The afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's bollocks though, not sure if your getting mixed up with posts but if you look at my post i haven't actually said what I believe in other than I tend to lean towards there being no afterlife? My post was more about how people seem to think we (As humans) know everything when we clearly dont. People seem (Like yourself) so sure of the answers to subjects we know little about and shoot people down who have a different view. That was my point. But you crack on telling everyone what happens when you die with such confidence.
Ok. You decompose.

A student of music became obsessed by Beethoven and decided that one night he would creep in to the graveyard and dig Beethoven up in order to gaze on the great man's face.
The night came the student duly dug up Beethoven's coffin and prized the lid open . To his astonishment there was Beethoven pen in hand crossing out all of his musical manuscripts.
"Maestro what are you doing?" shouted the lad.
"Decomposing" said Beethoven.

Hunans think they know everything when in reality we know very little about the universe. In some ways we are quite arrogant in the way we dismiss things that we don't yet understand or that we can't measure. Dark Matter for example, scientists believe it must exist to allow them to fill in some blanks however there is no proof.

We don't know where we came from only theories exist. It wasn't too long ago people thought the world was flat ( I know some still do!). Now I'm not saying there is an afterlife in fact I lean more towards there not being one however there are things that we can't yet explain. I am willing to keep an open mind. It seems when we can't explain something we love to put it down to coincidence or it not being true.
Not sure I agree that we're arrogant when it comes to things we don't understand. I'm sure most decent scientists are the first to admit when we don't have full understanding of situations. Dark Matter is just a name and best-case reasoning for something that's causing our galaxies to hold together (I think). The nature of that dark matter is far from understood, and everyone knows that as it doesn't react or interact with anything (or at least very little).

Agree that we know very little about our universe though, and plenty of it is probably WAY beyond our ability to understand. Imagine trying to teach a cat how a nuclear reactor works!

A student of music became obsessed by Beethoven and decided that one night he would creep in to the graveyard and dig Beethoven up in order to gaze on the great man's face.
The night came the student duly dug up Beethoven's coffin and prized the lid open . To his astonishment there was Beethoven pen in hand crossing out all of his musical manuscripts.
"Maestro what are you doing?" shouted the lad.
"Decomposing" said Beethoven.

If this is true then its amazing that people even doubt life after death.

:confused:

"Born live die. Born live die. Born live die. Ad infinitum."

Nothing to do with reincarnation mate. I do tend to believe the theories that either the universe is infinite or there are an infinite number of universes (whether that be string theory multiverse, quantum many worlds, oscilating, quilted or whatever I have no idea). It almost seems inevitable to be honest. And if true - "born live die. Born live die. Born live die. Ad infinitum." is the "afterlife".

If that makes you feel better about it.
The posts are there for reference.

Clueless

Hunans think they know everything when in reality we know very little about the universe. In some ways we are quite arrogant in the way we dismiss things that we don't yet understand or that we can't measure. Dark Matter for example, scientists believe it must exist to allow them to fill in some blanks however there is no proof.

We don't know where we came from only theories exist. It wasn't too long ago people thought the world was flat ( I know some still do!). Now I'm not saying there is an afterlife in fact I lean more towards there not being one however there are things that we can't yet explain. I am willing to keep an open mind. It seems when we can't explain something we love to put it down to coincidence or it not being true.
Perhaps the greatest knowledge we've gained in the last century is a greater understanding of what we don't know.

For example we know that dark matter exists, because we can measure its influence (gravitational lensing), while still having no idea what it actually is.

Similarly we can prove that dark energy exists, because we can see how it's dispersing galaxies, without yet knowing its nature.

Which leaves us better off than not even knowing that they were there in the first place, which is where we were before Hubble (person and telescope).

But we will know these things, however unlikely it might seem. In the 60s we had no idea what mass was, except for some wild theories by a bloke from Newcastle. One Large Hadron Collider later, we do. He was right.

A key point is that science has no love. There's no scientific theory that wouldn't be kicked out tomorrow if solid experimental evidence contradicted it. Even e=mc^2.

Of course most of us aren't scientists, and we have an evolutionary / emotional need to explain things, however far fetched the results might be.

The
Think of it this way. When you die, your body (or ashes) rots into the ground. That gets eaten by worms and the worm poop gets sucked up as nutrients into plants, grass, trees etc. Is this not a form of reincarnation?
The only one that I can buy. I tried but just never got religion. I remember the old joke about the Jew who falls to the ground fatally ill. A Roman Catholic priest goes up to him and says "Do you renounce the devil and all his works?" The jew replied "Just at this moment, I do not wish to make any enemies!" I always think I makes no difference anyway.

Might also be a psychological element. I nearly died once and felt incredibly relaxed. It was a sense of "well that's it then, the struggle through life is over". It was akin to head meeting pillow in a warm, comfy bed, at the end of a long, stressful day.

The tunnelling, white lights and hallucinations will be an artifact of neurological shutdown, as you say.

The brain's ability to process data on forms and objects will cease leaving the mind silent and in a state of peace. A place so soft and gentle. I say follow the light because that will focus the consciousness. Meditation is tied into dissolution which is why it is called the Art of Dying.

Similar experiences occur during meditation. I think the light will give way to a brilliant blackness. Only consciousness and a sense of self will remain. At some point the brains ability to conceptualise will end and the sense of self will dissolve away leaving consciousness in a space that has no sense of dimension or time. That is what I think will be the final moment of clarity. What happens after that I have no ideas but that short period of time between the last breath and when neurological activity ends may be minutes to those around observing but it will feel like a much longer time to the person dying. Time will seem to slow down. Maybe if that final moment of clarity seems to last forever, the final slip into complete emptiness may not even be noticed. Who knows but the light will lead the way to go.

This scares the shit out of me

How do you know?
I'd bet my house and car on it.

A person who has a modest bang to the head can suffer incurable brain damage. It's very easy to kill somebody while keeping the actual body of the person recognisable. I hope we're at least agreed on that.

If anybody expects us to accept that when the body rots away or is cremated, and the molecules that makes our bodies turn to gas, ash or are consumed worms, maggots or bacteria, that somehow we still exist then I think it's fair to demand some evidence or call it complete bollocks.

It's romantic wishful thinking to say we survive death or we in some way existed before we were born. There is no reliable and testable evidence whatsoever to support it. You may as well claim to be Superman as it would have the same credibility.

Of course it can't disprove something like this. I also can't be 100% sure I'm not an android. Neither can I prove Santa does
not exist. There comes a point though that we need to start living in the real, rational world.

I'd bet my house and car on it.

A person who has a modest bang to the head can suffer incurable brain damage. It's very easy to kill somebody while keeping the actual body of the person recognisable. I hope we're at least agreed on that.

If anybody expects us to accept that when the body rots away or is cremated, and the molecules that makes our bodies turn to gas, ash or are consumed worms, maggots or bacteria, that somehow we still exist then I think it's fair to demand some evidence or call it complete bollocks.

It's romantic wishful thinking to say we survive death or we in some way existed before we were born. There is no reliable and testable evidence whatsoever to support it. You may as well claim to be Superman as it would have the same credibility.

Of course it can't disprove something like this. I also can't be 100% sure I'm not an android. Neither can I prove Santa does
not exist. There comes a point though that we need to start living in the real, rational world.
Why do you keep using we ? . It's really OK for others to believe what they will without having to convince you, It's not a we thing , death is that most individual of relationships despite being ubiquitous
.And don't worry it's safe not to know things were all going to die anyway ...in your terms at least , you will just have to wait and see what karma cares for your human " evidence " :lol:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back