The Catholic church

Perhaps you should read this paying very close attention to the statistic that says that less than 1% of abuse is by professionals such as teachers, priests, people in authority.

A witch hunt of priests does little or nothing to affect the over 98% of abuse that children experience. Perhaps you need to open your eyes a little more, get over the anti religious position and actually view the problem without bias against anyone.

Facts/Stats on Child abuse
Where have I suggested priests are responsible for the majority of child abuse? My point was is it seems more prevalent in that profession than football coaches, which was put forward as a profession just as likely to be held by a paedo.

Where have I suggested priests are responsible for the majority of child abuse? My point was is it seems more prevalent in that profession than football coaches, which was put forward as a profession just as likely to be held by a paedo.

Even if it is, you are looking at only a tiny, tiny percentage of abuse. Why not campaign to stop abuse in the family by siblings, fathers, uncles, grandparents etc?

Even if it is, you are looking at only a tiny, tiny percentage of abuse. Why not campaign to stop abuse in the family by siblings, fathers, uncles, grandparents etc?
The thread is about abuse in the catholic church. I didn't start the thread nor am I even campaigning to stop abuse by priests, I'm merely commenting on the subject matter.

You are the one that seems to have an agenda. Are you a priest or a catholic by any chance?

The thread is about abuse in the catholic church. I didn't start the thread nor am I even campaigning to stop abuse by priests, I'm merely commenting on the subject matter.

You are the one that seems to have an agenda. Are you a priest or a catholic by any chance?

I’m Catholic if that helps. I’m just bemused by the concentration on priests when there are huge amounts of abuse being committed elsewhere. If we are serious about preventing abuse then the place to start is in the home where the vast majority of abuse takes place, rather than tinkering round the edges with priests.

Although that is typical of society now, ignore the major part of the problem, concentrate on a tiny part of the problem and congratulate ourselves on our achievements, never mind that it is just spitting in the wind.

That has nothing to do with it. Married men are as likely to commit child abuse as any other man, celibate or not. That's just the facts.

And it's fine as long as you give equal credence to the rest of the findings in that report....
... that “young and vulnerable Catholic children, especially boys, were in danger and at risk in the presence of psychosexually immature, psychosexually maldeveloped and sexually deprived and deeply frustrated male priests and male religious, particularly those who had not satisfactorily resolved their own sexual identity”. “This was especially so if these priests and religious were confused or in denial about their homosexual orientation while training and operating in a profoundly homophobic Church environment,”

So there you go. According to the same report it becomes clear that if you are gay and abstain from sex then you are more likely to abuse children than if you are not 'especially so' according to that research.

And here's me thinking that we had gotten past all that. Seems not to be the case.
So you acknowledge celibacy is a factor then, nice one.

Glad we got that straightened out.

I’m Catholic if that helps. I’m just bemused by the concentration on priests when there are huge amounts of abuse being committed elsewhere. If we are serious about preventing abuse then the place to start is in the home where the vast majority of abuse takes place, rather than tinkering round the edges with priests.

Although that is typical of society now, ignore the major part of the problem, concentrate on a tiny part of the problem and congratulate ourselves on our achievements, never mind that it is just spitting in the wind.
When you have a huge organisation like the catholic church, where it seems a great many of its priests were involved in abuse and then there has been a massive coverup going right to the top, it's hardly "tinkering round the edges" highlighting and investigating it.

If you cannot see the difference between an organisation covering up systematic abuse and individuals carrying out abuse in a family setting, then I'm afraid it's you who has an agenda.

Going by your tone it was obvious you were biased towards the catholic church. How do you suggest we concentrate on stopping abuse in the home, as opposed to uncovering the massive scandal in the catholic church? Maybe instead of carrying out operation yewtree, the police should have turned a blind eye to abuse by celebrities and concentrated on family members, after all, it's only a tiny minority of all abuse that is carried out by celebrities.

I was raised Catholic. It's not surprising that the church gets pelters when it's used it's huge amount or resources and massive world wide reach to systematically move abusers about over decades rather than turning them over to authorities.

When you have a huge organisation like the catholic church, where it seems a great many of its priests were involved in abuse and then there has been a massive coverup going right to the top, it's hardly "tinkering round the edges" highlighting and investigating it.

If you cannot see the difference between an organisation covering up systematic abuse and individuals carrying out abuse in a family setting, then I'm afraid it's you who has an agenda.

Going by your tone it was obvious you were biased towards the catholic church. How do you suggest we concentrate on stopping abuse in the home, as opposed to uncovering the massive scandal in the catholic church? Maybe instead of carrying out operation yewtree, the police should have turned a blind eye to abuse by celebrities and concentrated on family members, after all, it's only a tiny minority of all abuse that is carried out by celebrities.
He said it way better.

So you acknowledge celibacy is a factor then, nice one.

Glad we got that straightened out.
No I don't. But if you are believing in that report you have to acknowledge that homosexuality is just as much a factor in conjunction with the celibacy. I disagree with that too.

Rule #1....no pooftahs

The last Pope moved a nonce after allegations in Germany. It's a f***ing putrid organisation is the Catholic Church.
Safc kept a child abuser on it's staff even when he was arrested and charged with child sex offence. It's fans celebrated him. Nonce protectors...the lot of us supporting a putrid excuse for a football club.

Last edited:
Rule #1....no pooftahs

Safc kept a child abuser on it's staff even when he was arrested and charged with child sex offence. It's fans celebrated him. Nonce protectors...the lot of us supporting a putrud excuse for a football club.
:rolleyes:

Rule #1....no pooftahs

Safc kept a child abuser on it's staff even when he was arrested and charged with child sex offence. It's fans celebrated him. Nonce protectors...the lot of us supporting a putrid excuse for a football club.

Not even close to being the same but Byrne was a disgrace.

Can any of those trying to deflect attention away from the church even contemplate the horror of being raped and sodomised as a child by an appointed representative of God?

Those that are religious, rather than trying to deflect attention away should be condemning such disgraceful abuse in the strongest terms.

Last edited:
Not even close to being the same but Byrne was a disgrace.
The whole club was a disgrace. It's the same as a priest having been charged still giving mass on a weekly basis and the congregation supporting him to the hilt. No different. Vile is vile.

Back