Ten German Bombers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they be upset or offended, if like you said those in the crowd don't see themselves responsible?

Anyone who is offended about the mocking of defeated Nazi Germany is probably a Nazi ;)

Should change it to Nazi bombers.

Its shite but it's not offensive by the way.

You'd have no problem if they sang about Transatlantic slavery when playing us then, presumably that would all be a bit banter
If the grandchildren of Transatlantic slaves had a song about destroying a slave ship and those that owned it, had a song, and sung it to a British crowd, would you be offended?

Why would they be upset or offended, if like you said those in the crowd don't see themselves responsible?

Because the song doesn't distinguish between "10 German bombers in the Luftwaffe during the 1940s".

The song is, at it's core, celebrating Englishmen killing Germans.

The song also reinforces stereotypes of English yobs on tour, offending the locals with boorish behaviour.

It's about when we beat you on 1st Jan 1985.

Beardsley hat-trick iirc.

We were signing it before that game, I always thought it was about NYD 1980. I remember Sunderland went 1-0 up and a Broon bottle came out the East Stand seats and landed just behind me at the front of the Paddock..

It absolutely was created to shock or offend. It might now be sung by unthinking England fans at a variety of opponents, but objectively, the lyrics are definitely meant to shock or offend Germans.

No Germans (or very few) will be offended by a song about defeating the Nazis. Equally it's hardly shocking. Maybe the less commonly sung "my grandad killed your grandad doo-dah doo-dah, my grandad killed your grandad all the doo-dah-day" might offend but the German bomber song was not created to shock or offend, it's just a chant that pissed people started for a laugh and it caught on.

We were signing it before that game, I always thought it was about NYD 1980. I remember Sunderland went 1-0 up and a Broon bottle came out the East Stand seats and landed just behind me at the front of the Paddock..

You're more than likely right. I only started going to games around 1988 so that's the earliest I remember it from.

It's been sang by clubs up and down the country for decades. Apparently everyones rivals ran away :lol:

:lol: You honestly cannot see the irony, can you?

Of course goading is part of football, but surely you can see that singing about a war is beyond the pale? It's the same as fans singing about Munich, or Hillsborough, or similar for me.

I think it's all fair game personally. But I'm a fan of genuine free speech. I also think it's fair that you judge every single person who sing these songs.

If the grandchildren of Transatlantic slaves had a song about destroying a slave ship and those that owned it, had a song, and sung it to a British crowd, would you be offended?

The lefties would join in marra.

It's been sang by clubs up and down the country for decades. Apparently everyones rivals ran away :lol:

Fans desperately trying to leg away from each other in every direction. New years day must have been mental back in the day.

People can sing what they want. I'm not personally offended, and no-one else has the right to be protected from offence.

That said, I do find scenes of England fans generally pretty cringe-worthy. It always seems like we've decided, en masse, to go in costume as the comments section of a Daily Mail article. Why are there always people dressed as crusaders?! It's like US fans turning up in f***ing KKK costumes.

Because the song doesn't distinguish between "10 German bombers in the Luftwaffe during the 1940s".

The song is, at it's core, celebrating Englishmen killing Germans.

The song also reinforces stereotypes of English yobs on tour, offending the locals with boorish behaviour.

No. That's how you've decided to interpret it.

I think it's all fair game personally. But I'm a fan of genuine free speech. I also think it's fair that you judge every single person who sing these songs.
I'm also a fan of a firm defender of free speech. But this is something that comes up a lot, Freedom of Speech doesn't protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.

If someone stands at Speakers corner and criticises the UK, that's his/her right, but they should appreciate their criticism may anger people so they should consider their words. If someone preaches hatred and calls for violence, they should be punished.

If some football fans sings a song about the deaths of enemy soldiers, they should understand that it may offend people. People who're then well within their rights to exercise their freedom of speech in condemning the singing.

If they changed it to "Ten German Bummers" there'd be hell on.

They wouldn't mind taking a shot rofl

I'm also a fan of a firm defender of free speech. But this is something that comes up a lot, Freedom of Speech doesn't protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.

If someone stands at Speakers corner and criticises the UK, that's his/her right, but they should appreciate their criticism may anger people so they should consider their words. If someone preaches hatred and calls for violence, they should be punished.

If some football fans sings a song about the deaths of enemy soldiers, they should understand that it may offend people. People who're then well within their rights to exercise their freedom of speech in condemning the singing.

Better than putting them in comas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back