Sunderland railway station.

I remember when they rebuilt the South End of the station (as it was called because we used to have a North end too) in the early 1960's. The orginal south end had been bombed during WWII so the temporary building lasted 20 years.

It may be of interest to peopleto know that it did take at least 20 years to rebuild most of our cities after the War. Some places like the Barbican (1980-90) and Stratford railway sidings (2012) in London took even longer. When I was growing up as a kid in the 1950's I honestly thought that bomb sites were a normal part of every city or town because I hadn't known any different.

Keep an eye on the following:
It doesn't get updated every day but I think one of the posters takes pics every few weeks.
The photos on that thread man - I don’t think anything has boiled my p*ss as much as the state of that so-called train station over the last 20 years, beyond disgraceful and embarrassing
Hmm, bit shit.
Twist & 21

Last edited:
Quite pleasant that. Anything would be an improvement mind.
The building itself is OK but that roof - it looks like a car showroom or leisure centre. Anything is better than what was there but surely some imagination is possible. Something like the glass roof on the new Whitechapel tube station. What about the seagulls the locals cry - true for every roof around there must be ways and means. Decent metro stop but still poor to average for a city centre railway station. Hope they move the offices or whatever they are at platform level, passengers squeezed onto a metre or so of platform. What should be a wide open platform is just oppressive especially looking onto the brick wall on the southbound side.

The building itself is OK but that roof - it looks like a car showroom or leisure centre. Anything is better than what was there but surely some imagination is possible. Something like the glass roof on the new Whitechapel tube station. What about the seagulls the locals cry - true for every roof around there must be ways and means. Decent metro stop but still poor to average for a city centre railway station. Hope they move the offices or whatever they are at platform level, passengers squeezed onto a metre or so of platform. What should be a wide open platform is just oppressive especially looking onto the brick wall on the southbound side.
This is essentially going to be a metro stop
The main train station building will be at the top end in the old Littlewoods building
Bet the likes of Darin Cummings and his crack head friends cant wait to drink their cider outside of that.
Is that the squad that doss on the corner near joplings? Awful them

Back