Sunderland railway station.

We should be levelling up. The average London Underground stations are far superior and have been for some considerable time. The money spent on one of them surpasses our budget. The train stations obviously are phenomenal as they deal with astronomic crowds compared to Sunderland’s footfall. As previously stated a billion spent down there on St Pancras.We’re still regarded as The Ho Chi Min Trail

Logon or register to see this image

There you go! The printing machine is on the left, next to the weighing machine.
Having unlocked the funding needed to push ahead with the southern concourse, plans are taking shape for the second stage of the station's transformation to deliver a reimagined northern entrance, with attractive public realm to create the Central Business District statement building and gateway entrance on High Street West. The northern entrance will become the city's main arrival point, with Mackies Corner and the Elephant Tearooms just two of the impressive buildings greeting people coming into Sunderland.

As a bairn I loved the old north entrance. Can still remember cars and taxis coming in and out, the long walk past waiting rooms and little shops to the stairs down to the platform. The machine where you could print out your name on a metal strip for a penny. And the lovely smell of coal and steam!

TBH, dont really give a shit what it looks like, some toilets, a shop and a bar would be good!
Oh and some extra carriages on northern trains on a Sat up from Stockton........:lol:

That's exactly the attitude of why we ended up with the current railway station - toilets and bars went a while back though.
Moving shadows of people behind glass bricks, posters of lost Metro property on the wall, loss of natural light and broken escalators followed.

We take any old shit - even the local trains should have been condemned years ago. We've got no clout, our MPs say they do but they don't give a bugger.

I noticed something today while on the metro that I'd not really paid much attention to before. If the long term plan is to use the ghost platform and extend the platforms, it may mean the the red brick building where specsavers and spot white is has to be demolished, as there's a number of supporting pillars on or very close to where the tracks would go.
Yeah, I think you're right, Guy The Waterloo Place building (Specsavers) is likely to need to be demolished as the supports are in the middle of the other track.

It's going to be a monumental project when they start on this and demolishing the Poundland store for the Northern Entrance building. It's what's needed for a City the size of Sunderland - a statement gateway to the City.. At least SCC are committed to creating these improvements to the Station as they've stated it's a 6 year plan. Personally, can't wait to have a Central Station that isn't an embarrassment and hopefully they'll be able to get more natural light down to the platforms.

I'd remove all the retail on Market Square to flood the platforms with natural light. I posted this previously but something like this is what I was thinking. It's Newmarket Station in New Zealand.

Back