Sunderland would be irrelevant in football if it wasn’t for Netflix

Let me tell you now Sunderland will never be irrelevant as long as our long suffering fans continue to support them and we will do that forever no matter what happens Sunderland till I die.

He is spot on . Sunderland as a football club are only important to our own fans. When you explain who you support to a foreigner they tend to look at you with a blank expression . At least after Netflix people will actually know who we are.

Dunno like, everywhere I’ve travelled have known who we are. If we stay out the premier for the foreseeable though it’ll soon change... Never forget when I was in florinopolis over Brazil and one of the locals asked me why a nice club like sunderland had hired a facist as manager(we’d just got di canio)

When you live away from the north east for a while, you realise that all the local clubs are the same - nobody other than you cares about them.

There's a few exceptions of course, but in the main part.
I disagree, wherever I have been throughout the world people know exactly who Sunderland are and generally have great respect.

If we are irrelevant, why make a documentary about us? Sunderland AFC existed before Netflix, before digital and before the internet. It is precisely because we matter, and not just to Sunderland fans, that the cameras were in. Our failures and small triumphs are filtered through the passion and commitment of people who the club means so much to and that is something anyone can relate to. Without that and the club that inspires the devotion there is no TV programme. I haven't watched this series yet, working up to it, know I will watch it but in the same way I knew I would do exams - a nettle to grasp and endure.

I disagree, wherever I have been throughout the world people know exactly who Sunderland are and generally have great respect.
My experience is very different to that. I usually have to explain where I live - I start with Sunderland, then Durham, then inevitably have to concede its "about 20miles south of Newcastle", which is when people get it.

I'm talking overseas here.

My experience is very different to that. I usually have to explain where I live - I start with Sunderland, then Durham, then inevitably have to concede its "about 20miles south of Newcastle", which is when people get it.

I'm talking overseas here.
Been all over and the only time I've had to explain where Sunderland is was in America, when I reluctantly said near Newcastle they didn't have a clue where that was either.

Been all over and the only time I've had to explain where Sunderland is was in America, when I reluctantly said near Newcastle they didn't have a clue where that was either.
America, Mexico, Caribbean islands is where I was referring.

Back