Stronglifts 5x5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shoulder joint is the most unstable and overworked joint of all and susceptible to easy injuries and overuse. I found that modifying and either changing or totally omitting most shoulder exercises (apart from ohp) sorted it out. They used to ache like fuck for days, not a muscle ache but deep in the joint, ligament pain.

5x5 on OHP is sufficient stimulation, especially when you consider the other exercises that will hit the delts also.

Thanks for the replys, think I'll put that down as a very painful lesson learned :oops: I've spent the weekend on ibuprofen and rubbing in ibuprofen gel too, I thought maybe it was because I'm old, now I know better :lol:

Take care of your shoulders mate, I spent years with them in pain due to incorrect exercises.

Definitely this.

Do plenty of rear-delt stuff like facepulls and also spend plenty of time warming up and doing rotator cuff work. I haven't had any sort of serious shoulder injury despite boxing and now powerlifting, which is relatively rare *touch wood*.

I'm doing cardio on off days, is this going to hamper my recovery/gains?
I know the plan states 3 x a week strong lifts is all you need but I actually enjoy my cardio and don't really want to give it up.
This is what I did last week:
Monday - insanity pure cardio (37 mins total incl warm-up stretch and cool down)
Tuesday - Stronglifts
Wednesday - as Monday
Thursday - Stronglifts
Friday - insanity Cardio max (55 mins total)
Saturday - Stronglifts
Sunday - 12 mile cycle (fast) / half bottle of red and 8 pints of lager:roll:

I'm doing cardio on off days, is this going to hamper my recovery/gains?
I know the plan states 3 x a week strong lifts is all you need but I actually enjoy my cardio and don't really want to give it up.
This is what I did last week:
Monday - insanity pure cardio (37 mins total incl warm-up stretch and cool down)
Tuesday - Stronglifts
Wednesday - as Monday
Thursday - Stronglifts
Friday - insanity Cardio max (55 mins total)
Saturday - Stronglifts
Sunday - 12 mile cycle (fast) / half bottle of red and 8 pints of lager:roll:

I'm new to this lifting lark, having previously just been in to running, though I did Insanity at the start of the year and started Stronglifts a month ago to see if I could add on a bit of extra muscle. I've actually cut cardio out altogether for now. The way I see it is that 3 months without cardio won't kill me. I want to see if I can actually make this work properly so will give it the full 3 months and then take stock. I've added on 7lbs in the first 4 weeks though admittedly I think some of it is fat but I'm hoping as the weights continue to increase this will start to go if I keep my diet consistent!

I'm new to this lifting lark, having previously just been in to running, though I did Insanity at the start of the year and started Stronglifts a month ago to see if I could add on a bit of extra muscle. I've actually cut cardio out altogether for now. The way I see it is that 3 months without cardio won't kill me. I want to see if I can actually make this work properly so will give it the full 3 months and then take stock. I've added on 7lbs in the first 4 weeks though admittedly I think some of it is fat but I'm hoping as the weights continue to increase this will start to go if I keep my diet consistent!
I'm really resistant to cutting out my cardio I just can't bring myself to do it!
I'm enjoying doing a bit of both and the way I see it if I'm enjoying my exercise I'm not gonna stop, just looking at ways of getting the balance right.
If it hampers my muscle gain a bit then it just takes a bit longer I suppose.
I feel ATM I'm in for the long haul, not looking for a quick fix so it doesn't matter if it takes a bit longer as long as I'm enjoying it

Fatigue and what is called the 'interference effect'.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzvzLeLgoDOxVWJnbU1qWDBvZ2M/edit

I'd do some GPP work, farmers walks etc.
Gotto say Titus I'm not thick but that was some hard reading!!

All I really took on board was don't run but cyclings not too bad

I'm hitting about 90% of my max already on the 5x5 program, I'm only 7 workouts into it :oops: and I just can't see how I'm going to be able to continue for 12 weeks (36 workouts) but I'm just continuing in hope.

EDIT - Actually thinking about it, I jumped from just the bar (20kg) on all exercises in session 1 (Workout A) to,

(Workout B - 30, 25, 40)
(Workout A - 35, 30, 22.5)

... for my next workouts after the 1st, so maybe this is why I'm starting to max out already. Maybe there's a lesson for anyone like me who is weak as piss and wanting to start this program, be patient and follow the program precisely, giving your body time to change and grow.

:confused:

Last edited:
I'm hitting about 90% of my max already on the 5x5 program, I'm only 7 workouts into it :oops: and I just can't see how I'm going to be able to continue for 12 weeks (36 workouts) but I'm just continuing in hope.

EDIT - Actually thinking about it, I jumped from just the bar (20kg) on all exercises in session 1 (Workout A) to,

(Workout B - 30, 25, 40)
(Workout A - 35, 30, 22.5)

... for my next workouts after the 1st, so maybe this is why I'm starting to max out already. Maybe there's a lesson for anyone like me who is weak as piss and wanting to start this program, be patient and follow the program precisely, giving your body time to change and grow.

:confused:
Aye, a was tempted to jump weights but I haven't and I'm glad!

Aye, a was tempted to jump weights but I haven't and I'm glad!

Good for you, I now think it was the right thing to do, I don't know what I'll do myself, I'm only upping the weight by 2.5kg on all exercises now and think I'll have to plateau some weight for a while once I get to failure x 3, still going to do the full 12 weeks and who knows, maybe I'll keep one step ahead :-D

Good for you, I now think it was the right thing to do, I don't know what I'll do myself, I'm only upping the weight by 2.5kg on all exercises now and think I'll have to plateau some weight for a while once I get to failure x 3, still going to do the full 12 weeks and who knows, maybe I'll keep one step ahead :-D

I didn't start at 20kg either, it just seemed too easy so started around 35-50 - unfortunately I've already got stuck the last two times on overhead press at 45kg! - I don't think there's a problem starting higher as long as you're happy with your form and can take the demoralising feeling when you don't hit one of the weights!

I didn't start at 20kg either, it just seemed too easy so started around 35-50 - unfortunately I've already got stuck the last two times on overhead press at 45kg! - I don't think there's a problem starting higher as long as you're happy with your form and can take the demoralising feeling when you don't hit one of the weights!

:lol::lol:

The overhead press is a killer, took me about 60 seconds to get that final rep out on Friday, I was going purple !

I got past my dreaded OHP at 45kg last night! Let out a little cheer for myself too though my lower back is a bit sore this morning, was leaning back far too much for the very last rep - need to squeeze my arse more apparently. Going to retry 45kg again just to do it with proper form.

Also felt my form going a little for the first time on squats, doing 80kg - happy enough to keep cracking on with that one though. At what stage have others got stuck on squats? I weigh 85kg so I'm just approaching bodyweight and I don't think it will be much longer before I'm struggling

I got past my dreaded OHP at 45kg last night! Let out a little cheer for myself too though my lower back is a bit sore this morning, was leaning back far too much for the very last rep - need to squeeze my arse more apparently. Going to retry 45kg again just to do it with proper form.

Also felt my form going a little for the first time on squats, doing 80kg - happy enough to keep cracking on with that one though. At what stage have others got stuck on squats? I weigh 85kg so I'm just approaching bodyweight and I don't think it will be much longer before I'm struggling

I weigh 70kg, got up to 72.5 on squats and while I can manage the weight, in getting severe pain at the top of my legs / groin.

Got up to 95kg on deadlifts but must've had poor form as I've done in my lower back.

Had to have a couple of weeks off and thought I was recovered, but set it off again straight away.

Think ill have to take at least three weeks now so ill be pretty much starting again n

I'm weak as pish !!

I been stuck on 30kg OHP for three workouts now, tried 32.5kgs but couldn't even get the first set of five done, today was the first time I've managed to get 5x5 completed @ 30kgs, so I'm counting that as minuscule progress.

Squats are not so bad, starting to hit maybe 90% of maximum, my form feels ok but I do 5x20 squats (no weight) nearly every time I'm at the gym to "finish me off" at the end of my workout and I'm hoping that practice is helping my form.

just finished 3rd week on this

so far...
squats 60kg - 85kg
bench 70kg -82.5kg
row 50kg - 62.5kg
press (seated) 40kg - 50kg
deadlift 100kg - 120kg

enjoying it a lot more than hitting one body part per session and the light weight lets me concentrate on form.

can see squats getting hard soon!

i add in weighted dips using Olympic gymnastic rings at the end of workout A and weighted pull ups to the end of workout B but doubt ill be able to do that once the lifts start getting heavy.

using the biglifts app for android to record lifts. makes it easy to keep track aswell if anyone didn't know about that already.

I've been looking at some technique videos today on YouTube and now realise I haven't been doing perfect OHP but more of a push press, particularly on the latter sets.

Gonna drop weight even further on the OHP and concentrate on perfect technique, roll on Wednesday.

:neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back