Stumbling upon film sets.

We inadvertently walked into a movie set in 1987 when visiting Duxford air museum. I was too young at the tine to know which.

I also had a neb around a set near Skeers at Middleton-in-Teesdale for the flop TV show Beowulf in 2015.

An episode of George Gently in Easington, they didn’t have to change much.

Same here. One of the ABC streets?

A few years later they were filming anorher scene around a old colliery building in Horden. Driving past I spotted a few period cars, a 1960's police transit van and Martin Shaw in a car park.

Eat your heart out Greedy.

Went fishing at the mull of galloway ran out of cans so went in this shop with a few houses etc turns out it was the set for take the high road i think thats what he said anyway (proper jock accent)...there you go. Few years ago mind...

Last edited:
21, (30 years ago :eek:) out with the lads driving around, Metro radio at about 11pm put a call out to any one in the Roker area who wants to be an extra in a movie at the Roker hotel. We piled down and ended up playing zombies in a movie for Channel 4, no idea if it made to the screen, just happy they paid us all in as much beer you could drink.

worked on a couple back in the day as a set builder, only one movie though 'anna nd the king' which we built the set next to this very decent golf course in ipoh, malaysia
worked on a few sets for adverts and other bits and pieces. good money, but the production crews are full of up them selves aresholes who all think they're ridley scott

I was in New York a couple of weeks ago.
We went to Coney Island and they were filming the new Barry Levinson movie on the boardwalk. It's set in the 40's I think so hundreds of extras were in period dress. Very cool to see.
The film being made is called Harry Haft and sounds like prime Oscar bait.

Last edited:
spin off of Fast and Furious which was being filmed in Glasgow last October time. Think Jason Statham was in it.

Was going to Ibrox. Strolling up the road wondering why the place was crawling with huge American blokes with walkie-talkies, turned the corner and the cars were all sat there ready to race up the street which was full of red London buses and taxis. They were pretending Glasgow was London. Obviously cheaper to get Glasgow to come to a stand-still than London. :)

Scarborough 1987, sixth form school trip. Teacher heard they were filming a something near the hotel we were at, so he laid down a challenge to a couple of us (we picked the challenge out of a hat!) to get a photograph of somebody famous on or near to the set.

Pair of us were standing near a refreshments van, trying to work out what was being filmed and if anybody famous was around. Stood around for a bit and came aware that a bloke was standing at the van supping a tea, and started chatting to him but not looking at him, having a canny conversation he told us a lot about the film, and was interested in what we were doing there.

At this point, I’m a bit baffled as to why my mate is letting me doing all the talking, and I notice he’s looking a bit shocked and staring at whoever is talking. So at that point I realise I’m actually chatting to Anthony Hopkins!

There seemed to be a break in filming, so he takes us over to a tables with other people from the film. He introduces us to Richard Briers, Gareth Hunt, Jeremy Irons and I think Jenny Seagrove. He talked them round into a quick group photo. Top bloke!

Later learned they were filming a pub scene for A Chorus Of Disapproval

I also later learned that Patsy Kensit was around too... remember being gutted at not meeting her.

Scarborough 1987, sixth form school trip. Teacher heard they were filming a something near the hotel we were at, so he laid down a challenge to a couple of us (we picked the challenge out of a hat!) to get a photograph of somebody famous on or near to the set.

Pair of us were standing near a refreshments van, trying to work out what was being filmed and if anybody famous was around. Stood around for a bit and came aware that a bloke was standing at the van supping a tea, and started chatting to him but not looking at him, having a canny conversation he told us a lot about the film, and was interested in what we were doing there.

At this point, I’m a bit baffled as to why my mate is letting me doing all the talking, and I notice he’s looking a bit shocked and staring at whoever is talking. So at that point I realise I’m actually chatting to Anthony Hopkins!

There seemed to be a break in filming, so he takes us over to a tables with other people from the film. He introduces us to Richard Briers, Gareth Hunt, Jeremy Irons and I think Jenny Seagrove. He talked them round into a quick group photo. Top bloke!

Later learned they were filming a pub scene for A Chorus Of Disapproval

I also later learned that Patsy Kensit was around too... remember being gutted at not meeting her.
A colleague of mine lives in Bamburgh Castle (one of the apartments), Anthony Hopkins was filming something there, and she asked if anyone on set wanted a coffee. Anthony Hopkins said he did and went and had a cuppa with her and her husband in their living room.

Vera.. they were filming about a 18 month ago in a house opp the lighthouse on the grass at Roker at the top of the cat and dog steps.was walking past with the dag.

Was staying at a hotel in Shepperton cant remember it's name but apparently Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were shacked up there whilst filming Cleopatra, I think.
Tried to get into the bar from the car park only to find that the door wouldn't open, gave it a shove and there was John Thaw reading his lines for an episode of Kavanagh QC. Quick nod before grabbing my key and going to my room.
Not a particularly good claim to fame :oops:

I work at Waverley station and they were building the set for infinity war next to our crew room for weeks and then weeks worth of filming. When I watched it the scenes lasted about 10 mins. Vision black widow and cap were there most nights. Couldn't get near them for pics or autograph like. Was weird seeing a huge metal girder being picked up by some geezer like it didn't weigh anything. Turns out it was made of foam but looked pretty real.
I remember going up and thinking where's that coffee shop and news stand cone from. Our messroom overlooks it. I never saw any filming though.

Universal studios in Los Angeles. Went twice in the 80's and on one occasion the Psycho house was all cordended off. Must have been either 3 or 4. Saw fuck all like.

Also worked on the set of Vera, that God awful Beowulf shite and I, Daniel Blake

Back