Stronglifts 5x5

When rippetoe suggests 3x5 sets are you supposed to do them with more weight than on strong lift 5x5?

I.e. There is less overall volume per workout otherwise.

And what does he suggest re: progression? Is it similar to strong lifts with adding 2.5kg on all apart from deadlifts where you add 5kg per workout?

After 3 weeks strong lifts I am doing including Olympic bar:

Squats: 70kg
ohp: 35kg
Dead: 70kg
Bench: 60kg
I need to include bent over row but need to practice form and rippetoe suggests alternatives so I do 3x8 chin ups.
Just lift what you can with good form. Add the smallest increments you can on all lifts IMO and do that every session, when you fail try that weight again a few times then reset and keep progressing.

Eat plenty protein and get plenty calories.

Don't worry about anything else

Not enjoying it so much now that the weights are hard to be honest. This thread has been helpful though as I have been wondering what to do when I hit full on everything.

One thing though, I hate barbell rows, I don't think I do them properly and they put pressure on my back which I hurt last week. Can I substitute them or should I stop being daft and figure out how to do them well?

Not enjoying it so much now that the weights are hard to be honest. This thread has been helpful though as I have been wondering what to do when I hit full on everything.

One thing though, I hate barbell rows, I don't think I do them properly and they put pressure on my back which I hurt last week. Can I substitute them or should I stop being daft and figure out how to do them well?

Better off doing something which will keep you enjoying training. You could do dumbbell rows or weighted pull ups.

You could try another programme.
I got fed up of doing 5 sets so switched to 3x5 with heavier weights.

Have a look at greyskull lp.

I also go fed up of doing loads of squats and my back was hurting so I now do goblet squats and leg presses.

Some people are designed to lift heavy weights and others aren't.

Watch some videos. Think of two things, how is your body angled and where do you row to (ie, mid abs, nipples etc) and make sure it's correct. Everyone is better off sacrificing weight for higher reps on back as it is such a mass of muscles and more complicated than any other major group. Drop weight and increase volume if necessary.

Urgh I done strong lifts and the thought of squats every session makes me wince. I never got injuries as well until this program.

Probably poor form I'm guessing mate. Quite common.

Look at pendlay rows

Just started this programme again and it's got me doing it every day rather then every other with 2 days off? Only squatting 37kg so im gathering its normal for light loads??

I'm sure when I started last time it only had me doing it 3 times a week regardless of the weight.

Back