Suicide must be a dark place

I'm a Samaritans listening volunteer. People who have suicidal thoughts can behave in any number of ways. As you suggest, some people do seem to perk up, as though they have made up their mind and they've reached a certain level of peace. Others are the opposite: they project nothing but a bleak vision of what the rest of their life is going to be like, and are utterly bereft at the idea of living (and/or dying). In either case, it's always f***ing tragic when thought turns to action.

116 123
[email protected]

How did you get into that mate?
Can you just do whatever hours you like etc?

Each branch works slightly differently but mine had an online diary that runs which you put your name down against when you want to work. Shifts are usually 2 1/2 to 3 hours though night shifts are longer. Each shift earns you points and you need to do a certain amount of points per 2 months. I use to do each friday night 7:45 - 10:15 and then 1 night shift a month.

I had gave up mine a couple of years back due to other commitments and parenting but I hope to go back sometime. One of the best things I have ever done. Genuinely life changing.

Last edited:

I looked into it and was contemplating it.. quite rigourous at first.

Would still like to do it innsome capacity. To be fair I seem.to have my brain frazzled trying to get naughty kids (bastard teens) on the straight and narrow and down direction doing the outreach and mentoring work I do.

Also looked into MIND who offer phone lines for people especially since my youngets daughter has had some serious mental health issues

five people I know this year have took there own lives. Four lads one lass. Sick of getting phone calls from my mam or brother with bad news.

does my depression no good as I just think about it too much and it makes me poorly.

I’m here if anyone needs a chat it’s helped me loads over the years and I hardly ever post apart from threads like this.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. I need to sort my head out I think. I was in a similar place last summer. Literally no idea why.
Is there anything that could be classed as the route cause ? I’ve had pretty severe mental health issues resulting major anxiety panick attacks and depression. I suppose what I’m saying is you can have a great life if you lean on others to help you through it. If you pm me I can call you for a chat anytime mate. Please believe me your better off alive I promise you that

My Mam struggled with her mental health, I remember being 5 or 6 and her confiding in me that she was going to kill herself. Thankfully, she didn't, but it left a scar. Heart breaking for those close, who are left to pick up the pieces

I’ve been having similar thoughts these past few days. I’m hoping it goes away soon.
There has never been a better time to talk about these sorts of issues than now mate. You won’t find a single person on here who would judge this negatively. Seriously, talk to someone. Ring your GP, ring the Samaritans, talk to those around you if you can - whoever, just talk to someone.
This place is batshit mad at times but what it is is a cross-section of society and hopefully the last few messages of genuine support and care will reinforce to you that there is no shame in opening up, difficult though it might seem at the time. You’ve already taken the first step in being true to yourself in posting here - talking to professionals really will help. You’ll find that there’s a strength that comes as a result and one that manifests itself in ways you couldn’t imagine possible.
From the bottom of my heart I wish you well and sincerely hope that you are able to take the right positive steps.

My Mam struggled with her mental health, I remember being 5 or 6 and her confiding in me that she was going to kill herself. Thankfully, she didn't, but it left a scar. Heart breaking for those close, who are left to pick up the pieces
Yeah my mam said similar to me when I was a teenager, thankfully got the help she needed.
Always best to open up, anyone wants to talk I'm here

I've known 5 people who have taken their own life over the past 12-13 years, 3 of them in the last 2 years and they are just the ones I know personally. It does seem like more and more people are doing it and I feel like the government should be doing more, but I don't know what or how. I don't think anyone even knew what they were going through at the time.
I agree to an extent.

But I think social media is making things worse. Lots of talk about mental health but actions speak louder than words not from the government but from society itself.

I honestly fear for the generations to come and the kids of today. Growing up with so much exposure to pretty horrible and divisive content on a daily basis must be a massive head mess. Tabloid media was bad enough but now thanks to instant video and the global reach, its ruining people's lives on a far wider and quicker scale. There is also the flip side where everyone thinks other peoples lives are amazing and feel inadequate. Relationships hardly stand a chance these days.

Having said that, people I know who've taken their lives have either been because of manipulative ex partners using kids as weapons or alcoholism/drugs.

The former tends to be sneered at and almost excused these days with the man painted as a fathers for justice type loser if they complain. Yet in the next breath mental health is a hot topic everyone (publically) rallies around. The truth is there are a lot of messed up people and ultimately the numbers of people who care range from 1000's to zero depending on who you are.

There has never been a better time to talk about these sorts of issues than now mate. You won’t find a single person on here who would judge this negatively. Seriously, talk to someone. Ring your GP, ring the Samaritans, talk to those around you if you can - whoever, just talk to someone.
This place is batshit mad at times but what it is is a cross-section of society and hopefully the last few messages of genuine support and care will reinforce to you that there is no shame in opening up, difficult though it might seem at the time. You’ve already taken the first step in being true to yourself in posting here - talking to professionals really will help. You’ll find that there’s a strength that comes as a result and one that manifests itself in ways you couldn’t imagine possible.
From the bottom of my heart I wish you well and sincerely hope that you are able to take the right positive steps.

Great post @Tomma and it's true @West_Winger there are plenty of support networks out there.

Feel free to contact me or any other of the other posters who have offered to help. Or make an appointment to talk with a trained counsellor or your GP.

Some companies also offer access to a trained counsellor , not sure if that would apply to you as I don't know your circumstances but hopefully it might help.

But the main message is that you're not alone and there are people who will help.

Take care, and man hugs to you marra.

It's bloody awful when things like that happen when your a kid. My mam took and overdose when I was about 6, we found her unresponsive when I came back from my Nana's, she left a note saying how sorry she was for leaving me etc. Thankfully we came back earlier than planned that morning and after a long stay in hospital etc she came through it but like you say it leaves a scar on you through life.

Social media is going to fuck a lot of people up IMO, especially this generation who are growing up with it. Imagine being in school with instagram and posionous whatsapp groups.

Will never happen but I’d love to see camera phones and social media be illegal for the negative impact it has on so many.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. I need to sort my head out I think. I was in a similar place last summer. Literally no idea why.

Take care mate.

Just remember "sorting your head out" doesn't mean putting on a brave face and trying to crack on with things.

I've battled with my mental health for a few years now. Originally I had no idea why, then I thought it was about some superficial things (a relationship that didn't work out) and I'm now starting to recognise patterns of things that affect me.

It's not an easy process and sometimes it feels hard to talk to someone - in those instances, talk to yourself, write stuff down. Be totally honest with yourself. I now have a gratitude journal to force myself to appreciate good things when my brain only wants to see the bad. Also, spend less time on social media and if you have people around you who are constantly negative, let them go. These things are more of a drain on you than you can possibly imagine.

Back