Stronglifts 5x5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't start at 20kg either, it just seemed too easy so started around 35-50 - unfortunately I've already got stuck the last two times on overhead press at 45kg! - I don't think there's a problem starting higher as long as you're happy with your form and can take the demoralising feeling when you don't hit one of the weights!

My only failure so far has been overhead press at 40kg (im having to do it seated too), with a 5,5,5,4,4, but next session i managed to complete it.

Failure it part of the plan, just remember 90 secs rest inbetween sets if it was easy, or 180 secs if it was hard.

I jumped up a few times for no other reason that i couldnt be arsed with taking weights off the bar, currently at:

Squats: 47.4kg
Overhead Press: 40kg
Deadlift: 80kg
Bench press: 45kg
Barbell Row: 45kg

I fear failure is on its way this week, i can feel it.

I'm weak as pish !!

I been stuck on 30kg OHP for three workouts now, tried 32.5kgs but couldn't even get the first set of five done, today was the first time I've managed to get 5x5 completed @ 30kgs, so I'm counting that as minuscule progress.

Squats are not so bad, starting to hit maybe 90% of maximum, my form feels ok but I do 5x20 squats (no weight) nearly every time I'm at the gym to "finish me off" at the end of my workout and I'm hoping that practice is helping my form.
Struggled with 32.5 yesterday and on my 4th set tweaked my back/shoulder. Decided try a more narrow grip and pissed the last set?
Lad at work today said my forearms should be vertical, first 4 sets they were definitely not, hopefully this will take me forward!

Any iphone apps for recording training like what someone mentioned for android? may be canny handy

Struggled with 32.5 yesterday and on my 4th set tweaked my back/shoulder. Decided try a more narrow grip and pissed the last set?
Lad at work today said my forearms should be vertical, first 4 sets they were definitely not, hopefully this will take me forward!

I think he's right about the elbows/wrists being in line vertically, not 100% but I've looked through youtube for technique videos myself last week and realised I was doing a "push" press :oops: this is a Rippetoe video which I've watched and took notice of because Rippetoe has been mentioned in D&E before by Titus I think - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss[/ame]

Any iphone apps for recording training like what someone mentioned for android? may be canny handy

The official Stronglift 5x5 app is an iphone product.

OHP was a lot better today only 22.5kgs but my form was good, wish I hadn't skipped through the weights early on, take note anyone else who starts this program !

Currently at:

Squat - 62.5kg
OHP - 22.5kg
Bench - 42.5kg
Dead - 52.5kg
BRow - 32.5kg*

* gonna drop this back down on Friday and practice my form at a lower weight before moving up again.

I did Stronglifts, it is great, but you want to do the old version with reverse rows and pull ups in it.

If you want a copy of that pm me ;)

So-so performance last night. Still progessing well on squat and deadlifts, was 90kg on each last night so knocking on the door of 200lb which will be a big milestone. I didn't succeed at the OHP though - did 5,5,5,4,4 with 47.5kg - thing was I knew going for the 5th one on the fourth set that I wasn't going to do it and feel like I gave in too easily. Going to make sure I do it next time no matter how much screaming and grunting it takes.

Done some 1 rep max lifts after the last couple of training sessions. Worked up to..

Deadlift 185kg x 1 with chalk (dont have any more weight to go heavier)
Bench 115kg x 1 (failed 120kg attempt)
Squat 140kg x 1 (failed 150kg attempt)

All with good form. Added 10kg to max bench and I could probably get a few kg more on all if I hadn't attempted them straight after the normal training session. :)

What's the protocol for moving up weight? I'm getting to sticking points on most lifts now but still managing to grind out the reps. But is it right to move up if i manage it but am half dead on the floor after from pushing so hard and squeezing the last one out or should I be able to do the weight with nice controlled movement before increasing?

What's the protocol for moving up weight? I'm getting to sticking points on most lifts now but still managing to grind out the reps. But is it right to move up if i manage it but am half dead on the floor after from pushing so hard and squeezing the last one out or should I be able to do the weight with nice controlled movement before increasing?

only move up if you think you can lift the weight but if you fail at a certain weight tgen try again a few more times then drop down and reset and move up again, don't be so tied to doing one thing though and let the improvement come instead of chasing it and getting injured.

Done some 1 rep max lifts after the last couple of training sessions. Worked up to..

Deadlift 185kg x 1 with chalk (dont have any more weight to go heavier)
Bench 115kg x 1 (failed 120kg attempt)
Squat 140kg x 1 (failed 150kg attempt)

All with good form. Added 10kg to max bench and I could probably get a few kg more on all if I hadn't attempted them straight after the normal training session. :)

great lifts mate how much you weigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back