[The Ashes] first Test - Brisbane

We all know the rules of the cricket board. And it serves us well.

With just under 30 hours to go it’s time for the first test match thread. It’s on BT and it starts at midnight tomorrow night.

Both teams look pretty easy to pick.

England will also certainly be
Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root (c), Malan, Bairstow, Modern, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Ball
Although the Ball/Overton choice could always spring a surprise

Australia will line up
Warner, Bancroft, Khawaja, Smith (c), Handscomb, Marsh, Paine, Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Lyon
Warner has however knackered his shoulder so is a late doubt, and his absence would be a massive boost. I can’t see him not playing mind, and for what I can see they haven’t called up cover.

I still say it’s closer than most people think. That Australia batting line up has very little depth if we get into them.

So it’s Brisbane. Bat first. Bat long. Scoreboard pressure. They haven’t lost there since 88, and not against England since 86. This is the time to change that

What do you think of the thought ........ while bat first bat long is the best strategy maybe not for the first Test. Let them bat first so our batters can assess the conditions and see what the bowlers can do and what the pitch can do so allowing them to settle in just a bit before they go into the firing line?

Think we'll struggle to get anything from this one. Hope we can avoid a thrashing then it's about how we respond. Need to target wins in Adelaide and Melbourne where conditions should be most favourable on the tour. Then win the toss in Sydney...

Anyway getting well ahead of myself. For now just bring on all you've got you horrible scumbag convict bastardy c.unts.

Didn’t we try that under Nasser? ;)
How many years ago was that!!!

It's a great thing .... isn't it because it creates interest ...... that no tactic or strategy is guaranteed to work in all situations. The trick is picking which tactic works when and any great, super or fantastic tactic deployed at the wrong time will fail ...... I reckon anyway... :)

What do you think of the thought ........ while bat first bat long is the best strategy maybe not for the first Test. Let them bat first so our batters can assess the conditions and see what the bowlers can do and what the pitch can do so allowing them to settle in just a bit before they go into the firing line?

Was listening to a podcast the other day, can't remember whether it was the Simon Hughes one, or Cricinfo, but they were all in agreement that actually it wouldn't be a bad toss to lose.

If you win it, I think the weight of history dictates you have to bat, whereas if you don't win it, you've atleast got nothing to lose bowling wise.

Good on yer chunky aswell, starting the thread and captaining the side. Mind if we lose, it'll all be your fault ;)

EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This time tomorraaaaaaaaa!!!!

Ball will be cannon fodder on them flat decks unfortunately.

Terrible pick.
I have more faith as a fourth seamer. I saw him at Durham in tandem with Patterson and he looked ok to my tired eyes. Of course he may not 'fire' but then perhaps neither would Overton who I presume is the alternative.

I have more faith as a fourth seamer. I saw him at Durham in tandem with Patterson and he looked ok to my tired eyes. Of course he may not 'fire' but then perhaps neither would Overton who I presume is the alternative.
Yep indeed. Apparently he has bowled well on tour as well, they reckon his natural length will suit Aussie conditions

Overton is better with the bat, but has 3 ducks so far!

Back