Sunderland railway station.

Is that because concrete is more expensive? I know fck all about building and that like :lol:
Probably due to the embellishments on Victorian buildings. I live in an Edwardian house and the designs on the ceilings are great, the skirting boards are twice the normal height and the doors are 2 inches thick. High ceilings but costs a fortune to heat and maintain.

Don't think they are sustainable these days.

The tiniest bit of imagination might help instead of the most basic of design, A BOX!

So given the specific ask from MM, could you not employ the tiniest piece of your imagination to come up with something else?

Everyone is a f***ing expert on this but nobody is prepared to even imagine an alternative. If you want better/different then do something about it: become an architect; petition your councillor; attend a council meeting, etc.

Ah, here he is.

Regardless of any previous, he's correct. The only grand stations are those which provide connectivity. Durham is a mainline station yet it's incredibly basic and, for me - having used it loads over the last decade - the only differentiator is that it's above ground.

Is that because concrete is more expensive? I know fck all about building and that like :lol:
Those buildings are Sandstone, not concrete, As the Edge said, It's a shame Monkwearmouth Station couldn't be moved. It probably could, but the price wouldn't justify it. At the end of the day, Sunderland's just a backwater to those financing it, they won't care.

Last edited:
So given the specific ask from MM, could you not employ the tiniest piece of your imagination to come up with something else?

Everyone is a f***ing expert on this but nobody is prepared to even imagine an alternative. If you want better/different then do something about it: become an architect; petition your councillor; attend a council meeting, etc.
Why does anyone need to be an expert on a box, a personal point without the usual mob on here criticising anyone who dares think differently to them.

We've seen a number of designs to replace the south-end of the station, some fabulous and some in the 'not great but better than we've got' - we'll get the latter.
Personally I'd say it wasn't even in the 'not great but better than we've got' category - looks like an off the shelf Wickes/Tesco shed flatpack.

Getting involved is not that easy. Sunderland Central's MP has since 2010(?) claimed ownership of the local campaign and attends meetings of the interested parties but like the Northern Powerhouse, levelling up etc which most Labour MPs are only too happy to participate in - it's smoke&mirrors stuff, it raises their profile and they can put it on their election leaflet to show they've been busy.

The station should have been at park lane to link into other public transport

Back