Strauss and his stupid ideas....

NEW - Andrew Strauss’ high performance review is expected to recommend a shake up to the County Championship from 2023. There would be 1 division of 12 with a feeder league of 6 at the side. 12 games would be played a season with the first 2 abroad

NEW - Andrew Strauss’ high performance review is expected to recommend a shake up to the County Championship from 2023. There would be 1 division of 12 with a feeder league of 6 at the side. 12 games would be played a season with the first 2 abroad
Not so sure it's that daft.
It extends the season so that's a plus.
Most teams are abroad in March pre-season already.
Almost guaranteed no weather interruptions.
Be able to watch on U-tube or a nice Spring holiday venue for some.
12 games a season is the norm in most cricket playing countries.
I also quite like the idea of the RL50 as a development tournament, bridges the gap between academy and senior cricket.
The 16.4 is here to stay,asking players to renounce it (£30k min for 4 weeks work) is akin to asking Turkey's to vote for Christmas.

If I had to guess the 6 counties which will get the chop I'd be relatively confident it would be the current bottom 6 in division 2

For me, The Bob Willis Trophy nearly had it nailed. What I would do would be....

There's 18 counties so split them into three groups of 6, split decided on a seeding system to ensure a similar level of quality in each one. Each county plays each other twice, home and away.

Top three in each group and the "best" second place go through to the semi finals and the winners of those through to the final.

Seedings are adjusted each season to avoid teams playing the same one every year.

Why don't the ECB just accept that domestic cricket is never going to be a cash cow? Giles Clarke got turned over by Stanford and was probably pisssed off that their invention of T20 cricket was not making the kind of money the IPL is making.

Truth is it never will. Cricket is the no1 sport in India whereas here its football. International cricket in England made the money. Remember the ECB reserves of £73m that they spanked away on this 100 shite? I can't see that ever being clawed back.

I'm also suspicious about this Reliance/Mumbai Indians tour. There was talk last year of ECB inviting Indian businessmen over to see the 100. Do they think they are going to invest here like they have just done with a franchise T20 in South Africa? Nah. If they like the 100 they'll form their own just like the IPL.

I agree. The ECB is supposed to serve the needs of the counties but now they are just prostitutes being told what to do if they want the money.

I’m on the sick at the moment and I’ve watched all of Lancs at Northants this week on youtube. There was barely anyone there for the entire game - if there was no ECB funding it’d be hard to see how a lot of counties survive so I think it’s only right that the ECB puts the England teams first.

Whether this is the right way of going about it remains to be seen.

Back