Sunderland would be irrelevant in football if it wasn’t for Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

He is spot on . Sunderland as a football club are only important to our own fans. When you explain who you support to a foreigner they tend to look at you with a blank expression . At least after Netflix people will actually know who we are.
Important and irrelevant are different things, Spurs for instance are not important to me but to say they are irrelevant in football is just wrong.

To the media driven world anything outside the top half a dozen club in the Premier League is irrelevant, let alone a club currently sitting 7th in League 1, so he is sadly pretty much spot on.

Hopefully though the passion and loyalty of the hardcore fan base will attract further interest in the club as the first series did.

When you live away from the north east for a while, you realise that all the local clubs are the same - nobody other than you cares about them.

There's a few exceptions of course, but in the main part.
Every other club is irrelevant to me and I'm assuming other clubs fans feel the same way about other clubs bar the one they follow.
Exactly.

He is spot on . Sunderland as a football club are only important to our own fans. When you explain who you support to a foreigner they tend to look at you with a blank expression . At least after Netflix people will actually know who we are.
Same can be said for every other club in the country baring 4 or 5.

Even Methven got it wrong not knowing the NE before he got involved with Sunderland.
Never been disappointed since my first visit many years back watching us at Darlington. Been up many times since and not just for football.
The coastline is special, the people are generally warm, friendly with a sense of humour and football means something.
Anyone who knows something about football and I refer to those that actually support their club will know about Sunderland and the first thing they are likely to say is their loyal fanbase.

I guess he means that lurking in league 1 and having never troubled European competition bar a couple of games in 1973 then we aren’t particularly in many peoples thoughts outside of Sunderland. With Netflix at least we are beamed into people’s living rooms at exactly the time people are starved of football. Globally too.

So scoff all you want it’s pretty accurate. And who knows.. it may spark a kernel of a thought in some far flung billionaires head 😂🤞

Even Methven got it wrong not knowing the NE before he got involved with Sunderland.
Never been disappointed since my first visit many years back watching us at Darlington. Been up many times since and not just for football.
The coastline is special, the people are generally warm, friendly with a sense of humour and football means something.
Anyone who knows something about football and I refer to those that actually support their club will know about Sunderland and the first thing they are likely to say is their loyal fanbase.
Around the world? No one knows anything about Sunderland. They confuse it with Southampton. Only clubs who played in European competitions are known and relevant. It's frustrating as hell. Like it or not, this documentary made us relevant, people around the world found out about the atmosphere and history. We might even find interested buyers wanting to be in the spotlight. STID on Netflix is the best thing happening in recent years.

Unsure why Sunderland are any different from any other clubs. I couldn't care less about Liverpool for example, they're irrelevant to me.

The fact is though...we ARE on Netflix. Again.

He's constantly gone on saying how much he has resonated with the area. The documentary shows he couldn't be further from the truth. My Dad always says up here you have your dinner at 12 and your tea at 5. People are very set in their ways, but he tried to walk in like Billy Big Bollocks calling the shots and shouting the odds. That approach was never going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back