The Catholic church

Keith S30S

Inside right
Staff member
Covering up the abuse of minors for donkeys years. One of the senior clergy who turned a blind eye looks like he is going down.

Archbishop guilty of child abuse cover-up

Hopefully this will force bishops to nip abuse in the bud rather than the church just moving abusers on to other places or countries for the abuse to continue.

If there is any real justice the thousands of victims all over the world of these sad perverts will get some sort of recompense that they've been fighting for.

I'm sure this is not just confined to the Catholic church. Abuse and religion always seem to go hand in hand.

Covering up the abuse of minors for donkeys years. One of the senior clergy who turned a blind eye looks like he is going down.

Hopefully this will force bishops to nip abuse in the bud rather than the church just moving abusers on to other places or countries for the abuse to continue.

If there is any real justice the thousands of victims all over the world of these sad perverts will get some sort of recompense that they've been fighting for.

I'm sure this is not just confined to the Catholic church. Abuse and religion always seem to go hand in hand.
Did you start a thread on the Church of England cover up ?
Child abuse inquiry: 'collusion and cover-up' rife among C of E clergy

Same week that every bishop in Chile stands down because of the scandal there. This has happened over and over in country after country, because time after time, decade after decade, country after country, the establishment of the church has chosen to deal with the rape and abuse of children by putting the reputation of the church above the welfare of the victims and justice, has chosen to cover up, silence, pay off, move abusers, protect abusers, knowingly put abusers back into positions where they can do it again. And repeat and repeat and repeat, over and over.

There's two scandals at play, and have been for decades - one is the number of individual priests who are abusers. The other is the way the hierarchy of the church has facilitated and protected them. It's a criminal organisation and should be treated as such.

Read my last paragraph. Abuse will involve all branches religion to a lesser or greater degree.
Abuse involves everything that has children attached to it. You will find abusers are everywhere you will find children.

What makes Catholicism so corrupted on the matter is that in the institution, the literature sees the child as something to be specially protected above everything else, their innocence is seen as the ideal - to be copied by the rest of us. It's the fact that they allowed child abusers to flourish within that environment and be massively protected that sticks in the craw as much as the abuse itself.

But as for the abuse itself....there is no link between it and religion. Just as there is no link between abuse and football even though the example of Crewe Alexandra FC might make think differently.

Same week that every bishop in Chile stands down because of the scandal there. This has happened over and over in country after country, because time after time, decade after decade, country after country, the establishment of the church has chosen to deal with the rape and abuse of children by putting the reputation of the church above the welfare of the victims and justice, has chosen to cover up, silence, pay off, move abusers, protect abusers, knowingly put abusers back into positions where they can do it again. And repeat and repeat and repeat, over and over.

There's two scandals at play, and have been for decades - one is the number of individual priests who are abusers. The other is the way the hierarchy of the church has facilitated and protected them. It's a criminal organisation and should be treated as such.
Pretty much spot on, I can't think of any other organisations that get off with it so lightly in country after country and almost have to be forced to fess up of any wrongdoing because the hierarchys of each religion are so entrenched in concealing and protecting the perpetrators

Sickening.

All Chilean bishops offer their resignation over sexual abuse cover-up

But as for the abuse itself....there is no link between it and religion. Just as there is no link between abuse and football even though the example of Crewe Alexandra FC might make think differently.
So do you think all these paedos just become priests to get access to kids? It seems massively widespread in the catholic church. Or maybe because it's such a large organisation it just seems that way.

I wonder what percentage of priests have turned out to be paedos compared to football coaches for example?

So do you think all these paedos just become priests to get access to kids? It seems massively widespread in the catholic church. Or maybe because it's such a large organisation it just seems that way.

I wonder what percentage of priests have turned out to be paedos compared to football coaches for example?
Probably bigger % wise footie coaches! just because of the sheer volume of priests and the like around the world, although raw numbers wise priests must be top of the league for paedo professions which is alarming really

Yes. Paedos are very clever and manipulative people and they will seek to get into positions of power where they can be protected. Be it within the family, the church the scout movement, pre school teaching, football...everything.

Yes. Paedos are very clever and manipulative people and they will seek to get into positions of power where they can be protected. Be it within the family, the church the scout movement, pre school teaching, football...everything.
But do you think a priest is the number one career choice for a paedo, or would you say percentage wise, there's as many that are football coaches? It seems to me that 1000s of priests have been involved in this worldwide, so far I only know of a handful of football coaches.

And I would say worldwide, football is as big as the catholic church, so we are looking at similar sized "organisations", or careers, so to speak.

Perhaps paedophiles are attracted into professions that give them access to children, but clearly if the tendencies are there in individuals and combined with an opportunity (as has been the case in churches, schools, scout groups, football coaching, hospitals or to extend the discussion into broader sexual abuse, look at the media) then it is more likely to occur, sadly.

There's been a huge amount of wrongdoing in the ranks of the Catholic church (and others) without doubt, not just the abuse but as mentioned, in the cover-up. And yes, it is scandalous not just because it happened, but because it is so contrary to the teaching and ethos of the church. Same arguably applies to children's homes, scout groups, even children's sports coaching organisations, whose stated purposes is to benefit children, not harm them.

To tar these institutions as inherently evil as a result, however, is ludicrous, given the huge amount of good work done by the people in them too. The truth is that humans are sometimes flawed, sometimes marvellous, often even the same people are both. At least with the abuses coming to light we are seeing changes for the better in the way these institutions are run, to make it harder for it to occur in future. As long as we're trying to improve, there's always hope (see also post-takeover SAFC in 2018 :) ).

Last edited:
But do you think a priest is the number one career choice for a paedo, or would you say percentage wise, there's as many that are football coaches? It seems to me that 1000s of priests have been involved in this worldwide, so far I only know of a handful of football coaches.

And I would say worldwide, football is as big as the catholic church, so we are looking at similar sized "organisations", or careers, so to speak.

I'd say being a priest is an easier cover for the paedo who has no interest sexually in adults.

Probably bigger % wise footie coaches! just because of the sheer volume of priests and the like around the world, although raw numbers wise priests must be top of the league for paedo professions which is alarming really

what you on about... far more football coaches than there are priests

I really think one of the problems with Priests and the catholic church is the celibacy vow . its stirring up trouble.

To tar these institutions as inherently evil as a result, however, is ludicrous, given the huge amount of good work done by the people in them too
Like what?

what you on about... far more football coaches than there are priests

I really think one of the problems with Priests and the catholic church is the celibacy vow . its stirring up trouble.
I don't think being celibate would turn someone into a paedo, but it's "good" cover for a paedo not to have a relationship with an adult without any awkward questions.

I'd say being a priest is an easier cover for the paedo who has no interest sexually in adults.
Agreed.

Last edited:

I'd have said relative but being a family member isn't a career.

Like what?

I don't think being celibate would turn someone into a paedo, but it's "good" cover for a paedo not to have a relationship with an adult without any awkward questions.

Agreed.

Im not saying it would too but there are natural urges most men have regarding sex and for people where it is excluded they may end up targeting the most vulnerable.

I don't have the answers at all. to be fair I think you have to be a little odd to want to become a priest, nun, monk or whatever.

Given the protection they're afforded within the institution it's like hitting the paedo jackpot in terms of security, so yes.

Otherwise you'd have to prove a causal link between church institutions and child abuse which I can assure you doesn't exist.

The main link with paedoism is that crimes are overwhelmingly carried out by men.

Back