The Clash

Status
Not open for further replies.

the six sides could have been condensed into a half decent album albeit with a few fillers
Broke the barriers by putting everything (there were still some out-takes)they recorded out there. And i got my copy for £4.50 on the day it came out. And it's got Norman on the majority of the better tracks. There's decent tracks on all six sides. The digital age has only enhanced its accessibility.

I have always assumed they are a 'you had to be there' type band. A band of their time, who ripped up the rulebook and made old grannies horrified at their antics. But if you remove the cultural impact and just listen to the tunes on their own? I personally find them a bit meh

Broke the barriers by putting everything (there were still some out-takes)they recorded out there. And i got my copy for £4.50 on the day it came out. And it's got Norman on the majority of the better tracks. There's decent tracks on all six sides. The digital age has only enhanced its accessibility.
Four and a half sides of self indulgent garbage - not even a decent bass player could polish the turds within - I’m not sure anyone other than a blindly diehard fan could defend this , Rude Boy or Cut the Crap but some people do - and at £4.50 you were robbed ;)

I have always assumed they are a 'you had to be there' type band. A band of their time, who ripped up the rulebook and made old grannies horrified at their antics. But if you remove the cultural impact and just listen to the tunes on their own? I personally find them a bit meh
They were marmite even back then - their fans loved them - everyone else couldn’t be arsed with them

Last edited:

Always likely to happen when they didn't stick to a tried and tested formula. The progression through the first three albums, for better or worse, was what they were all about for me.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any band who's first three albums were as good as The Clash, Give 'em enough rope and London Calling - but it all comes down to personal taste really. As Joe said, "we aren't particularly talented, we just try hard" so I think their music can be hit or miss for different people

Last edited:
Always likely to happen when they didn't stick to a tried and tested formula. The progression through the first three albums, for better or worse, was what they were all about for me.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any band who's first three albums were as good as The Clash, Give 'em enough rope and London Calling - but it all comes down to personal taste really. As Joe said, "we aren't particularly talented, we just try hard" so I think their music can be hit or miss for different people

Totally marra..I was lucky enough to see them a couple of times as well..personally I didn't enjoy much of the material after London Calling..the odd track here and there..like you say all down to personal taste and to me those first three albums are some of the best music I've ever heard.

Totally marra..I was lucky enough to see them a couple of times as well..personally I didn't enjoy much of the material after London Calling..the odd track here and there..like you say all down to personal taste and to me those first three albums are some of the best music I've ever heard.

Thats it - mind, I still think if you cut down Sandinista you could get a good, but still pretty self indulgent, 10-12 track album out of it.

Last edited:
Thats it - mind, I still think if you cut down Sandinista you could get a good, but still pretty self indulgent, 10-12 track album out of it.

Yeah agreed..i remember when I first heard it I was like WTF..i suppose after the first three and the way they burst onto the scene..not just great music but great image as well..you just wanted them to continue in that mode but punk was dying on it's arse by mid 1979 and things had to change.

Red Roses For Me
Rum Sodemy & The Lash
If I Should Fall From Grace With God

The best band ever , and seemed to have got better with age. Think many knew they were good at the time but only after they split up and Strummer passed away, how good. I always think of the 70s as a turning point in British culture, it was a troublesome decade, but a good one to be working class, things were never really the same when it ended , both in a community, football and a work sense, massive social change was around the corner, and The Clash being at the top of their game as it unravelled was just so prophetic.

Nah, I reckon there's a great double there. Just lose the dub versions and kiddy songs. It just gets better with age, more and more people are coming round to it.

Nah, I reckon there's a great double there. Just lose the dub versions and kiddy songs. It just gets better with age, more and more people are coming round to it.
Only the Johnny Come Latelys
Side 4 is exceptional but it’s hard to justify much else - I quite like some of the nods to the Talking Heads ( that no fucker ever acknowledges ) and some of the dubs could have gone on to an extended free 12” that a lot of albums came with at that time

The best band ever , and seemed to have got better with age. Think many knew they were good at the time but only after they split up and Strummer passed away, how good. I always think of the 70s as a turning point in British culture, it was a troublesome decade, but a good one to be working class, things were never really the same when it ended , both in a community, football and a work sense, massive social change was around the corner, and The Clash being at the top of their game as it unravelled was just so prophetic.

Nowhere near. The Clash were great but a massive amount of their tunes are bang average.

Two duds on there for me. Midnight Log and The Equaliser
What about Mag 7, Somebody Got Murdered, One More Time, Police On My Back(cover) and don't even get me started on Up In Heaven.

I love The Equaliser. My duds are Junkie Slip and Look Here.

Up In Heaven could have been written about Grenfell Tower, great song. My other faves on the album are One More Time, Corner Soul, Something About England and Let's Go Crazy.

It's cracking. Got a bit of White Album about it. Obviously nowhere near as good mind.

I love The Equaliser. My duds are Junkie Slip and Look Here.

Up In Heaven could have been written about Grenfell Tower, great song. My other faves on the album are One More Time, Corner Soul, Something About England and Let's Go Crazy.

Corner Soul :cool:

Last edited:

Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III
Tons of Sobs, Free, Fire and Water
High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, Let The Be Rock cheating slightly
In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head getting by on a technicality
The Doors, Strange Days, Waiting for the Sun
Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears, Wheels of Fire
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, You're Gonna Get It, Damn The Torpedoes
Wishbone Ash, Pilgrimage, Argus
Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero
Rage Against The Machine, Evil Empire, The Battle of Los Angeles
Definitely Maybe, (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, Be Here Now just for Heston
Damned Damned Damned, Music For Pleasure, Machine Gun Etiquette

Good game this.

P.S. Give 'Em Enough Rope's not that good.

Definitely Maybe, (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, Be Here Now just for Heston

Good game this.

The Smiths.

The Smiths
Meat is murder
The Queen Is Dead.

Good game this.

You have got to be joking..aside from 'Julie's been working for the drug squad' there's not a bad track on it..great album..there was all this rubbish when it came out about it being over produced..utter nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back