Swearing in public

does reading back a statement count though?

Of course it does.

I was once in magistrates court when i read out part of my statement which included ‘you can fuck off as well you geordie cunt’ I was asked by the defence if, as an experienced police officer, language like that would actually constitute threatening, abusive or insulting. My answer of yes, I find being called a geordie extremely insulting got a chuckle from one of the magistrates who could tell I have a mackem accent.

I’ve never been offended by that word. What gives you that impression. Genuine question.

I guess the post 'What about offensive words like pikey?' led me down that path, along with various comments about how the mods should be treating it like a racist slur - sure you can see how one might form an impression. Fair enough if not though, but I think swearing in front of kids in public is rancid.

depends on the company but if there's women or children in said company then definitely not.
i never even said bloody or bugger in front of my parents. the 'f' word crept out once when i was a teenager in front of my mam and got a right telling off. 51 now and still feel the shame of it.

I guess the post 'What about offensive words like pikey?' led me down that path, along with various comments about how the mods should be treating it like a racist slur - sure you can see how one might form an impression. Fair enough if not though, but I think swearing in front of kids in public is rancid.
I think using offensive words is rancid. I don’t think it’s rascist and it certainly doesn’t offend me. If anything I was saying I thought the mods would be offended. Not one person got a warning and if you check the thread I asked the mods why and one told me to report them and see what happens but I never. I was more concerned about people tarring everyone with the same brush. So I can’t see where you got it from.
Anyhow. I swear but don’t swear at people which is offensive. It’s no different than listening to other people’s music when they are wearing headphones, I don’t particularly like it but I would never be offended. You obviously don’t go to the match.

I’ve noticed that some regions swear way more than others. Cockneys are the worst in England but Glaswegeians take it to a different level.

Some fannies at the match giving lad grief for swearing "in front of my kids "

Which section? If it was outside of the family area I’d say it’s fair game. I don’t mind people swearing at the match, it’s part and parcel. I hate people who say fuck every other word in normal conversation though.

I think using offensive words is rancid. I don’t think it’s rascist and it certainly doesn’t offend me. If anything I was saying I thought the mods would be offended. Not one person got a warning and if you check the thread I asked the mods why and one told me to report them and see what happens but I never. I was more concerned about people tarring everyone with the same brush. So I can’t see where you got it from.
Anyhow. I swear but don’t swear at people which is offensive. It’s no different than listening to other people’s music when they are wearing headphones, I don’t particularly like it but I would never be offended. You obviously don’t go to the match.

You literally called it an offensive word. It's right there, in your own words.

Think there's an expectation you might hear swearing at the match, less so if you're just with the kids in a supermarket and someone's f***ing cunt this and that. Like I said, rancid scummy behaviour.

Last edited:
I swear naturally in conversation all the time.

Keep it to a minimum in the work place and try to keep it down if kids are about.

I used to not swear around my parents but over time it's just become the norm yet I still refuse to swear in front of grandparents

I was just musing on the weird rules after hearing someone complain about it on the train

What is the general etiquette you adhere to?
Wash your mouth out
Speaks volumes about you if you can’t string a few sentences together without swearing
You got tourettes ?

I swear naturally in conversation all the time.

Keep it to a minimum in the work place and try to keep it down if kids are about.

I used to not swear around my parents but over time it's just become the norm yet I still refuse to swear in front of grandparents

I was just musing on the weird rules after hearing someone complain about it on the train

What is the general etiquette you adhere to?
I don't swear at work. Ever. Outside of work, though, I'm a right down pottymouth motherfucker

You literally called it an offensive word. It's right there, in your own words.

Think there's an expectation you might hear swearing at the match, less so if you're just with the kids in a supermarket and someone's f***ing cunt this and that. Like I said, rancid scummy behaviour.
So swearing is at the match is ok. But not anywhere else.
Me saying a word is offensive means I’m offended.

Jog the fuck on ya numpty.

I've never sworn in front of parents, and honestly don't think mam or dad ever swear either, at least i've never heard them.
That’s ok matey. That’s nothing out the ordinary the same as someone who does and heard their parents swear.

I don't swear at work. Ever. Outside of work, though, I'm a right down pottymouth motherfucker
My missus loves the word kernt and if we out and she says it everyone is shocked.

Last edited:
I was always told as a kid that, people swore because they could not think of any other things to say in it's place.

Also why swear and confirm you have a lack of volcabulary and thought. Far better to be silent and to be thought intellectual.

Then my Da ruined his explanation, when he hit his thumb with the hammer after missing the nail he was replacing in an item he was repairing. Never knew he could swear like a trooper, as he never, ever used that type of language!

Brother and I both got our arses hit with the leather belt after our smart arse reply, better to be silent, than confirm your intellectually deficient. Still laughed about it many years later, long after the old fella was a memory.....:eek::rolleyes::lol:

Back