The afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes. We know we have 5 senses. There will be more that we are not aware of. There will be forces in the world that we are also completely unaware of that exist. Gravity was one at one point.
We have more than 5 senses. It depends how you define the term.

When was gravity a force that we couldn't measure?

Forces that can't be measured are useless and might as well not exist. Senses we can't detect are useless and might as well not exist.

We have more than 5 senses. It depends how you define the term.

When was gravity a force that we couldn't measure?

Forces that can't be measured are useless and might as well not exist. Senses we can't detect are useless and might as well not exist.

It's not like you get to choose if they might as well not exist or not though. You hear of people having a sense that someone theyre related to is in bother, a sense we know nothing about but it's important.

It's not like you get to choose if they might as well not exist or not though. You hear of people having a sense that someone theyre related to is in bother, a sense we know nothing about but it's important.
They're called charlatans, mate.

Our senses are shit like. We can sense the bare minimum of what we needed to to navigate the major hazards and opportunities in the pre-agricultural world. No more.

But these days you could be standing next to a radioactive hazard and not know until you were fatally hurt. Your eyes can't see enough of the electromagnetic spectrum to alert you, your skin can't feel enough of it, and your nose isn't sensitive enough to detect low levels of ozone.
This is true, but they are all forces that can be measured and detected. Just not by our own inbuilt senses.

Last edited:
Yes. We know we have 5 senses. There will be more that we are not aware of. There will be forces in the world that we are also completely unaware of that exist. Gravity was one at one point.

Our senses are shit like. We can sense the bare minimum of what we needed to to navigate the major hazards and opportunities in the pre-agricultural world. No more.

But these days you could be standing next to a radioactive hazard and not know until you were fatally hurt. Your eyes can't see enough of the electromagnetic spectrum to alert you, your skin can't feel enough of it, and your nose isn't sensitive enough to detect low levels of ozone.

They're called charlatans, mate.

This is true, but they are all forces that can be measured and detected. Just not by our own inbuilt senses.

My sister once rang me out of the blue saying go check on our mam to see if she was okay, for no other reason than she "had a weird feeling". Funnily enough when I went round my mam was on the floor nearly unconscious after taking an overdose and according the paramedic she was 20 minutes from death.

I was sceptical about this kind of stuff to until that happened. Opened my mind and got me thinking there 100% must be other senses we have that we just don't recognise.

My sister once rang me out of the blue saying go check on our mam to see if she was okay, for no other reason than she "had a weird feeling". Funnily enough when I went round my mam was on the floor nearly unconscious after taking an overdose and according the paramedic she was 20 minutes from death.

I was sceptical about this kind of stuff to until that happened. Opened my mind and got me thinking there 100% must be other senses we have that we just don't recognise.
Maybe you should look at this sort of thing statistically to see if there's anything in it.

How the hell did you manage to comment on my post before I posted it??

Look at me, I've got 6 senses. Pathetic.
I just had a weird feeling you were going to post that.

Its not like you to insult things you don't agree. Its amazing we don't all follow the word of, erm, kent mackem.

You think that was an insult? Perhaps you've led a sheltered life.

I'd never ask anybody to follow my word. You have absolutely no evidence to back up your statement though. The statement was, and remains, utterly ridiculous.

For every 1 time this happens there are literally billions of times (ie. deaths) when it doesn't happen.

Also, your sister will have felt "weird" many times in her life, and will simply forget all the times that weren't coincident with a major "linkable" event.

Conclusion? A freak coincidence in which your sister was feeling weird (for another reason) at the same time that your mum nearly died by sheer chance. Nothing more.

Which we then try to link together, because we have 1) imaginations, and 2) an innate need to explain everything. We'll automatically con ourselves to believe iffy explanations if the alternative is no explanation (hence religion).

Last edited:
For every 1 time this happens there are literally billions of times (ie. deaths) when it doesn't happen.

Also, your sister will have felt "weird" many times in her life, and will simply forget all the times that weren't coincident with a major "linkable" event.

Conclusion? A freak coincidence in which your sister was feeling weird (for another reason) at the same time that your mum nearly died by sheer chance. Nothing more.

Which we then try to link together, because we have 1) imaginations, and 2) an innate need to explain everything. We'll automatically con ourselves to believe iffy explanations if the alternative is no explanation (hence religion).

I personally believe coincidence is used as an easy and lazy way to explain various situations.

Might also be a psychological element. I nearly died once and felt incredibly relaxed. It was a sense of "well that's it then, the struggle through life is over". It was akin to head meeting pillow in a warm, comfy bed, at the end of a long, stressful day.

The tunnelling, white lights and hallucinations will be an artifact of neurological shutdown, as you say.

30 years ago I was called out to a breakdown at work at 5 in the morning. I had just finished at 6.50 am and closed the panel doors. I felt something push against my lower back, it was chipboard on a slow moving fork lift truck the driver wasn't on board. I was unable to turn round and I was starting to be compressed tighter and tighter. My first thoughts were for my wife and kids, then I decided Not Today, I screamed as loud as I could, blood came from my throat. The driver heard, just in time, he climbed on the truck and stopped it. Things were turning black and I was passing out. Just black, no bright lights, no long passages. I was alive, the lads helped me up, my knees were killing me and my back felt odd. I couldn't get out of bed next day, but my back was in a mess. I couldn't have been very far from being killed but nothing supernatural at all.

When I was a young-un I woke up with a terrible sense of dread. 'Don't go to work', I kept telling myself. Even when I got to the bus stop my head kept saying 'don't go to work', 'turn around, don't go'. But I did and my hand got mangled in a machine. Since then, whenever I get those feelings I stop in bed :)

30 years ago I was called out to a breakdown at work at 5 in the morning. I had just finished at 6.50 am and closed the panel doors. I felt something push against my lower back, it was chipboard on a slow moving fork lift truck the driver wasn't on board. I was unable to turn round and I was starting to be compressed tighter and tighter. My first thoughts were for my wife and kids, then I decided Not Today, I screamed as loud as I could, blood came from my throat. The driver heard, just in time, he climbed on the truck and stopped it. Things were turning black and I was passing out. Just black, no bright lights, no long passages. I was alive, the lads helped me up, my knees were killing me and my back felt odd. I couldn't get out of bed next day, but my back was in a mess. I couldn't have been very far from being killed but nothing supernatural at all.
Maybe you were getting a physical pounding but weren't actually on death's doorstep (ie oxygen was still getting to your brain)?

When I was a young-un I woke up with a terrible sense of dread. 'Don't go to work', I kept telling myself. Even when I got to the bus stop my head kept saying 'don't go to work', 'turn Around, don't go'. But I did and my hand got mangled in a machine. Since then, whenever I get those feelings I stop in bed :)
I'd be in bed my entire life :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back