Stronglifts 5x5

Destructeur

Midfield
Has anyone completed the 12 week programme and if so what are your thoughts on the programme? What results did you see?

I've just started this week for something different and it seems odd to me because it just doesn't seem like enough work

Has anyone completed the 12 week programme and if so what are your thoughts on the programme? What results did you see?

I've just started this week for something different and it seems odd to me because it just doesn't seem like enough work

Solid programme, not completed it myself but seen plenty who have. You could get away with adding some extra accessory work, there are some good routines out there which are essentially adjusted versions of stronglifts.

Solid programme, not completed it myself but seen plenty who have. You could get away with adding some extra accessory work, there are some good routines out there which are essentially adjusted versions of stronglifts.

Would you expect to actually be able to build muscle mass from a programme like that?

Would you expect to actually be able to build muscle mass from a programme like that?

Yep, people do so on 3x5s. It's generally overestimated how much you need to grow. I haven't done any more than 4 sets for my back and no more than 3 for my biceps in about a year and made good progress.

Will link one later mate, on phone ATM

Starting next week, just spent a years with of gym fees on kitting out me garage!
Should I just start with the basic routine or is it worth starting with the extras from the beginning?

Starting next week, just spent a years with of gym fees on kitting out me garage!
Should I just start with the basic routine or is it worth starting with the extras from the beginning?
Might as well start from the basic routine and see how well you go and what your recovery rate is like. If you've got extra to give after trying it then start with some accessory work.

I started off with basic stronglifts and started with just the bar on all exercises (3 each time), but felt it wasnt enough so threw in some other exercises to feel the DOMS the next day. But now the weight is starting to build (addind 2.5kg each time) on the bar its getting a lot harder, so these isolation exercises will get scrubbed soon.

Day1

5 x 5 x Squat
5 x 5 x Bench
5 x 5 x BOR

Day2

5 x 5 x Squat
5 x 5 x Overhead Press
1 x 5 x Deadlift

I started this on Friday and done workout B today, I felt on Friday the bar alone (20kg) was too light, so added a little bit.

Squats 30kg 5x5
OPress 25kg 5x5
Deadlift 40kg 1x5

Then done some Ab work on the mats.

I'm really looking to nail my form, any recommended technique videos of these exercises ?

I started this on Friday and done workout B today, I felt on Friday the bar alone (20kg) was too light, so added a little bit.

Squats 30kg 5x5
OPress 25kg 5x5
Deadlift 40kg 1x5

Then done some Ab work on the mats.

I'm really looking to nail my form, any recommended technique videos of these exercises ?

I'm just into week 3, the one I struggle with formwise is the Barbell Row - I feel like I'm shrugging my shoulders too much and not sure if that defeats the object of the move or if its ok. I'm currently doing the same weight for rows as for bench press (47.5kg) and not sure if its right to expect the rows to be at same weight - maybe I'm just trying to lift too much on the rows

I'm just into week 3, the one I struggle with formwise is the Barbell Row - I feel like I'm shrugging my shoulders too much and not sure if that defeats the object of the move or if its ok. I'm currently doing the same weight for rows as for bench press (47.5kg) and not sure if its right to expect the rows to be at same weight - maybe I'm just trying to lift too much on the rows

Once you start failing and having to retry certain weights things will sort themselves out naturally. Just keep adding 2.5kg to exercises and 5kg to dead lifts and you'll be right.

I know what you mean, I done barbell rows today, felt like I wasn't pulling the weight up high enough and only to the bottom of my ribs.

Found this - Barbell Row - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-qgwlP0J90[/ame]

Struggled with the overhead press today and the barbell rows are, awkward.

Seem to have located my shoulders as a weak point, any recommended extra work I could do to increase strength in these areas?

I done 3 x 10 on the technogym shoulder press machine after the 5x5 workout but I'm guessing that'll help, rather than knowing.

Struggled with the overhead press today and the barbell rows are, awkward.

Seem to have located my shoulders as a weak point, any recommended extra work I could do to increase strength in these areas?

I done 3 x 10 on the technogym shoulder press machine after the 5x5 workout but I'm guessing that'll help, rather than knowing.

The shoulder joint is the most unstable and overworked joint of all and susceptible to easy injuries and overuse. I found that modifying and either changing or totally omitting most shoulder exercises (apart from ohp) sorted it out. They used to ache like fuck for days, not a muscle ache but deep in the joint, ligament pain.

5x5 on OHP is sufficient stimulation, especially when you consider the other exercises that will hit the delts also.

Back