[The Ashes] first Test - Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't won comfortably, it's been very close. As predicted that's more the sign of two above average teams not having the killer instinct though. A good team would have beaten either side on these performances at a canter.

Australias attack is decent but they were ably supported by brainless middle order batting from England on both occasions. Their tail is alright but they wouldn't have survived a sustained assault. England couldn't give them that though because they only have two bowlers of any quality. The match has really been a battle of five good players or so across both sides stitching together the mediocrity of the rest.

Exciting ebb and flow but the quality across the teams has been middling

On for a ten wicket victory man :lol:

He's not garbage but certainly not unplayable like we made him look. England are just garbage against spin

He outbowled Indian spinners in India. He's a very under rated player and has certainly been the difference in the attacks. Ali certainly isn't a patch.

Last edited:

Sadly I did post the crucial part is what wickets six to ten make.

Happened everytime in recent series that those wickets make all the difference.

I'm also not convinced modern at five as imo it should bairstow in this team and break up the potential left handers combo which Lyon has bowled excellently at.

Ali batted at 6 marra but I take your point. Why take someone who averages nearly 80 at 7 and move him to 6? Modern marshall's the tail better than anyone I've seen for a while. If it's not broken why change it? Ali at 7 from now on ffs......

I'm off to bed, work at 7am, fuck I am watching the fuckers tonight.

Nope.

Lyon is an interesting one. A lot of us don’t really rate him either. I think it’s because he’s more a traditional test spinner... he doesn’t produce those complete unplayable balls that perhaps as a generation we became used to with Warne, Murali, Kumble etc. He’s accurate and consistent. That’s working again to an extent against a generation of impatient, hurried batsmen. They don’t pick their mark, they swing at almost anything (that’s across the board, England, Aust and everybody else. T20 effect). He’s not a superstar, but he has the discipline and consistency to put it in the right spot and make it difficult.
I agree with all this except I don't think that makes him a great bowler. I think he's a competent one who is blesssed with batsmen demonstrating incompetent technique. Fortunately for him that's the majority of Test batsmen these days. I've been astonished to see over the past few years how much the short over stuff has fucked Test batting technique.

He outbowled Indian spinners in India. He's a very under rated player and has certainly been the difference in the attacks. Ali certainly isn't a patch.

Haway marra, you ever played bowling with fucked up spinning finger? I can safely say, he wasn't bowling like his normal self. His revs were no where near what they normally are. Selectors, should have realised this instead of promoting him to 6 in the batting order. f***ing idiots.

Not a bad shout that, Ball isn't going to cope with the short stuff and his bowling is gash.

Mind the umpires are cûnts for allowing such tactics, if that wasn't intimidatory bowling I don't know what is. Furthermore, since when were 5 balls over shoulder height an over allowed?
I mean it's hardly Holding and co out there.

Fast aggressive bowling used to be a part of Test Cricket that just died across the world after McGrath and Lee retired somehow. Hardly saw it for a decade. I'm glad it's back.

You don't get 280 odd test wickets and be shit by the end of the next test he will have more than anyone this year currently 50 odd in 8 games

I've said he's a really good bowler. But there wasn't much spin in the pitch and he doesn't have much variation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back