Taking The Knee

I haven't worn a poppy since the tin and poppies used to come round school in the 80s. I'm not big on virtue signalling. Such as footballers shouldn't have to wear them etc. The stick James Mclean got was a disgrace as the whole point is about individual freedom to choose. Ive no doubt some far right idiots love the poppy but we dont have footballers taking a knee in support of Tommy Robinsons etc

And lets hope we never do.

Supporting Mr Yaxley-Lennon the well known criminal and illegal immigrant, is not the same as supporting anti-racism though.

Last edited:

There is a really easy way to stop extremists 'hijacking' things. Do you know how that's done?

Everyone gets behind it 100%. The so called extremists lose any control over it if they become a small minority in a group that all supports the cause. By not supporting taking the knee you are actually handing over the initiative to the people (you incorrectly in my opinion) think are 'hijacking' it.
Football in the UK has made significant progress without ‘taking the knee’ or bowing to a populist/ divisive movement.

A little tip for you - if your strategy for success (in anything) is seeking ‘100% of the people getting 100% behind something’ you will fail in 100% of circumstances.

I'd clap for Kick it Out and support it, if I heard any muppet shouting racist bile at the match I'd highlight it to the nearest steward or copper but if I saw the players taking the knee and virtue signalling for BLM I'd boo as I don't want football to be supporting a Marxist movement or any political movement

BLM didn't start the kneeling, it comes from American football. It's a broad and inclusive protest about race. You are letting them hijack it.

Football in the UK has made significant progress without ‘taking the knee’ or bowing to a populist/ divisive movement.

A little tip for you - if your strategy for success (in anything) is seeking ‘100% of the people getting 100% behind something’ you will fail in 100% of circumstances.

You are 100% correct as Racism will always exist. I will stand with the majority who are against it.

Last edited:
I think they are still doing it because they want to keep the message going. If they stop doing it then everyone will just forget about it again until some othe racist attrocity occurs. Then that will be talked about for a while and then forgotten about and nothing ever changes.

I personally don't think taking the knee is really helping much but I guess it is keeping the discussion going a bit.

The reason it will be forgotten about is that people of black ethnic origin make up 3.3% of the population. It’s a tiny % of the population and they are just not part of many people’s day to lives in many parts of the country. Hence attitudes will be slow to change. Albeit I do believe it’s a generational thing and for every decade that passes the discrimination will decrease

There is a really easy way to stop extremists 'hijacking' things. Do you know how that's done?

Everyone gets behind it 100%. The so called extremists lose any control over it if they become a small minority in a group that all supports the cause. By not supporting taking the knee you are actually handing over the initiative to the people (you incorrectly in my opinion) think are 'hijacking' it.

Your post implies a dislike of McClean for having the audacity to exercise the choice you say is a right.

I would argue taking the knee is not political either. Its anti racist.

Are you criticising me for having the audacity to exercise my choice as to whether i like someone, their behaviour or what they stand for. Now that would be hypocritical.

BLM didn't start the kneeling, it comes from American football. It's a broad and inclusive protest about race. You are letting them hijack it.
Cheers, my mistake for some reason I was under the impression it was part of the BLM movement.
Or he is using some excuse about 'hijacking' to not support it?
You dont give up do you trying to make out people are not supporting a specific movement because they themselves are racist🤔. For some reason I've always been against a doctrine that is responsible for killing tens of millions of people (black and white) across the planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd clap for Kick it Out and support it, if I heard any muppet shouting racist bile at the match I'd highlight it to the nearest steward or copper but if I saw the players taking the knee and virtue signalling for BLM I'd boo as I don't want football to be supporting a Marxist movement or any political movement

Just an honest few questions here:

How many footballers do you think know what Marxism is?

How many of them do you think would support things like wealth redistribution if they did?

Unfortunately I hear and read the M-word a lot these days, largely from people who don't know what Marxism is and use it because other people have made it out to be commonplace.

I saw Joe Biden referred to as a Marxist the other day, which anyone who knows what Marxism is would be in hysterics over.

In this case, We are told that people who support equality for black people are marxists, because the only other alternative is to say that they're being reasonable - bring out the strawman.

As always, it's easier to argue with your projected/inferred version of what people are supporting or believing in, rather than what they actually do believe and say.

Are you criticising me for having the audacity to exercise my choice as to whether i like someone, their behaviour or what they stand for. Now that would be hypocritical.

No. You have the right to criticise or dislike Mr McClean. He has the right to not wear the poppy. We are all good here. We all have rights and nobody ever criticsises or judges anyone for exercising them.

If we could only actually get to the above it would be great.;)
You dont give up do you trying to make out people are not supporting a specific movement because they themselves are racist🤔. For some reason I've always been against a doctrine that is responsible for killing tens of millions of people (black and white) across the planet.

So why argue against a campaign to highlight and reduce racism?

That's what I dont understand.

Last edited:
Cheers, my mistake for some reason I was under the impression it was part of the BLM movement.

They have certainly tried to jump on board it and it all gets very messy - even the slogan "Black Lives Matter" is different to the specific organisation, really. But the taking the knee protest comes from Colin Kaepernick, an American footballer, who took the knee (a move Quarterbacks - he is a Quarterback - can do when they are only bothered about wasting time, not gaining territory, sort of like taking the ball into the corner flag almost!) during the American national anthem at a game in 2016. Police brutality and whatever was kicking off then, as it always is, but the origins of the symbol come from that really not the George Floyd moment this year. Its very much a sporting protest, originally.

For that reason, I think it makes sense for sports people to do it - its kind of the industry way of showing solidarity. Do think, as LEs Ferdinand said, its probably having a net negative effect now, because like all protest politics, it can make people feel like something has happened, when it hasn't. That can let people in power off the hook and misdirect energy for change towards symbols. So probably should be canned, because its not doing any good anymore.

Up to them though, really.

Football is rightly a multicultural game and there'll be solidarity among the players of all colours to kneel...........it wouldn't offend or bother me. The players have got freedom of expression and anti-racism is a worthy cause
Fair enough, but even if a small minority of players felt strongly that they didn't want to continue kneeling, they wouldn't dare even hint at an objection.

Noticed Sky reporter referred to it as showing support for “people of colour” rather than “black lives matter”. There is no place for racism of any sort in the modern world but is there a feeling in the MSM that BLM as a slogan has run its course. The Kick it Out campaign is I am sure respected by the many and perhaps resonates more with the average man and woman that an American movement.
Essentially it's because they are Marxists and although it's a legitimate cause it has been hijacked IMHO and lots of people realise this, I'm in agreement with Dominic Raab in that the only time I would take the knee would be for the Queen or to propose.

Fair enough, but even if a small minority of players felt strongly that they didn't want to continue kneeling, they wouldn't dare even hint at an objection.

Why would you say that?

Are you saying that some players may be racist but go along with taking the knee anyway in case people find out they may be racist?

Its a free country last time I looked. Any person or player is more than free to not take the knee if they strongly object to this anti racist protest.

Back