1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Borough

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Sidewinder2, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Wayne The Punk

Wayne The Punk Striker

I met my ex wife in there, she was a barmaid around 1980.
    I was asked by the doorman one night to stop anyone else coming in as time had been called. 3 lads turned up, I told them "its shut lads its time", "are you going to stop us coming in?" "Go straight up the stairs lads"

It was also the pub a lot of the lads would meet in before the match, and it used to open at 10:30 on a saturday, which was a big deal in those days.

I got fucking smashed in there one boxing day before a game at Newcastle, on Double Maxim, then Southern Comfort, got the last train through, battered the fuckers outside the station before the match, I got a good kicking afterwards, and we got beat

2. JAZZMANB

JAZZMANB Striker

Its all about how much £££ goes into it.Josephs etc was done on Changing rooms budget

Remember a random lad with a mag top on,not even derby day,8pm sat night.Lasted about 20 minutes and someone poured a pint over his head

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Dmac1969 likes this.
  3. gillythedilf

gillythedilf Striker

Used to like popping in there after I’d been in to see Andy and the boys at Aphrodite .
    Used to put the Floyd on the jukebox and sit in the big window watching the fanny go by

4. Wayne The Punk

Wayne The Punk Striker

The manager back then was a mag, I remember a mag top being set on fire upstairs :)

powburn red likes this.
  5. gillythedilf

gillythedilf Striker

Railway is to be turned into a spar

Has Peter opened the Salty back up yet ?

6. lurker

lurker Winger

Hope they do the bogs

7. Aldyyyy

Aldyyyy Winger

Ne wonder they aren't answering the bastard phone, been ringing up to see if anyone had handed mine in :lol:

8. roppa

roppa Central Defender

weren't it a spiral staircase in early 80's, to the side of the toilets which haven't changed in 40 years! Upstairs was always an acquired taste sometimes the revamp was too light, sometimes music too loud, and sometimes they got the goldilocks moment and got it just fucking right!

9. ozz

ozz Central Defender

And Masons amusements before that I think.

What year was that ?

10. JAZZMANB

JAZZMANB Striker

Not ringing any bells

11. __howdy__

__howdy__ Winger

Which part? First pint there would have been 2000ish. Was regular from around 2003-2008ish?

12. gillythedilf

gillythedilf Striker

Was a garage aswell wasn’t it ?

13. JAZZMANB

JAZZMANB Striker

I think it was a butchers or wholesalers of some kind ???

14. gillythedilf

gillythedilf Striker

Old pics I’ve seen is a garage mate

15. Wasn't Sinatras something like a printers or opticians back in the day ?

16. JAZZMANB

JAZZMANB Striker

no one seems sure ! i'll find out

17. I seem to have vague memories of it being a printers in the 70s but I also think I have seen a photo of it with a huge pair of spectacles as a shop sign from the 50s.

18. Paddy O'Dors

Paddy O'Dors Striker

Northumbria print works was further up, it's (or was ) now an amusement arcade. Gilly is right, was a garage early 80's.

KarenDent, PinzaC55 and riffraff like this.
  19. gillythedilf

gillythedilf Striker

The building looks like a garage aswell tbh

20. riffraff

riffraff Striker

I wandered into the borough upstairs one weekend summer night in the early 80s to a bit of a commotion. I was told that someone had just left via an upstairs window. Later on that night I was told it was someone I know.
    I’ll not mention his name but a few on here know him and most will know his work. Twas the lad who does the signs on the Tyne bridge and shearers emporium etc........don’t know if it really was him leaving via the window but I wouldn’t put it past him!

artful splodger likes this.