Sunderland would be irrelevant in football if it wasn’t for Netflix

We’re probably one of the better known English teams outside of the Premier Leagues constant mainstays (Top 6 + the Evertons, Newcastle, Leicester, West Ham, Villa etc).

12th most liked club in the country on Facebook I believe.

We’re probably one of the better known English teams outside of the Premier Leagues constant mainstays (Top 6 + the Evertons, Newcastle, Leicester, West Ham, Villa etc).

12th most liked club in the country on Facebook I believe.
Miss the away day at yours.

99% of the general population only cares about winners. People want to attach themselves to winners. Moreover, it's in the media's interest for certain clubs to win - like a Hollywood film, it's easier to have winners and losers. Whether you're rich or poor, successful or not, white or black - people want to win. So they support clubs who can provide that.
Only 5 clubs in recent history have proved to be serial winners: ManU, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and, finally, ManC. If someone doesn't support their local club, they will support one of these clubs. It's a pragmatic choice rather than supporting clubs that fail and fail again, such as Sunderland and Newcastle.

Trending top ten in Norway today (where I live) so I found that pretty cool
I've heard about nowt else since I got back out here. The noggies and cloggies are all over it mate.
I just go straight to "three miles east of Penshaw monument" and leave them to chew that over.
Well played mate. They usually get the 12 mile north of south hetton from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be an element of truth in this but not entirely... it's a massive club IMO.

Living up in Edinburgh and having to deal with the old firm issue, I was looking for a club I could identify with in the English League's. I didn't want to go and see the Mags, so went to the Stadium of Light to see Sunderland beat Arsenal 1-0 in November 2009. I was behind the where Bent netted the winner and some huge Mackem lad picked me up off my feet in wild celebration! Bit of Elvis at full time and I've been down regularly since then despite the crap times.

The Mrs never understood why I'd bother, then binged on Sunderland Til I Die last week (both seasons) - now she wants to go down to watch the lads.

Bit of both is the point...

Last edited:
It does raise our profile, I had a Liverpool supporter (never been, born in Exeter) mention the programme to me today, he never knew we got 46,000 for that Boxing day game until watching the programme, but who would? such is the obsession of the media with the Premiere League and the top 6

No disrespect to these clubs but are Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley, Palace, Wolves, Norwich, Southampton, Sheff utd better known than us because they are in the premier league, I very much doubt it. The national media are only interested in a hand full of clubs because they really cater for the casual fan...

PS I forgot Brighton ;):lol:

Last edited:
We don't have a global profile and thank God for that. You read social media posts of the Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds and 95% of the "fans" commenting are Somalians, Indians and the rest calling the club "we" and regurgitating hectored old catchphrases and pointless barely literate comments "LFC World Champions The Best 4 Ever" and so forth. Their forums are little better.

I couldn't bear that part if we started winning shit. Your opinion is not as valid as mine. How dare you call our club "we". This actually means something.

I had never really heard of Sunderland AFC until watching the documentary. It was completely compelling.

The fans were the stars for me. What a loyal group -- to show up with consistency and strength of numbers when things are going poorly for the club was amazing. But, what made me a Sunderland fan is the passion. We think of you as kind of refined and restrained people -- but Sunderland fans are just bat shit crazy! I am IN!

Our local professional sports franchise of note is 100% all about the money. They haven't won crap in 25 years and continue to make decisions that stress the bottom line over performance on the field. All we ever hear about is the damn "brand" while the actual team with the blue stars on their helmets consistently suck. I wish to high heck we had relegation!

So, SAFC is a small market team with a rich history and rabid fan base. Is there a salary cap in League 1 or can you spend whatever you want on players? Have they ever considered streaming the games to create an alternative revenue source particularly while the "brand" is so hot? I say that because you cannot imagine the viewership Netflix is getting on the doc over here right now. =)

I had never really heard of Sunderland AFC until watching the documentary. It was completely compelling.

The fans were the stars for me. What a loyal group -- to show up with consistency and strength of numbers when things are going poorly for the club was amazing. But, what made me a Sunderland fan is the passion. We think of you as kind of refined and restrained people -- but Sunderland fans are just bat shit crazy! I am IN!

Our local professional sports franchise of note is 100% all about the money. They haven't won crap in 25 years and continue to make decisions that stress the bottom line over performance on the field. All we ever hear about is the damn "brand" while the actual team with the blue stars on their helmets consistently suck. I wish to high heck we had relegation!

So, SAFC is a small market team with a rich history and rabid fan base. Is there a salary cap in League 1 or can you spend whatever you want on players? Have they ever considered streaming the games to create an alternative revenue source particularly while the "brand" is so hot? I say that because you cannot imagine the viewership Netflix is getting on the doc over here right now. =)

All the games are streamed through SAFSee on the app or website, outside the UK that is. Obviously with the virus at the minute there's nothing to stream.

There is no salary cap in football at all mate, which is mainly why the same teams win every year. Although we managed to spend a f***ing fortune for 10 years in the premier league and acheive nothing.

We are relevant for now as it is recent
I dare say the lack of football will have increased the viewing figures , however the interest will wane
Who gives a fuck ?
Football is a fickle game
The die hard support that we have had for the last 3 seasons are what counts for me

Welcome aboard

Last edited:
I disagree, wherever I have been throughout the world people know exactly who Sunderland are and generally have great respect.

Not sure about that like. In my experience the first response is “are they premier league?” . And this was when we had been in there best part of a decade 😂

We’re not quite a small market team :lol: however I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt
Check out the club on wiki

We’re not quite a small market team :lol: however I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt
Check out the club on wiki

TBF when Americans talk about big market teams they usually mean LA, NY, Chicago etc. Usually because the TV station shows the most local team, so these teams will have bigger viewer numbers. Not really summit that applies to us because all of England is smaller than Texas and we don't have local TV like that. So by his understanding I can see what he means.

Back