in with that as they're on both Friday & Satda nights so we're bound to work something out.

Last edited:
This has just been released in HD after all these years

I live around the corner from where that was filmed. Fantastic song and video - think about it every time I walk past it
Probably the album I play more than most of their's. Brilliant first 3, 'Julie' dips a bit but love the lyrics in Last Gang. Never really liked Guns on the Roof and Drug Stabbing. Stay Free is s classic and love the lyrics in Cheapskates and All the Young Punks.

As for London Calling, never been a fan of the track itself and for me not keen on any of the first 3 tracks but from then on the only track I dislike is The Right Profile. However, Wrong em Boyo, Death or Glory and Koka Kola are only average but a cracking finish after that.

Definitely in my top 3 Clash tracks.

Surprised about that, I've seen them a few times and they've always been spot on. I was gutted they were on last Friday as I had tickets for From The Jam so went there instead. They're playing the 100 Club next year when we Play Southend away so we're thinking of going then and tying it in with that as they're on both Friday & Satda nights so we're bound to work something out.

Every album ever written has a few fillers to be fair

Last edited:

They've just announced The Cluny for November 20th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back