The Borough

Status
Not open for further replies.
weren't it a spiral staircase in early 80's, to the side of the toilets which haven't changed in 40 years! Upstairs was always an acquired taste sometimes the revamp was too light, sometimes music too loud, and sometimes they got the goldilocks moment and got it just f***ing right!
The stairs were at the side of bar just before you came to the pool table, a bit windey but not spiral, the entrance upstairs was next to the toilets in the corner, during the week the stairs had a metal gate blocking them off.

Remember all that ,though they had a door into back room th

Your sense of direction not up the standards of your fitness

Only doors were the corner one facing the beehive & the back lane door with the latch.

I wandered into the borough upstairs one weekend summer night in the early 80s to a bit of a commotion. I was told that someone had just left via an upstairs window. Later on that night I was told it was someone I know.
I’ll not mention his name but a few on here know him and most will know his work. Twas the lad who does the signs on the Tyne bridge and shearers emporium etc........don’t know if it really was him leaving via the window but I wouldn’t put it past him!
I was in downstairs playing pool, early 80's, was hell on upstairs in the disco, Jamie the bouncer & a couple of lads piled up to sort it out followed by loads of coppers, next thing legs start dangling down in front of the bay window from upstairs, people hanging out of the window to escape, was always fun & games coming out of the borough at closing time on a Friday or Saturday with it being part of the Bermuda triangle that was the wagon & the beehive aswell, that traffic island could be very naughty to navigate, police vans always parked nearby ready to scrape up the remains after it had kicked off.

Last edited:
It's been a constant all my drinking days but I vaguely remember the stairs running straight up the middle of the bar splitting it in two rooms .Couple of cosy gigs with the now 1977
Do you know Jax?

Been trying to contact him for a while. PM me his email if you have it please - Ta!

Only doors were the corner one facing the beehive & the back lane door with the latch.

I was in downstairs playing pool, early 80's, was hell on upstairs in the disco, Jamie the bouncer & a couple of lads piled up to sort it out followed by loads of coppers, next thing legs start dangling down in front of the bay window from upstairs, people hanging out of the window to escape, was always fun & games coming out of the borough at closing time on a Friday or Saturday with it being part of the Bermuda triangle that was the wagon & the beehive aswell, that traffic island could be very naughty to navigate, police vans always parked nearby ready to scrape up the remains after it had kicked off.

Totally remember that. The Bermuda Triangle was a no go zone for anyone sensible at closing time. My mate knew some rozzzers and was told they would position the meatwagons in the back lanes so they could isolate the whole area at a moment’s notice.

Last edited:
Do you know Jax?

Been trying to contact him for a while. PM me his email if you have it please - Ta!

Totally remember that. The Bermuda Triangle was a no go zone for anyone sensible at closing time. My mate knew some rozzzers and was told they would position the meatwagons in the back lanes so they could isolate the whole area at a moment’s notice.

For years I thought it was only me & my mates that called that traffic island the Bermuda Triangle

Do you know Jax?

Just on Facebook, check Nutopions website ,that's him and his sons band

Isaac Henderson's?
Henderson up past odeon
Seen pic of turveys but facade isn't right
Next one down from turveys was strothers garage apparently

Which part? First pint there would have been 2000ish. Was regular from around 2003-2008ish?
Grant ?? Was he the Yorker who used to work for Stan Nelson ?

I think it was a butchers or wholesalers of some kind ???
I am fairly sure Masons had an arcade there and I think they owned the chip shop as well. Sinatra’s probably became a pub in 86’87. Wouldn’t be surprised if the masons own the freehold.

Last edited:
Just on Facebook, check Nutopions website ,that's him and his sons band
Aye I recently heard about Nutopians (‘Scarlet Sea’ - brilliant!) and sent a message through the Bandcamp site but nee idea how frequently he checks it. No reply as yet. I’m not on Facebook but if you’re feeling charitable you could give home a nudge and tell him to check. Cheers!

Northumbria print works was further up, it's (or was ) now an amusement arcade. Gilly is right, was a garage early 80's.

OK, Professor Pinza has been doing his research. If you have the book "Sunlun Ower The Years" published in 1999 by Wearside Books there is a photo of Holmeside taken in 1948 probably from the roof of Burdon House. What is is now Sinatras has a big pair of spectacles on the roof nearest the railway and the garage is actually Turveys Garage which was opposite Josephs on the other side of the entrance to what was later the BRSA club.

Logon or register to see this image

Newsagents in the 70's

That's why I remembered it as a printers.

Last edited:
OK, Professor Pinza has been doing his research. If you have the book "Sunlun Ower The Years" published in 1999 by Wearside Books there is a photo of Holmeside taken in 1948 probably from the roof of Burdon House. What is is now Sinatras has a big pair of spectacles on the roof nearest the railway and the garage is actually Turveys Garage which was opposite Josephs on the other side of the entrance to what was later the BRSA club.

That's why I remembered it as a printers.

I do remember it as some kind of garage/car showroom in the early 80's. Then as someone said it became a chippy for a bit, and then turned into Sinatra's in the very late 80's or very early 90's.

I do remember it as some kind of garage/car showroom in the early 80's. Then as someone said it became a chippy for a bit, and then turned into Sinatra's in the very late 80's or very early 90's.

I might be dreaming this but when Sinatra's opened wasn't it aimed at an up-market clientele, a piano bar or wine bar or summat?

Do you know Jax?

I used to work with him, he's on my facebook, IJ.

As others have said he’s in 2 bands including 1977.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back