Sunderland railway station.

Yeah agreed, I know I probably shouldn't say this, but Labour in the North East really feels like it's a jobs for the boys/girls lately. I'm not surewhat McGuinness has done to be anywhere near the Mayor job, she's bloody awful at her current job. It's the same as Susan Dungworth who's going for the PCC job who's that crap she couldn't even get a council seat.

It doesn't help when you have the likes of Gannon as head of transport or Tobyn Hughes who seems to rock from job to job while leaving a trial of destruction behind.

We really need some fresh faces, to revitalise things, rather than the same old but I look at who's up and it's like, oh....
Well when it comes to new faces I am yet to here from the Lib Dem candidate, he’s a doctor who has decided to throw his hat into the ring, I await his manifesto with great interest, I think in all of there manifestos however should be the leamside line, I have gone over it a few times reading websites on the subject it seems like an own goal for the area, and of course the ferry landing needs looking at also.

Well when it comes to new faces I am yet to here from the Lib Dem candidate, he’s a doctor who has decided to throw his hat into the ring, I await his manifesto with great interest, I think in all of there manifestos however should be the leamside line, I have gone over it a few times reading websites on the subject it seems like an own goal for the area, and of course the ferry landing needs looking at also.

Aye agreed, think it would be fantastic for the region personally. It's all I really want to hear, if anyone dares mentions nonsense like railway lines to Consett then I personally just switch off as it's pie in the sky as an understatement. If they could get the Sunderland link back aswell, there's potential for something there aswell, maybe heading to Newcastle via Sunderland on the odd train for any terminators there.

Haven't heard much from anyone really bar Driscoll and McGuinness.

Aye agreed, think it would be fantastic for the region personally. It's all I really want to hear, if anyone dares mentions nonsense like railway lines to Consett then I personally just switch off as it's pie in the sky as an understatement. If they could get the Sunderland link back aswell, there's potential for something there aswell, maybe heading to Newcastle via Sunderland on the odd train for any terminators there.

Probably more suited to the politics forum but I can't imagine a high turn out for this vote , I know a lot of people who had no idea it was happening

In small turn outs anything is possible

I have been a railway enthusiast since I was a kid, our first family trip out was to NRM, in York, I look at the leamside line and think a passenger train connection between Tyne and Wear and Durham would if the business parks and places like team valley could be included, would open up so much potential for the area.
Probably more suited to the politics forum but I can't imagine a high turn out for this vote , I know a lot of people who had no idea it was happening

In small turn outs anything is possible
Then did you tell them what’s happening?

Last edited:
I have been a railway enthusiast since I was a kid, our first family trip out was to NRM, in York, I look at the leamside line and think a passenger train connection between Tyne and Wear and Durham would if the business parks and places like team valley could be included, would open up so much potential for the area.

Then did you tell them what’s happening?
Of course , I believe people should go out and vote

Of course , I believe people should go out and vote
As do I, I totally love the idea that we about to have major change, and hopefully decades of positive progress, going forward, for all of the region not just those who continue to act like little five year olds who get green around the gills at the thought of the two city’s being equal.

Went to see Jamie driscoll talk about his plans if he was north east Mayor, and he stated he had a budget for the leanside lane to be reopened

Someone mentioned on the politics board that in order to prevent Newcastlecentrism each council have a primary wish list project. And no council can move onto their second wishlist until all 7 councils primary wishlist has been done. Sunderlands wishlist project is supposedly the leamside Lane metro extension. So they'll be a budget of some sort regardless of who gets in.

Someone mentioned on the politics board that in order to prevent Newcastlecentrism each council have a primary wish list project. And no council can move onto their second wishlist until all 7 councils primary wishlist has been done. Sunderlands wishlist project is supposedly the leamside Lane metro extension. So they'll be a budget of some sort regardless of who gets in.
And i would hope its the other way to prevent Sunderlandcentrism, so other parts of the region can get access to funds. all being equal of course.

And i would hope its the other way to prevent Sunderlandcentrism, so other parts of the region can get access to funds. all being equal of course.

I think this will be the challenge with it as it doesn’t sound like the mayor will have the same autonomy as other areas (i maybe wrong) which means to get consensus will be difficult as the majority of funding may need to be concentrated in certain areas. All areas will be pushing to get funding in their own back yard rather than wants best for the majority/has most demand or as part of a long term strategy to regenerate an area.

I think this will be the challenge with it as it doesn’t sound like the mayor will have the same autonomy as other areas (i maybe wrong) which means to get consensus will be difficult as the majority of funding may need to be concentrated in certain areas. All areas will be pushing to get funding in their own back yard rather than wants best for the majority/has most demand or as part of a long term strategy to regenerate an area.
exactly, many will hope that it's not just the cities' aren't just getting most of the money, this has to be for the whole region, so even if people don't live in that part that is getting money for a project will also feel the benefit, when its the turn of for example say north shields, get a new landing for the ferry between north and south, or if perhaps the leamside line gets the go-ahead or if the connections between west Newcastle or other places, get's a project off the ground.
That's why this has been put in place to ensure there's no bias to any of the councils & everyone gets a fair share
yes, and it has to remain so. 1 region not different area's split into factions.

Last edited:

The least I hear from McGuinness the better, she has been a disaster as PCC, she has annually raised the precept (which goes on our council tax) for Northumbria Police and managed to get worse crime figures. She had no qualifications for taking on the PCC other than being a part of the ruling Labour North clique and now she wants to step up or is being pushed to run a multi-billion organisation.

Back