Stronglifts 5x5

Well my routines at the moment all start with squat and its been coming on probably about 4th or 5th set of squats and then stays till about 1-2 hours after I've finished. But its also happening whenever I do other strenuous things like throwing my 2 year old in the air etc so its definitely linked to activity. I had similar pains ages ago, before I lifted, after I'd over done it in the garden lifting sand and cement but it went away after a few weeks (and I wasn't lifting then so was easy to rest) - I thought at the time it was just overuse but reading up on internet (prob the worst thing you can do), it seems a trapped or compressed nerve could be a culprit.

Couple of years ago now but I used to get shooting pain in my arm. Down the forearm, elbow and sometimes up to the bicep. Started after about 6 month of weight training and it happened on pulling movements and sometimes when sparring, my arm would be shaking. Usually cold water would take the pain away. Went to the GP and she said it was tendonitis. Hopefully you dont have it as it took ages to go away and it stopped me weight training. Only just starting back up now.

I dropped the bar doing my 95kg squat last night (on the 3rd set). I only use spotters rather than a full squat rack so it went crashing to the floor (from me in the bottom position so a few feet off ground) - the ends of the bar are now very bent!!

Anyone else done something stupid like this?!

Thinking I may need to upgrade my equipment (as well as my form!). What's more important:

- getting a proper squat rack
- get better bar
- get rubber plates?

i dropped the bar doing my 95kg squat last night (on the 3rd set). I only use spotters rather than a full squat rack so it went crashing to the floor (from me in the bottom position so a few feet off ground) - the ends of the bar are now very bent!!

Thinking i may need to upgrade my equipment (as well as my form!). What's more important:

- get better bar
- get rubber plates?
is it an oly bar you're using? Bent from 95kg, it must be made from cheese!

is it an oly bar you're using? Bent from 95kg, it must be made from cheese!

Its a york beefy bar as I have standard plates - so the bar itself is quite good quality (certainly not compared to a good oly bar though) but the sleeves where you put the weights are only 1inch and this is where it bent!

If going for an oly bar, any recommendations? (sub-200)

Its a york beefy bar as I have standard plates - so the bar itself is quite good quality (certainly not compared to a good oly bar though) but the sleeves where you put the weights are only 1inch and this is where it bent!

I just get all my weights from here:

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...rstore&pmt=e&gclid=CMu4hfSitrgCFS3HtAodJDAAsw

not the best quality but cheap enough and never had any problems. Can collect from Royal Quays too if you wanted anything quicker.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GYMANO-PR...UK_Strength_Training&var=&hash=item257e59689d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/York-Olym...1?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item27d4e73155

I've got this rack for 180 and a cheap 7ft oly bar similar to the one in the second link. The grip on cheap bars like these are rubbish but I use chalk on heavy sets and that sorts my grip out.

For oly weight, I just keep searching for job lots/ second hand stuff locally. I try to get it for as close to £1 per kg as possible but it usually goes for close to 1.50/£2 kg.

I just get all my weights from here:

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...rstore&pmt=e&gclid=CMu4hfSitrgCFS3HtAodJDAAsw

not the best quality but cheap enough and never had any problems. Can collect from Royal Quays too if you wanted anything quicker.

looks cheap that. Cheers for the link

Last edited:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GYMANO-PR...UK_Strength_Training&var=&hash=item257e59689d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/York-Olym...1?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item27d4e73155

I've got this rack for 180 and a cheap 7ft oly bar similar to the one in the second link. The grip on cheap bars like these are rubbish but I use chalk on heavy sets and that sorts my grip out.

For oly weight, I just keep searching for job lots/ second hand stuff locally. I try to get it for as close to £1 per kg as possible but it usually goes for close to 1.50/£2 kg.

looks cheap that. Cheers for the link

Cheers. I've bought a bar (apparently rated to 700kg!) and 75kg of iron weights from that fitness superstore and it was £210ish.

I've then found 2 20kg rubber weights on sshealthfoods.com for £50 a piece which seemed cheaper than anywhere else. So £310 all in for new bar and 125kg of weights - not too bad, but I'm gutted I spent money just two months ago on a load of standard plates.

Will look to get a rack like that in the near future I think. I'm already spending in lieu of getting a bonus this year (in september hopefully) so will wait till then to get the rack!

Cheers. I've bought a bar (apparently rated to 700kg!) and 75kg of iron weights from that fitness superstore and it was £210ish.

I've then found 2 20kg rubber weights on sshealthfoods.com for £50 a piece which seemed cheaper than anywhere else. So £310 all in for new bar and 125kg of weights - not too bad, but I'm gutted I spent money just two months ago on a load of standard plates.

Will look to get a rack like that in the near future I think. I'm already spending in lieu of getting a bonus this year (in september hopefully) so will wait till then to get the rack!

Theres 185kg set for £280 would work out cheaper for an extra 50kg weight unless ive worked that out wrong!! might want to re order ;) http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...85kg_trigrip_olympic_weight_set_/12267_p.html

Same on buying standard plates. I have 400kg of chrome weights off ebay I bought a few month ago that now never gets used :lol: need to get it sold

Theres 185kg set for £280 would work out cheaper for an extra 50kg weight unless ive worked that out wrong!! might want to re order ;) http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...85kg_trigrip_olympic_weight_set_/12267_p.html

Same on buying standard plates. I have 400kg of chrome weights off ebay I bought a few month ago that now never gets used :lol: need to get it sold

Yeah I saw that set though the bar is a lesser rating than the one I got and I also wanted a ouple of big rubber plates for if/when I drop the bar again!

i might post another motivational speech tomorrow.

What happened to this?!

I'm in serious need of it. Week 8 done on Stronglifts now - failed on every exercise last night and it seems like my progress has really stalled the last 2 weeks, not to mention aches and pains everywhere. Had a good session at the physio yesterday and not surprisingly he said to take it easy.

Think I'm going to take a week off the weights to try and get everything properly rested, don;t think my 32 year old body can take this constant pounding.

I'm also seriously tempted to now take on a new routine given the amount of stalling, just to try and freshen things up. Been researching online and the All Pro Beginner Routine seems to be another highly recommended one - lower weight but higher reps than Stornglifts - might suit me more given the strain I feel I've been under with the heavier weights?

Any one else heard of or done the All Pro one?

Have a de- load week, allow your muscles to fully heal. Only lift 50% of your usual weight for the week. You'll come back strong as fuck. Just don't hammer the beer during this week

What happened to this?!

I'm in serious need of it. Week 8 done on Stronglifts now - failed on every exercise last night and it seems like my progress has really stalled the last 2 weeks, not to mention aches and pains everywhere. Had a good session at the physio yesterday and not surprisingly he said to take it easy.

Think I'm going to take a week off the weights to try and get everything properly rested, don;t think my 32 year old body can take this constant pounding.

I'm also seriously tempted to now take on a new routine given the amount of stalling, just to try and freshen things up. Been researching online and the All Pro Beginner Routine seems to be another highly recommended one - lower weight but higher reps than Stornglifts - might suit me more given the strain I feel I've been under with the heavier weights?

Any one else heard of or done the All Pro one?
I'll be on week 8 next week and I'm failing on stuff also.
I don't want to change routines again so I'm gonna keep at it as long as I can even when the plateaus start.
I'm worried about my back more than anything, do I need a belt now the lifts are getting heavy?

Lewberry, wheres our motivational speech????

I dropped the bar doing my 95kg squat last night (on the 3rd set). I only use spotters rather than a full squat rack so it went crashing to the floor (from me in the bottom position so a few feet off ground) - the ends of the bar are now very bent!!

Thinking I may need to upgrade my equipment (as well as my form!). What's more important:

- get better bar
- get rubber plates?

I bought this a while back, has pretty much everything you'll need imo, apart from maybes a rope attachement which can be bought for peanuts. Got it financed over 12 months so was working out cheaper than the gym.

Worth every penny.

if you're stalling you can deload or reset, just knock 10% off what you lift, you won't be able to progress from one workout to the next after about 3 months I reckon but if you've failed before that then you could reset and work your way up again keep peaking then resetting and you will definitely progress.

but if you aren't eating enough you're working against yourself and if you're more bothered about weight loss then stay at a weight you can do and accept you'll progress slower.

so I want you to go out there and break personal records :cool:

another thing you could do is to reduce your sets to 3 and keep the heavier weight.

if you're stalling you can deload or reset, just knock 10% off what you lift, you won't be able to progress from one workout to the next after about 3 months I reckon but if you've failed before that then you could reset and work your way up again keep peaking then resetting and you will definitely progress.

but if you aren't eating enough you're working against yourself and if you're more bothered about weight loss then stay at a weight you can do and accept you'll progress slower.

so I want you to go out there and break personal records :cool:

another thing you could do is to reduce your sets to 3 and keep the heavier weight.

I can't believe that eating has been my problem, I've put on 12 pounds in 8 weeks!

How's progress, lads?

I've switched programmes for now, the repeated heavy sessions was too much for me. Doing All Pros Beginner Routine now which uses sets of 8 rather than 5, and its only one heavy set a week, only just started but it feels a lot easier on my joints and back than working so close to my max all the time. Still hoping to make solid progress but it won't be as quick as with Stronglifts.

I bought this a while back, has pretty much everything you'll need imo, apart from maybes a rope attachement which can be bought for peanuts. Got it financed over 12 months so was working out cheaper than the gym.

Worth every penny.

that looks a decent bit of kit in all fairness....I'm quite tempted just need to make space in the garage and make sure it will fit.

Back