Taking The Knee

No problem with our players or anyone else's taking the knee. Don't understand why some people take such umbrage. Can't think of an explanation other than they are great big racists.
I think the issue is the BLM movement has been deliberately hijacked/ repurposed as a vehicle for divide and conquer political posturing. It seems to be more likely to spark a destructive culture war than bring about positive change.
Football has made great strides with anti racism issues in the past with initiatives that haven’t been at all devisive.

I will boo it
Nothing against the message or cause, but the players are doing it because they are being told to and fear backlash if they dont, not because they want to.
This is an American thing that we have adopted because certain people think we should.

I dont.

You would boo an act of solidarity against racism? What a bizarre thing to admit to.

Our of interest, would you boo it if you were also sitting near a black supporter? Or would you shit your pants and stay silent? I wonder.

I think the issue is the BLM movement has been deliberately hijacked/ repurposed as a vehicle for divide and conquer political posturing. It seems to be more likely to spark a destructive culture war than bring about positive change.
Football has made great strides with anti racism issues in the past with initiatives that haven’t been at all devisive.

Do you also think the poppy has been hijacked/repurposed as a vehicle to divide and conquer political posturing? or maybe you just castigate James McLean for not going along with it every year?

Last edited:
Noticed Sky reporter referred to it as showing support for “people of colour” rather than “black lives matter”. There is no place for racism of any sort in the modern world but is there a feeling in the MSM that BLM as a slogan has run its course. The Kick it Out campaign is I am sure respected by the many and perhaps resonates more with the average man and woman that an American movement.

the BLM movement is here to stay, there is an enourous amount of activists and equally large political support.
Most people are concerned that their pastime ie watching football has been high jacked by a political group. That should not have been allowed to happen.

You would boo an act of solidarity against racism? What a bizarre thing to admit to.

Our of interest, would you boo it if you were also sitting near a black supporter? Or would you shit your pants and stay silent? I wonder.
I'd clap for Kick it Out and support it, if I heard any muppet shouting racist bile at the match I'd highlight it to the nearest steward or copper but if I saw the players taking the knee and virtue signalling for BLM I'd boo as I don't want football to be supporting a Marxist movement or any political movement

far far to simplistic

Expand on it then. If I find something annoying but its in a good cause (I actually cant think of an example where or when this has ever happened), but if it ever did, I would just keep my annoyance to my myself.

In stark contrast we have lots of people moaning incessantly that footballers and others are campaigning against racism. Why would that be? I dont have the answers. Maybe you can explain in further detail?

Last edited:
far far to simplistic
very simplistic, its as if he or she is deliberately ignoring what BLM stands for. I wouldnt support BLM but support Kick it Out and want to see more black ex players in management and in positions of power in the game. Does that make me racist?

It's not about making a point. It's about making a change.

Change requires a commitment to evolve, to accept that to get to a better place people have to make what are perceived as sacrifices now to get to a better place.

I am really struggling to see how taking the knee at football matches does anything but pay homage to a political movement
Football, not politics man.

4 words sum it up

Last edited:
Expand on it then. If I find something annoying but its in a good cause (I actually cant think of an example where or when this has ever happened), but if it ever did, I would just keep my annoyance to my myself.

In stark contrast we have lots of people moaning incessantly that footballers and others are campaigning against racism. Why would that be? I dont have the answers. Maybe you can explain in further detail?
People arent bothered about footballers campaigning against racism. Many have an issue with a Marxist organisation that has hijacked an issue for its own purposes. You must be very naive or deliberately pretending to be confused if you cant separate BLM movement from standard anti racism

Change requires a commitment to evolve, to accept that to get to a better place people have to make what are perceived as sacrifices now to get to a better place.

I am really struggling to see how taking the knee at football matches does anything but pay homage to a political movement

It seems some are not even prepared to make the 'sacrifice' of watching 22 footballers kneel down for ten seconds once a week. I mean, its not as if they themselves are being asked to take sides by kneeling or not is it? Yet they object to other people doing it? The mere act of seeing it is an insult to them. This makes me very sad.

Change may take longer than we hoped sadly.
People arent bothered about footballers campaigning against racism. Many have an issue with a Marxist organisation that has hijacked an issue for its own purposes. You must be very naive or deliberately pretending to be confused if you cant separate BLM movement from standard anti racism

Do you think the poppy campaign has been 'hijacked' by the far right in a similar manor?

PS - Clearly some people ARE indeed 'bothered' otherwise this thread would not exist.

Last edited:
Do you also think the poppy has been hijacked/repurposed as a vehicle to divide and conquer political posturing? or maybe you just castigate James McLean for not going along with it every year?

I don’t get your point at all. The poppy is not political and no one is forced to comply or engage with it. Someone will always be anti British and not respect the same things others do. That was McLeans choice, he’s lucky he has it.

I don’t have a strong opinion on poppies. The poppy has a century’s worth of history as the symbol of commemoration, BLM has been around for less than a decade - hardly comparable?

What the hell has that got to do with BLM anyway? What are you trying to say or suggest? I am vehemently anti racist in case that’s what you are hinting at.

There is a really easy way to stop extremists 'hijacking' things. Do you know how that's done?

Everyone gets behind it 100%. The so called extremists lose any control over it if they become a small minority in a group that all supports the cause. By not supporting taking the knee you are actually handing over the initiative to the people (you incorrectly in my opinion) think are 'hijacking' it.
I don’t get your point at all. The poppy is not political and no one is forced to comply or engage with it. Someone will always be anti British and not respect the same things others do. That was McLeans choice, he’s lucky he has it.

Your post implies a dislike of McClean for having the audacity to exercise the choice you say is a right.

I would argue taking the knee is not political either. Its anti racist.

Last edited:
It seems some are not even prepared to make the 'sacrifice' of watching 22 footballers kneel down for ten seconds once a week. I mean, its not as if they themselves are being asked to take sides by kneeling or not is it? Yet they object to other people doing it? The mere act of seeing it is an insult to them. This makes me very sad.

Change may take longer than we hoped sadly.

Do you think the poppy campaign has been 'hijacked' by the far right in a similar manor?

PS - Clearly some people ARE indeed 'bothered' otherwise this thread would not exist.
I haven't worn a poppy since the tin and poppies used to come round school in the 80s. I'm not big on virtue signalling. Such as footballers shouldn't have to wear them etc. The stick James Mclean got was a disgrace as the whole point is about individual freedom to choose. Ive no doubt some far right idiots love the poppy but we dont have footballers taking a knee in support of Tommy Robinsons etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Back