The Borough

The Borough, with its location , in city centre next to one of the most used bus station in the UK, could of been and should be one of the best traditional boozers in the country, wet pub only, occasional live music and a place were people can talk and drink in peace. Agree with those who say it should of had a facelift 10 years ago. After that it did go downhill , scruffier than usual, and rank real ale, that's if they had any on in the first place.Up until then it was popular for being just The Borough, no pretensions, a bit scruffy, but a place you felt at home in, an escape from the shit that comes with modern day life. It really had the potential to have been one of Britain's top 50 town centre boozers.

Last edited:
The Borough, with its location , in city centre next to one of the most used bus station in the UK, could of been and should be one of the best traditional boozers in the country, wet pub only, occasional live music and a place were people can talk and drink in peace. Agree with those who say it should of had a facelift 10 years ago. After that it did go downhill , scruffier than usual, and rank real ale, that's if they had any on in the first place.Up until then it was popular for being just The Borough, no pretensions, a bit scruffy, but a place you felt at home in, an escape from the shit that comes with modern day life. It really had the potential to have been one of Britain's top 50 town centre boozers.
Really?

Yes- certainly in the 90s was the second busiest in the country. We had the least cars per head in England in the region

Sounds like you would be better off in establishment that requires a top hat and a monocle.
Give your head a wobble - they have managed to create a pub that wouldn’t look out of place in Witherwack in one of the most prominent sites in the whole of the Town. The refurb is abysmal; and that’s from someone who has frequent many a shithole over the last 33 years

Last edited:
Yes- certainly in the 90s was the second busiest in the country. We had the least cars per head in England in the region

Digression, this: really pisses me off that despite having this multi-million pound bus station just round the corner, you can hardly walk up Vine Place at times because they've turned it into a mini bus station and the pavements are full of people waiting for buses or getting off buses.

Digression, this: really pisses me off that despite having this multi-million pound bus station just round the corner, you can hardly walk up Vine Place at times because they've turned it into a mini bus station and the pavements are full of people waiting for buses or getting off buses.
I was thinking about this the other day. They should make everything go via the bus station and they shouldn’t have any bus stops or bus routes anywhere else in the centre.

That way, more revenue for the bus station operator, less of a game of chicken when getting around and open up all of the roads that are one way / bus lanes for cars, with drop off / pick up points to generate footfall in the town.

I was thinking about this the other day. They should make everything go via the bus station and they shouldn’t have any bus stops or bus routes anywhere else in the centre.

That way, more revenue for the bus station operator, less of a game of chicken when getting around and open up all of the roads that are one way / bus lanes for cars, with drop off / pick up points to generate footfall in the town.
Every time they try to change the position of bus stops there's an outcry from people who say they have to walk too far. I can see your point like, walk through the town and you can see it's buses clogging up the roads, but then there are plenty of old people or others who can't walk very far relying on the bus to get them to where they need to be.

Every time they try to change the position of bus stops there's an outcry from people who say they have to walk too far. I can see your point like, walk through the town and you can see it's buses clogging up the roads, but then there are plenty of old people or others who can't walk very far relying on the bus to get them to where they need to be.
I do understand the older people, my dad couldn’t do it.

I suppose a better way of getting round town could be introduced. A proper shop mobility programme, make more indoor shopping etc.

Back