Strauss and his stupid ideas....

But you clearly intelligent enough to know that wasn’t in his remit.

As you say you knew that, you knew it wasn’t going to happen cancelling the hundred, you knew Strauss could not do that, as his employees would have told him that from the very beginning.

So surely in that respect from your point of view it is clearly the ECB to blame not Strauss.

Any employee can only work in his remit.

He was clearly trying to make a compromise from a very difficult situation with what he had to work with, you know that you have too.

Yet not even the slightest admittance of that from certain posters.

As for the other point, without new participation and new blood there is no game that is why it os soo important to get kids involved early as soo many other distractions
these days.

And imo the best way to do that is short colorful entertaining short form cricket in the best time for kids to watch.
Strauss is the ECB and he has made absolutely no compromises in his report. The compromises are all on the counties, just like they always are. If you can show me in the report where it says something like: The 16.4 is the biggest threat to the game but I wasn't allowed to mention it. Or: I should have consulted players and coaches across the sport but I wasn't allowed because they would have given me answers we didn't want, I'll give Strauss credit.

Can you show me that? Or is the report just a load of preconceived bullshit?

And as for getting kids involved, you've taken the sport away from them completely for the peak summer months. It's insane.

T20 is played on an evening. Did you know that OT they used to have school trips? A few different schools at every home game. Straight after school onto a bus to the ground, have a game of quick cricket in the grounds, meet a player or two, watch the game, bus back. Everybody loved them. Can't do that now, kids aren't at school.

The best time to watch evening cricket is not necessarily in the school holidays. The best time to watch daytime cricket is definitely in the school holidays and to take it away is pure vandalism of the game.

I've replied again to you even though you don't give a shit about domestic red ball cricket. I do realise you are fixed in your views, your mind is made up and I've wasted my time. :lol:

Strauss is the ECB and he has made absolutely no compromises in his report. The compromises are all on the counties, just like they always are. If you can show me in the report where it says something like: The 16.4 is the biggest threat to the game but I wasn't allowed to mention it. Or: I should have consulted players and coaches across the sport but I wasn't allowed because they would have given me answers we didn't want, I'll give Strauss credit.

Can you show me that? Or is the report just a load of preconceived bullshit?

And as for getting kids involved, you've taken the sport away from them completely for the peak summer months. It's insane.

T20 is played on an evening. Did you know that OT they used to have school trips? A few different schools at every home game. Straight after school onto a bus to the ground, have a game of quick cricket in the grounds, meet a player or two, watch the game, bus back. Everybody loved them. Can't do that now, kids aren't at school.

The best time to watch evening cricket is not necessarily in the school holidays. The best time to watch daytime cricket is definitely in the school holidays and to take it away is pure vandalism of the game.

I've replied again to you even though you don't give a shit about domestic red ball cricket. I do realise you are fixed in your views, your mind is made up and I've wasted my time. :lol:
I have never once said don’t give a shit about red domestic cricket you just putting words into mouth.

However I am of the opinion that domestic white ball cricket is the best way to get kids involved in the game that were not previously.

And for me like I said new people need to be attracted to the game and cricket needs to evolve to complete with modern interests.

That is what is most priority for me.

And I am of the opinion that during the six weeks holidays,parents who are looking to do stuff with their kids with no school the next day is the best time to schedule a white ball tournament, that’s not outlandish or insane in the slightest, it’s just a valid opinion.

White ball competitions have sprouted up all over the world because whether people like it or not they damn entertaining and fans like them.

Of course I get county members want more cricket for them to watch in the summer and respect that, but imo county championship games although interesting for those involved will not imo bring new blood to the game.

Again that’s not insane it’s just a opinion which is obviously shared by the powers of be.

I have to respectfully disagree with you over Strauss ,as imo you basically saying you knew he would not cancel it, you knew he was told not to cancel it and couldn’t cancel it,but yet at the same time, slag him off for not doing so, and in the above post you actually saying he should have come out and said he wasn’t allowed to mention the hundred, again with respect that’s unrealistic imo and I find that simply a unfair judgement on him again that’s just a valid opinion.

Everything I say on these threads are my valid opinions and on this issue we fundamentally disagree which is absolutely fine, as for me this is what the board is about to enjoy debates and respect other views.

I will not be using laughing emojis, but if I disagree with you, I will put it across as respectfully as I can as it is valid opinions.

I have never once said don’t give a shit about red domestic cricket you just putting words into mouth.

However I am of the opinion that domestic white ball cricket is the best way to get kids involved in the game that were not previously.

And for me like I said new people need to be attracted to the game and cricket needs to evolve to complete with modern interests.

That is what is most priority for me.

And I am of the opinion that during the six weeks holidays,parents who are looking to do stuff with their kids with no school the next day is the best time to schedule a white ball tournament, that’s not outlandish or insane in the slightest, it’s just a valid opinion.

White ball competitions have sprouted up all over the world because whether people like it or not they damn entertaining and fans like them.

Of course I get county members want more cricket for them to watch in the summer and respect that, but imo county championship games although interesting for those involved will not imo bring new blood to the game.

Again that’s not insane it’s just a opinion which is obviously shared by the powers of be.

I have to respectfully disagree with you over Strauss ,as imo you basically saying you knew he would not cancel it, you knew he was told not to cancel it and couldn’t cancel it,but yet at the same time, slag him off for not doing so, and in the above post you actually saying he should have come out and said he wasn’t allowed to mention the hundred, again with respect that’s unrealistic imo and I find that simply a unfair judgement on him again that’s just a valid opinion.

Everything I say on these threads are my valid opinions and on this issue we fundamentally disagree which is absolutely fine, as for me this is what the board is about to enjoy debates and respect other views.

I will not be using laughing emojis, but if I disagree with you, I will put it across as respectfully as I can as it is valid opinions.
You've said many times you don't watch county cricket and you have no interest in the championship.

You've ignored the point about no school trips to matches, and you seem to be unable to comprehend the idea that families can go along to grounds during the day. If the kid is old enough to go to a game and stay up until 10pm, they're old enough to go to school the next day. In fact, wouldn't it be great to go to school the next day and tell all your mates about it?

You have taken cricket away from more than half the grounds during the school holidays, that's the insane bit.

And it's perfectly valid to look at the parameters of this report, and just laugh at it. Imagine calling something a 'high performance review' and not consulting a single player or coach in the game? Imagine trying to alter a domestic schedule while being unable to alter the biggest problem the schedule has? It's a stupid, pointless exercise. And no I don't expect Strauss to admit that, because he's a fully paid up ECB employee. I would have a grain of respect for him if he did, but I'm not daft enough to think that he would. And I'm happy to criticise him for it.

You also have a go at everyone on here about having closed minds, but you will not consider any other idea than a white ball tournament that has to be during the school holidays. Everything else must fit around this, no compromises. You have the most closed mind of anyone on this thread.

And I'll use a laughing emoji because I know you will not change your mind and you know that I hate the way the sport is being vandalised by the ECB, so this discussion - as I said before - is pointless.

You've said many times you don't watch county cricket and you have no interest in the championship.

You've ignored the point about no school trips to matches, and you seem to be unable to comprehend the idea that families can go along to grounds during the day. If the kid is old enough to go to a game and stay up until 10pm, they're old enough to go to school the next day. In fact, wouldn't it be great to go to school the next day and tell all your mates about it?

You have taken cricket away from more than half the grounds during the school holidays, that's the insane bit.

And it's perfectly valid to look at the parameters of this report, and just laugh at it. Imagine calling something a 'high performance review' and not consulting a single player or coach in the game? Imagine trying to alter a domestic schedule while being unable to alter the biggest problem the schedule has? It's a stupid, pointless exercise. And no I don't expect Strauss to admit that, because he's a fully paid up ECB employee. I would have a grain of respect for him if he did, but I'm not daft enough to think that he would. And I'm happy to criticise him for it.

You also have a go at everyone on here about having closed minds, but you will not consider any other idea than a white ball tournament that has to be during the school holidays. Everything else must fit around this, no compromises. You have the most closed mind of anyone on this thread.

And I'll use a laughing emoji because I know you will not change your mind and you know that I hate the way the sport is being vandalised by the ECB, so this discussion - as I said before - is pointless.
It is pointless totally pointless as we fundamentally disagree and are absolutely miles apart in our views.

I loved cricket all cricket when I was a kid as I imagine you did.

However it’s different nowadays more for kids to do,more other interests in this modern world.

Some of the games this season in the county championship have been nothing short of dreadful to watch, and that observation has come from people who actually go to games.

Christ Durham drew more than half their matches. as did another 4/5 teams

It is my opinion if people who go to games are finding that boring, there is no chance kids with no interest before, will get the bug watching that.

I also don’t think majority of mams and dads not interested before would want to sit all day watching a lot of the county championships games on show this season

However a colorful fast paced attacking short format of the game designed with kids and families in mind might get them people interested in cricket.

Once again you entitled to your opinion and respect that, but the above it’s a perfectly valid opinion to get kids involved in the game

Last edited:
I actually think the @Voice of fair play actually makes some good points when he's focussing on the point at hand rather than trying to be a contrarian.

A white ball competition during the kids summer holidays actually makes a lot of sense IMO. It's just a shame that the current one doesn't apply to the many kids in the North East of England and other parts of the country.

I'll say it again that any "review" or restructure that takes place will never be able to come up with anything sensible while The Hundred exists and the rest of English cricket shuts down while it is played.

I actually think the @Voice of fair play actually makes some good points when he's focussing on the point at hand rather than trying to be a contrarian.

A white ball competition during the kids summer holidays actually makes a lot of sense IMO. It's just a shame that the current one doesn't apply to the many kids in the North East of England and other parts of the country.

I'll say it again that any "review" or restructure that takes place will never be able to come up with anything sensible while The Hundred exists and the rest of English cricket shuts down while it is played.
He does and of course he's entitled to have an opinion as we all are. I also agree that County Cricket and even Test cricket can be hard to get into. To appreciate it there's a quite a lot of knowledge and understanding required. Whatever knowledge I have was gained watching BBC Test coverage alongside my granda when I was a nipper, I think I was lucky.

The fact that 1st cricket is hard to immediately appreciate why I like it, it has depth and staying power in the memory. It would be a big shame if it was killed off.

Well that’s it a white ball competition should take place in the school holidays, whether it’s the hundred or T20 is not important from my point of view.

What is important is that it’s open for all the country and that the dedicated window has all the best players available to play in it.

In both respects that is where ‘ The Hundred’ has been disappointing, one it hasn’t got the quality of top top players consistently playing in it and two too much of the country is excluded.

But that doesn’t change my core belief that the best way to get kids involved in the game is a short format tournament in the middle of the summer designed with them in mind.

He does and of course he's entitled to have an opinion as we all are. I also agree that County Cricket and even Test cricket can be hard to get into. To appreciate it there's a quite a lot of knowledge and understanding required. Whatever knowledge I have was gained watching BBC Test coverage alongside my granda when I was a nipper, I think I was lucky.

The fact that 1st cricket is hard to immediately appreciate why I like it, it has depth and staying power in the memory. It would be a big shame if it was killed off.
Same mate. I've got fond memories of watching test series in the late 80s/early 90s at my nanna and grandad's during the summer holidays. And test cricket is still the pinnacle for me even though I also really enjoy T20.

Times have changed and there are so many things vying for everyone's attention that I can't see that happening very often at all now. That's why I think a white ball comp (The Blast) during the kid's summer holiday is a good idea.
Well that’s it a white ball competition should take place in the school holidays, whether it’s the hundred or T20 is not important from my point of view.

What is important is that it’s open for all the country and that the dedicated window has all the best players available to play in it.

In both respects that is where ‘ The Hundred’ has been disappointing, one it hasn’t got the quality of top top players consistently playing in it and two too much of the country is excluded.

But that doesn’t change my core belief that the best way to get kids involved in the game is a short format tournament in the middle of the summer designed with them in mind.
So it does matter what white ball competition it as as you second paragraph has criteria which the hundred does not meet. I'm not sure the point of this post and its totally contradictory of itself.

The Blast was already well on its way to we engaging more and more children before it was sidelined.

Last edited:
Same mate. I've got fond memories of watching test series in the late 80s/early 90s at my nanna and grandad's during the summer holidays. And test cricket is still the pinnacle for me even though I also really enjoy T20.

Times have changed and there are so many things vying for everyone's attention that I can't see that happening very often at all now. That's why I think a white ball comp (The Blast) during the kid's summer holiday is a good idea.

So it does matter what white ball competition it as as you second paragraph has criteria which the hundred does not meet. I'm not sure the point of this post and its totally contradictory of itself.

The Blast was already well on its way to we engaging more and more children before it was sidelined.
The point is straightforward in that a white ball competition totally and exclusively in the school holidays and designed with kids and families in mind in the best way to engage kids and families.

Would be fine if the blast was that competition.

They have made a rod for their own back by trying to please everybody and now have two short format competitions when only one is needed.

But that one needs the best players and needs the peak time and dedicated window.

Last edited:
The point is straightforward in that a white ball competition totally and exclusively in the school holidays and designed with kids and families in mind in the best way to engage kids and families.

Would be fine if the blast was that competition.

They have made a rod for their own back by trying to please everybody and now have two short format competitions when only one is needed.

But that one needs the best players and needs the peak time and dedicated window.
Your point wasn't straightforward though because you said that you didn't care if the white ball tournament was The Blast or The Hundred then listed a number of reasons why it couldn't be The Hundred.

You seem unable to come out and actually directly say that The Hundred has been a huge mistake despite listing a number of reasons of exactly why it has been.

I wonder what sort of bribes some of the counties will be offered to give up 1st class cricket
or blackmail.
'Ere, that's nice little debt you got there init. Be a shame if you're not able to meet the payments next year. But don't worry about it me ol' mucker, yer see, I gots a plan and it won't cost you a penny ........ alls I need is a little favour ....

Your point wasn't straightforward though because you said that you didn't care if the white ball tournament was The Blast or The Hundred then listed a number of reasons why it couldn't be The Hundred.

You seem unable to come out and actually directly say that The Hundred has been a huge mistake despite listing a number of reasons of exactly why it has been.
Maybe I did not explain properly, a white ball tournament imo is paramount in this country to spread the game and introduce kids into the game and the best place for that in my opinion is in the school holidays.

Where the hundred has failed is that it has excluded too much of the country and not attracted enough quality players.

That not a number or several reasons it’s two!

However the principle of designing a tournament with kids and families in mind and putting it in the school holidays is the right thing to do.

And the atmosphere created at hundred games for kids and families is the right thing to do.

There is no doubt to be fair there is improvement’s to made but a white ball tournament in the school holidays is very much the right thing to do imo.

But undoubtedly I agree it needs to be a wider audience and wider geographic area.
What it is called on whether it’s over 100 or 120 balls is secondary

Last edited:
They know they can come back next year or the year after with yet another review. Probably entitled "Why are people dissatisfied with the County Championship".

I'll bet that if the hundred got scrapped in a few years time they wouldn't increase the number of games again.

This is not about tired players. It's about money. The game will die chasing it.

The hundred will fail as no other nation is interested in following down its path

it’s concept is to spread the game and ignite interest , but to then limit the actual grounds where it’s played, is the exact opposite of the aim

then we have the ridiculous situation of the alledged best playing the best, when the final had no player inside the top ten ranking in any format taking part as most of them had sodded off mid tournament to play in the t20 in the Caribbean

The Hundred is already failing but the ECB can't admit to it having thrown a lot of money at it.

I hope Thompson and Gould can sort this mess out. They are both big cricket fans and have a lot of cricket admin experience. They are also aware of the strength of opposition to this and the reduction of county cricket.

The next twelve months are going to be interesting.

I think it was in this months Cricketer mag that the FTECB will have to publish the figures, on the 100 in full, profit and losses in the near future

You would have thought by now if overseas finance was to be coming in , then it would be apparent?

This years tournament was absolutely not the best playing the best though both Strauss and Key states that was its whole premise

100 was always about reducing the power of the counties, reducing teams and introducing franchises.
Looking at what has been achieved and the cost in terms of money, earned by the Test team over a number of years in the first place, and in terms of damage to the bedrock that is County Cricket it's difficult to say what it was created for given its achievement are so far adrift of it's stated aims that it's unbelievable.

Back