Suicide must be a dark place

I’ve stood on the pipes at the side of the Queen Alex, never felt peace like it knowing it could all be over in seconds. Thought about my family and it saved me. Always carry photos of them with me now to remind me.

What I think is brilliant about this thread, is that people have the courage to admit that they have/had a problem and others can genuinely offer advice going forward in a variety of different ways, whether it by personal experience or by bring able to put people in contact with those best qualified to help.

It is a difficult topic for many to talk about, but I really do find it inspirational.

You seem to be past the darkest days mate, so the very best to you going forward from here.

To be honest, I think that this thread could really help some people, if it was made Gold.

What I think is brilliant about this thread, is that people have the courage to admit that they have/had a problem and others can genuinely offer advice going forward in a variety of different ways, whether it by personal experience or by bring able to put people in contact with those best qualified to help.

It is a difficult topic for many to talk about, but I really do find it inspirational.

You seem to be past the darkest days mate, so the very best to you going forward from here.

To be honest, I think that this thread could really help some people, if it was made Gold.
Not out of the woods yet by any shot. My family, medication and talk therapy have helped. A hell of a lot.

Not out of the woods yet by any shot. My family, medication and talk therapy have helped. A hell of a lot.

Am totally unqualified to offer any advice, but as others more qualified have said, recognising the problem, talking about it and dealing with it is a hell of a way further forward than where you were.

Despite a lot of the shit people talk about on here, on football, and getting wound up and abusive over nowt, when it comes to something serious like this, we'll all be on your side.

Keep doing what you are doing mate, and I'm sure, in time, no hurry, everything will be ok.
Keep hold

In my 20s I was going through a bad period in my life.... I decided I had enough of life so went to seaburn Roker cliffs... I sat down on a memorial seat looking on the sea... I was completely numb.... A man came over asked if I was OK... I said yes and when he was gone... I climbed over barriers and sat on the cliff edge.. I was crying uncontralably... I went to push myself off... And suddenly stopped...and to be honest I've been thankful for every day since... I imagine the heartbreak I would have caused my family that day.. Life is beautiful even in the bad periods

I have worked for the Samaritans aswell and I remember once speaking to a rape victim.. I spoke to her for 5 hours... A few days later I received a card addressed to me at the Samaritans from the young girl saying thank you..... You have saved my life. I have never forgot that because all I did was listen without interrupting her and that's power of listening

The one thing I say is talk about your problems. People will always listen to you... Never ever feel weak for showing your emotions and crying...don't bottle things up..

I would never do anything like this ever I hope. However last year, due to someone online that is quite well known on social media, they made me think of killing myself live on facebook if it meant everyone would see this person for who he is, and not the fake nice guy he perceives on social media (in my opinion). I rang Samaratans etc and felt like nobody was listening. Luckily it was just a fleeting idea, genuinely not a consideration. I hope Samaratans would offer more help if I was really low.

I would never do anything like this ever I hope. However last year, due to someone online that is quite well known on social media, they made me think of killing myself live on facebook if it meant everyone would see this person for who he is, and not the fake nice guy he perceives on social media (in my opinion). I rang Samaratans etc and felt like nobody was listening. Luckily it was just a fleeting idea, genuinely not a consideration. I hope Samaratans would offer more help if I was really low.
Bit heavy that mate

I will tell you more about it in person mate, I am absolutely fine and all is well. But I had a lot of bother with someone who has a lot of followers on social media, legal threats etc. It is the person I used to work for, not Kirsty Gallacher mind haha
Get yourself up to cricket mate think your dads got one of our games at the weekend

Some brave stories on here from people facing up to their demons.

As I and other posters have said, there is a lot of help out there from qualified people, trained counsellors and ordinary gadgies like me and some of the other posters who have offered to help.

The offer is still there unconditionally, so if anyone's in a bad place, please reach out to someone because people do care.

It's shit. The pressures of modern life and the influences of social media and projection of a perfect artificial life certainly play a part in many people's experiences of mental ill health.
I think as a society we're certainly getting better at acknowledging and understanding mental health but there's much more work to be done. This place is brilliant and supportive to those that need it but we still use mental health as a slur and an insult and then wonder why people, especially men, don't seek help. Actions do speak louder than words, but words are still hugely powerful and can be massively negative or positive.

I could ramble on for hours about this but today is a self care day for me. Instead I'll leave one my own personal experiences of suicidal thoughts Trying to break the loop and urge anyone who identifies with any of the parts to reach out to someone, anyone, and be honest how you feel, people may never totally understand but they don't have any chance if they don't know. Likewise, if you're concerned about anyone ask twice how they're doing, you may never understand but if someone is feeling low or suicidal knowing someone is there to listen is a huge step forward.
My messages are always open and like others on here I'll respond to anyone who messages but there might be a delay. Please reach out to someone. A GP, a friend, family, professional or anonymous online services.

There's huge amounts of services out there to listen such as:
Samaritans: 116 123 24/7 Homepage
Campaign against living miserably: 5pm-12am 0800 58 58 58 www.thecalmzone.net. Webchat - Webchat - Campaign Against Living Miserably
Crisis Text Line | Text HOME To 741741 free, 24/7 Crisis Counseling - text to 85258

Newcastle and Gateshead NHS Crisis Team 24/7 0191 814 8899 or freephone 0800 652 2863.
Sunderland and South Tyenside NHS Crisis Team 24/7 0303 123 1145 or freephone 0800 652 2867. For Deaf service users please text 07889 036 280
Powerful read that marra. Glad you're on the mend.

Any person in a dark place should never have to or need to stay alone whilst being in it.
Life can be an utter b'stard at times and we all get dealt some bad hands.
However, we also get dealt good hands and this is the focus that people need to follow.

Look back at your dark days and remember how you got through them. You effect your own change but some may need that certain time when they need to be carried along before treading the good path again.

Amazing sharing everyone. I used to be a member years ago but lost my log in details. Only just got back on.

Forgot about these threads and how amazing they are. These conversations are filled with genuine honesty which are so heart warming. Sometimes reading the news (given up this last two weeks) the world seems to full of absolute *****.

Struggled with my mental health and depression forever. It’s where I’m often most comfortable. Been in a 12 step fellowship which saved my life 25 years ago, but even clean life can just be hard eh. This period especially. Joyless is a word I’d use.

Reading this has installed a fresh belief that I need to get a structure in place with a psych again, new meds and consistency.
One day at a time folks 🙏👏

I've known 5 people who have taken their own life over the past 12-13 years, 3 of them in the last 2 years and they are just the ones I know personally. It does seem like more and more people are doing it and I feel like the government should be doing more, but I don't know what or how. I don't think anyone even knew what they were going through at the time.

Not sure who is organising it but there is a SEE SAY SIGN Campaign currently.

If you See something that doesn't seem right, Say something to that person, Signpost them to help.

That above is a very brief précis of a fifty minute awareness video.

In my 20s I was going through a bad period in my life.... I decided I had enough of life so went to seaburn Roker cliffs... I sat down on a memorial seat looking on the sea... I was completely numb.... A man came over asked if I was OK... I said yes and when he was gone... I climbed over barriers and sat on the cliff edge.. I was crying uncontralably... I went to push myself off... And suddenly stopped...and to be honest I've been thankful for every day since... I imagine the heartbreak I would have caused my family that day.. Life is beautiful even in the bad periods

I have worked for the Samaritans aswell and I remember once speaking to a rape victim.. I spoke to her for 5 hours... A few days later I received a card addressed to me at the Samaritans from the young girl saying thank you..... You have saved my life. I have never forgot that because all I did was listen without interrupting her and that's power of listening

The one thing I say is talk about your problems. People will always listen to you... Never ever feel weak for showing your emotions and crying...don't bottle things up..

Unbelievable post. The World needs you in it so don’t do anything daft now.
So many decent posts in this thread. Life can be both cruel and tough however always someone willing to help and talk to just as you have helped that girl.
It’s certainly not about the car you drive, the job you have and all that material shit. Some genuinely decent people in the World and we can all lose our way.
Amazing sharing everyone. I used to be a member years ago but lost my log in details. Only just got back on.

Forgot about these threads and how amazing they are. These conversations are filled with genuine honesty which are so heart warming. Sometimes reading the news (given up this last two weeks) the world seems to full of absolute *****.

Struggled with my mental health and depression forever. It’s where I’m often most comfortable. Been in a 12 step fellowship which saved my life 25 years ago, but even clean life can just be hard eh. This period especially. Joyless is a word I’d use.

Reading this has installed a fresh belief that I need to get a structure in place with a psych again, new meds and consistency.
One day at a time folks 🙏👏

One step, you just keep stepping mate 👍
We all have those head demons, just need to cage the fuckers.

Last edited:
A mate of mine killed himself late last year and to this day nobody knows why ......... His daughter put a video on social media this morning and it really hit home that we didnt know how much of a dark place this lad was in

Just think your head must be in the worst place ever to do this and the aftermath you leave for family and friencs is just crazy.

This lad was in a bitter war with his ex over his older daughter but was re married and had other family that is now just destroyed really

Really affected me this morning watching that video and just thinking how lucky i am really
It’s truly awful. One of my close mate’s lass killed herself about 6 months ago. They had an argument, she stormed out and never came back. She was found hanging in the woods. She suffered with mental health problems but we never thought it was as bad as it was. I can’t imagine the pain he must feel.

Once a thread goes gold its locked to further replies, there is a thread on depression where people talk through their problems and help each other out, not all pisstaking on here most are supportive when its needed

Once a thread goes gold its locked to further replies, there is a thread on depression where people talk through their problems and help each other out, not all pisstaking on here most are supportive when its needed

Fair enough

Terrible but I knew when I seen it was too late, I rode my bike across the bridge on the other side about 2 hours prior.. Keep thinking if I'd rode on the same side going I might have been able to talk to him but all ifs and buts as don't know how long he had been there.

😔

Back