[The Ashes] first Test - Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
As ever, test matches hinge on a number of marginal calls. Ultimately, had Bairstow not played that ridiculous shot 5 minutes before tea, we may have left them 220 to win and had a real go at them during the last 45 minutes of day 4. I don't see any changes, barring injury for the next test (there is a case for dropping Ball for Overton/Curran to slightly improve the lower order).

Australia were nowhere near as good as I thought they would be.

But england played exactly as I expected.

Cook has looked poor for ages.
Stoneman was a positive
Vince a surprise in the first but second as expected.
Root not converting when we needed what a shock.
Malan did well and threw it away cos Bayliss wants intent. Rubbish second innings just in his shell to Lyon.
Ali shouldn’t be ahead of bairstow as is better with the tail. Needed to kick on in both. With the ball no mention of split finger in the first innings and was crap. Getting the walking spin wicket and a tail ender.
Bairstow pathetic to get out how he did in both innings.
Woakes absolutely useless
Broad did alright unlucky with second innings.
Ball absolutely useless.
Anderson did alright but now fitness issues already.

Need stokes back desperately.

Since Bayliss has been in charge we just have not been able to bat time.

I just don’t get it. Fragile as fuck.

Selection utter shite too. I said woakes and TRJ would be no good here. Ball isn’t a good bowler full stop since Bangladesh he’s been a pie chucker.

Last edited:
Australia were nowhere near as good as I thought they would be.

But england played exactly as I expected.

Cook has looked poor for ages.
Stoneman was a positive
Vince a surprise in the first but second as expected.
Root not converting when we needed what a shock.
Malan did well and threw it away cos Bayliss wants intent. Rubbish second innings just in his shell to Lyon.
Ali shouldn’t be ahead of bairstow as is better with the tail. Needed to kick on in both. With the ball no mention of split finger in the first innings and was crap. Getting the walking spin wicket and a tail ender.
Bairstow pathetic to get out how he did in both innings.
Woakes absolutely useless
Broad did alright unlucky with second innings.
Ball absolutely useless.
Anderson did alright but now fitness issues already.

Need stokes back desperately.

Since Bayliss has been in charge we just have not been able to bat time.

I just don’t get it. Fragile as fuck.

Selection utter shite too. I said woakes and TRJ would be no good here. Ball isn’t a good bowler full stop since Bangladesh he’s been a pie chucker.

Nothing to disagree with there. I would probably defend Vince like. He got a good one second innings it wasn't like he was fishing. While Rocky and Malan did well they are going to have to work on a plan against Lyon.

Lyon is a tremendous bowler. Underrated on here I think.

He is excellent like. I wasn't suggesting it would be easy but Adelaide should have less bounce and the lefties cant just let themselves be bowled at and accumulate dot balls. Some calculated risk needs to be taken to rotate strike and get more runs off him.

He is excellent like. I wasn't suggesting it would be easy but Adelaide should have less bounce and the lefties cant just let themselves be bowled at and accumulate dot balls. Some calculated risk needs to be taken to rotate strike and get more runs off him.
Agree. The papers were talking about England having plans for certain batsmen but a plan is surely needed on how to deal with Lyon. If Australia are going to persist with a bowling unit of him plus 3 seamers plus Lyon that makes him the lynchpin of their attack.

I'm not reading anything - I'm foaming like I am every time we play down under - Listen to 5Live sports extra - Michael Vaughan gets it spot on - 7-10 we are fucked - he said it from the start, they average 70+ more runs than our 7-10 - once they get past 6 we are basically fucked - its like playing half a team!

Ive f***ing wasted hours of beautiful sleep for these clowns!!!

See you next week ;)

Lyon is a tremendous bowler. Underrated on here I think.

He's not though - he rarely hits the stumps - we let him look way better than he is by f***ing sitting back and letting him dictate.

Agree. The papers were talking about England having plans for certain batsmen but a plan is surely needed on how to deal with Lyon. If Australia are going to persist with a bowling unit of him plus 3 seamers plus Lyon that makes him the lynchpin of their attack.
Just attack him - Moeen hit him for a few and he looked ordinary - he-s no Warne ffs!

Last edited:
I'm not reading anything - I'm foaming like I am every time we play down under - Listen to 5Live sports extra - Michael Vaughan gets it spot on - 7-10 we are fucked - he said it from the start, they average 70+ more runs than our 7-10 - once they get past 6 we are basically fucked - its like playing half a team!

Ive f***ing wasted hours of beautiful sleep for these clowns!!!

See you next week ;)

He's not though - he rarely hits the stumps - we let him look way better than he is by f***ing sitting back and letting him dictate.

Just attack him - Moeen hit him for a few and he looked ordinary - he-s no Warne ffs!
No one is a Warne. He was exceptional ... but look at his stats if you doubt him and compare those to any other England spinner with the exception of Swann or Underwood, then look at the fact that Australia have come into the match with only 3 bowlers plus Lyon, that alone should show you what they think of him. Quite apart form his wicket taking threat they depend on Lyon to be able to rotate their bowlers.

Any chance of rain ? :cry:

Nope.

Lyon is an interesting one. A lot of us don’t really rate him either. I think it’s because he’s more a traditional test spinner... he doesn’t produce those complete unplayable balls that perhaps as a generation we became used to with Warne, Murali, Kumble etc. He’s accurate and consistent. That’s working again to an extent against a generation of impatient, hurried batsmen. They don’t pick their mark, they swing at almost anything (that’s across the board, England, Aust and everybody else. T20 effect). He’s not a superstar, but he has the discipline and consistency to put it in the right spot and make it difficult.

Nope.

Lyon is an interesting one. A lot of us don’t really rate him either. I think it’s because he’s more a traditional test spinner... he doesn’t produce those complete unplayable balls that perhaps as a generation we became used to with Warne, Murali, Kumble etc. He’s accurate and consistent. That’s working again to an extent against a generation of impatient, hurried batsmen. They don’t pick their mark, they swing at almost anything (that’s across the board, England, Aust and everybody else. T20 effect). He’s not a superstar, but he has the discipline and consistency to put it in the right spot and make it difficult.

He’s accurate and consistent?

He's garbage, f***ing Nathan Lyons is the threat in an ashes's series - Bring them home.

As ever, test matches hinge on a number of marginal calls. Ultimately, had Bairstow not played that ridiculous shot 5 minutes before tea, we may have left them 220 to win and had a real go at them during the last 45 minutes of day 4. I don't see any changes, barring injury for the next test (there is a case for dropping Ball for Overton/Curran to slightly improve the lower order).

Not a bad shout that, Ball isn't going to cope with the short stuff and his bowling is gash.

Mind the umpires are cûnts for allowing such tactics, if that wasn't intimidatory bowling I don't know what is. Furthermore, since when were 5 balls over shoulder height an over allowed?

Still staying up for this, an early wicker or two will put doubts in their mind.

Hopefully Root goes for 4 slips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back