Sunderland would be irrelevant in football if it wasn’t for Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking down a road in Topsham when a car pulled up and someone asked me the way to the car boot sale, I explained to him and he said"Thats a nice Sunderland accent", I explained it was often mistaken for that lot up the road, he said, "I could understand you, and my son in law is from Sunderland,so I now know the difference"

Having said that I came up for the Gillingham game and had a pint in The Colliery Tavern the night before the game, and could I fuck explain to this gentleman in there where Exeter was, he couldnt even get Devon or Cornwall!

Been all over and the only time I've had to explain where Sunderland is was in America, when I reluctantly said near Newcastle they didn't have a clue where that was either.
You were all over Europe/the world and people knew were Sunderland was on the map? I find that hard to believe, 90% don't know where Manchester or Liverpool are.

You were all over Europe/the world and people knew were Sunderland was on the map? I find that hard to believe, 90% don't know where Manchester or Liverpool are.
Where did I say they could point out the place on a map?

The Premier league is the most watched league in the world, we were recently in it for 10 consecutive years. Millions of people all over the world will have heard of Sunderland even if they were just watching for the likes of Manchester United and liverpool.

Where did I say they could point out the place on a map?

The Premier league is the most watched league in the world, we were recently in it for 10 consecutive years. Millions of people all over the world will have heard of Sunderland even if they were just watching for the likes of Manchester United and liverpool.
I was under the impression we were talking about relevance and perception. Of course people who watch the PL would have heard the name, just as they heard of Wigan or Bournemouth.
Now with STID people who don't watch english football regularly are starting to have a soft spot for Sunderland.

these people don't really have a clue about football then. club's who compete in one of the top leagues in the world for 10 consecutive seasons will be known to football fans. spoke to a few colombian's in croatia 2 years ago and they knew all about us
Few years ago, "Have you heard of Sunderland football club or netflix". Well obviously SAFC. Some people get too big for their own boots.

What an opportunity this can be. Imagine some billionaires sitting in isolation bored to death and getting addicted to this show...getting on the phone with Donald and the rest is history. :cool:

I find it a little weird how personally a lot of posters in this thread have taken this entirely true, legitimate comment from the STID producer.

It might be harder for locals to appreciate it but when the majority of exiles say "yeah, sounds about right" you'll maybe appreciate that if you aren't from the North East then Sunderland isn't at the front of their minds.

I've had quite a few interactions with people only vaguely interested in football who bring up the TV series.

Unfortunately, the longer we stay outside of the Premier League the fewer people will think of us, kids growing up aren't going to see us mentioned or know our players. We will slowly become more and more irrelevant as just another team.

None of that takes away what Sunderland means to us, it's just the way of the world.

I think in context the statement is correct. There isn’t much interest in our 3rd division football outside of England.

However after 10 years in the prem I think a lot of the worldwide audience will be aware of our existence at least. The longer we stay down at this level the more irrelevant we become to the next generation.

Probably true, nobody really gives a shit about SAFC. Apart from us.....
Then again you could say that about every team apart from the "top 6" in the premier league.

True. And don’t think the Mags are any different. No one outside the NE really gives a toss about them either, other than probably to laugh at them from time to time
thats not true. bars all around the world have newcastle brown ale logos, and they associate that with the iconic top of the 90's, Les Ferdinand and weetabix head etc. sad but true.

A tale on the subject and this still amuses me : I remember during the Micmac PL sEason we were sitting firmly on the bottom of the table. Me and @havanaman were on it on Sunday afternoon around Camden in The Oxford Arms. The Milan Derby was on tv. Two Italian kids were watching next to us, one of each team.
Conversation about the Milan game turned to who we supported. Havanamanput his head in his hands while I tried explaining SAFC. They’d nivver heard of us. So I showed them the league table to much amusement. Then showed em yesterday’s results to raised eyebrows. We’d lost at home narrowly to a big club. Then I pointed out the attendance. They were stunned.

I had em convinced we were the biggest club on the planet by the time they left.

A tale on the subject and this still amuses me : I remember during the Micmac PL sEason we were sitting firmly on the bottom of the table. Me and @havanaman were on it on Sunday afternoon around Camden in The Oxford Arms. The Milan Derby was on tv. Two Italian kids were watching next to us, one of each team.
Conversation about the Milan game turned to who we supported. Havanamanput his head in his hands while I tried explaining SAFC. They’d nivver heard of us. So I showed them the league table to much amusement. Then showed em yesterday’s results to raised eyebrows. We’d lost at home narrowly to a big club. Then I pointed out the attendance. They were stunned.

I had em convinced we were the biggest club on the planet by the time they left.

Spreading the gospel :) They try to take the piss where I work, mainly people who know fuck all about football, when I mention how many league titles we have won, and what the gates are that we are getting now in the 3rd division, they usually shut up

these people don't really have a clue about football then. club's who compete in one of the top leagues in the world for 10 consecutive seasons will be known to football fans. spoke to a few colombian's in croatia 2 years ago and they knew all about us

His comment seems like bollocks like. Ive lived in both Costa Rica and South Korea and plenty football fans I'd spoken to had heard of us like which surprised me.

Harsh saying Sunderland would be irrelevant. I think STID was never about making SAFC relevant. It was about drawing peoples attention to a very unique and unprecedented decline never experienced by any other club who found itself relegated to League One. The drop was long (it is still going on now but at a slower rate. The recovery is very slow and faint - barely noticeable) and severe with dire implications for both owners, and playing staff alike. Not to mention the massive crumbling and disintegration of morale and confidence and a massive rise in dissatisfaction among supporters.

No club who has ever gone down to League One has ever suffered as much as we have. Whilst to clubs like Wolves, Sheffield United, Leeds et al it was a minor and a trivial tiny blip they barely noticed that did nothing to harm them, that they got over easily without even trying by dominating from the start and going up straight away (and presumably with games to spare), to us it nearly meant the end.

Last edited:
To the media driven world anything outside the top half a dozen club in the Premier League is irrelevant, let alone a club currently sitting 7th in League 1, so he is sadly pretty much spot on.

Hopefully though the passion and loyalty of the hardcore fan base will attract further interest in the club as the first series did.
I should imagine that if you said you were a Burnley or Brighton or Bournemouth supporter to foreigners at least 50% would come back with a blank expression so what chance would a third division club have?Apart from the problems it creates for inward investment, who the hall cares what others think.

My experience is very different to that. I usually have to explain where I live - I start with Sunderland, then Durham, then inevitably have to concede its "about 20miles south of Newcastle", which is when people get it.

I'm talking overseas here.
I just go straight to "three miles east of Penshaw monument" and leave them to chew that over.

Harsh saying Sunderland would be irrelevant. I think STID was never about making SAFC relevant. It was about drawing peoples attention to a very unique and unprecedented decline never experienced by any other club who found itself relegated to League One. The drop was long (it is still going on now but at a slower rate. The recovery is very slow and faint - barely noticeable) and severe with dire implications for both owners, and playing staff alike. Not to mention the massive crumbling and disintegration of morale and confidence and a massive rise in dissatisfaction among supporters.

No club who has ever gone down to League One has ever suffered as much as we have. Whilst to clubs like Wolves, Sheffield United, Leeds et al it was a minor and a trivial tiny blip they barely noticed that did nothing to harm them, that they got over easily without even trying by dominating from the start and going up straight away (and presumably with games to spare), to us it nearly meant the end.
Not true,
Sheffield United went even further down and took years to get back to the Championship, ditto Wolves.Leeds lingered for a few years.
You’re talking about Leicester and Southampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back