Talking Angela App- Threat to kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was received directly to her company inbox.
I'm not privy to the other information as I haven't read it and couldn't post it for confidentiality reasons.
She wasn't aware of the Facebook campaign until I told her. Yes I agree it looks like scaremongering on there, but as a manager she has to take these things seriously.
By the sounds of things it is a load of bollocks, but we hadn't heard about it until now so I was trying to help out those on here with kids.
Those on here that know me or are aware of my work should understand how much kids mean to me.

I'm not privy to the other information as I haven't read it and couldn't post it for confidentiality reasons.
She wasn't aware of the Facebook campaign until I told her. Yes I agree it looks like scaremongering on there, but as a manager she has to take these things seriously.
By the sounds of things it is a load of bollocks, but we hadn't heard about it until now so I was trying to help out those on here with kids.
Those on here that know me or are aware of my work should understand how much kids mean to me.

Nobody is having a dig at your intentions, good intentions are the reason things like this spread so quickly, that's why the perpetrators choose emotive issues.

Surely your wife will know who the mail appeared to be from, surely it didn't just say "love The Police xoxo" at the bottom?

It would have taken less time than it took you to post the thread on here for you or your wife to check and see it's a load of rubbish - the first hit on Google is a link to Snopes disproving it

Nobody is having a dig at your intentions, good intentions are the reason things like this spread so quickly, that's why the perpetrators choose emotive issues.

Surely your wife will know who the mail appeared to be from, surely it didn't just say "love The Police xoxo" at the bottom?

Well yes of course she will. I never asked who it was from exactly, I tend not to where her work is concerned as there are a lot of confidentiality and child protection issues that crop up.
She's no nugget, and doesn't fall for scams and such like. She's damn good at her job and highly intelligent.
As a manager and parent she has to take it seriously. We checked our children's iPads and deleted the app in question.
Then I posted my warning on here.

The most likely explanation was it was a mail from someone claiming to have had a mail from the police. Speedy isn't the sort to make this whole thing up, he's trying to help, he's a good egg.

Spreading rumours about an app being used by pedophiles without checking is really not on. This is the sort of thing that can ruin peoples lives and whether the intentions were good or not making such serious allegations should really be done with a little more than hearsay from a FOAF. Would you be as understanding if the rumours were about you and were being spread on the internet?

Spreading rumours about an app being used by pedophiles without checking is really not on. This is the sort of thing that can ruin peoples lives and whether the intentions were good or not making such serious allegations should really be done with a little more than hearsay from a FOAF. Would you be as understanding if the rumours were about you and were being spread on the internet?

No I wouldn't. But they're not.

It would have taken less time than it took you to post the thread on here for you or your wife to check and see it's a load of rubbish - the first hit on Google is a link to Snopes disproving it

I don't imagine company policy allows you to check google over safeguarding issues ;)
The most likely explanation was it was a mail from someone claiming to have had a mail from the police. Speedy isn't the sort to make this whole thing up, he's trying to help, he's a good egg.

Thanks. No I'm not, far from it.
Sorry mate

:cry:

Better ;)

Well yes of course she will. I never asked who it was from exactly, I tend not to where her work is concerned as there are a lot of confidentiality and child protection issues that crop up.
She's no nugget, and doesn't fall for scams and such like. She's damn good at her job and highly intelligent.​
As a manager and parent she has to take it seriously. We checked our children's iPads and deleted the app in question.

She clearly fell for a scam this time.

She clearly fell for a scam this time.

As I say she has no choice but to take it seriously.

Hardly a FOAF when it's my wife. And my initial post did state MAY be behind it.

She's no nugget, and doesn't fall for scams and such like. She's damn good at her job and highly intelligent.

Erm..?

(definitely not a dig at the OP)

Do people who fall for this sort of thing consider the full implications of what they're believing or do they just rush into a blind panic because something bad might be happening.

Take this story for example; what exactly do people think the paedos will be doing with this app? How many children must be using it worldwide; thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions? That's an awful lot of information they'd have to sift through just to discover where a kid might go to school, or what their brother might be called. Or are the paedos actually there, behind the screen interacting with these children in a live scenario? How would that work then? Is there a massive call centre somewhere full of paedos chatting up young kids? It just doesnt make any sense.

Alternatively, it's a just a harmless app which allows a child to say 'poo poo' to a cat which will repeat it in a funny voice.

Your choice.

As I say she has no choice but to take it seriously.

Yep, her mistake was spreading it (to you) about before checking the source.

I know you has the best intentions and I'd imagine so did your wife, it's just things like this can cost jobs.

(definitely not a dig at the OP)

Do people who fall for this sort of thing consider the full implications of what they're believing or do they just rush into a blind panic because something bad might be happening.

Take this story for example; what exactly do people think the paedos will be doing with this app? How many children must be using it worldwide; thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions? That's an awful lot of information they'd have to sift through just to discover where a kid might go to school, or what their brother might be called. Or are the paedos actually there, behind the screen interacting with these children in a live scenario? How would that work then? Is there a massive call centre somewhere full of paedos chatting up young kids? It just doesnt make any sense.

Alternatively, it's a just a harmless app which allows a child to say 'poo poo' to a cat which will repeat it in a funny voice.

Your choice.

That's the suggestion. Someone on my FB actually claims to have witnessed the app saying something inappropriate. The things is, don't these just repeat what the user says but in a different voice? If so, their little angel probably said the offensive thing in the first place.[DOUBLEPOST=1392629309][/DOUBLEPOST]
As I've said a few times now, she HAS TO take these things seriously. Believing them or not is irrelevant. Safeguarding children is a minefield.

Well the first thing to do in her situation is check who sent the mail to her, she'll obviously know how to check the headers and things, then it'll be clearly a scam, or second hand info. If, in the unlikely event, the mail came from the police, she should complain to a superior within the force.

Yep, her mistake was spreading it (to you) about before checking the source.

I know you has the best intentions and I'd imagine so did your wife, it's just things like this can cost jobs.

She's duty bound to inform relevant people, it's not up to her to be judge and jury.
I chose to post it on here to hopefully help out other parents.
As this seems to be a worldwide witch hunt I doubt my posting on here will matter in the bigger scheme.

She's duty bound to inform relevant people, it's not up to her to be judge and jury.
I chose to post it on here to hopefully help out other parents.
As this seems to be a worldwide witch hunt I doubt my posting on here will matter in the bigger scheme.

I'd say it's up to her to check her facts though before badmouthing one of the best selling products of a British based company.

It won't matter much but the mods should remove this thread though.

Apparently it's an interactive app that asks questions rather than the ones like Talking Tom which repeat what you say.
For the record Talking Tom is mint :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back