Strauss and his stupid ideas....

Thats an interesting article from Nick Hoult. It starts off saying The Counties have won but then dives into the issues that haven't gone away, namely the T20 competitions around the world scimming off the talent, including the news, to me, that the IPL will be introducing Central Contracts and claiming the County Cricket will only be played by third rate talent with the rest being creamed off on various Central Contracts and by the international leagues.

There's also a quote in there from an ecb insider or collaborator who call County Cricket Members the fleas on the tail that wags the dog. To me County Cricket is the dog, while The Hundred is the tick feeding off the dog that needs to be extracted and squashed asap.

The thing that nobody on here wants to mention is that what Strauss is attempting to do, whether you agree with his ideas or not, is keep players in England...in England and playing all 3 formats

thats what he wants, there is no ulterior motive other than increasing thr selection of high quality players for England in all formats

now people can deny it all they want but the threat is increasing every year to keep players in England. They have so many alternative ways to make really good money that they dont have to play county cricket, if its spread out all year, some of the talent will say "not for me thanks".

I still think some are denial to the problems to the CC that are not remotely caused by the ECB

I the 100 is utter shite,genuinelly, but people seem to think, get rid of that, go back to normal, everything will be fine...thats not remotely true like.

Last edited:
Not sure bribery is the right word at all!

More just given the top players the money they might get in other T20 competitions

Seems fair enough wanting top players involved?
Well the reason those two player missed it was not down to playing other t20 franchises. The wages were already a lot for the 100 and this hike isn't for all players, just an attempt to get England players to promote this cash drain
I don't think it's actually bribery hence the inverted commas

Last edited:
I also think we're not far away at all from FTECB telling England's players they won't be considered for Tests unless they make themsel available for the 16.4.

Quite embarrassing for FTECB that they have to keep begging/incentivising their own players to play in their flagship competition.

They’re just paying them money, as they have to do to keep them playing any domestic cricket or for England (see the drain from other countries where they pay them next to nowt).

Whether the cost is worth it is a separate point.

Well the reason those two player missed it was not down to playing other t20 franchises. The wages were already a lot for the 100 and this hike isn't for all players, just an attempt to get England players to promote this cash drain
I don't think it's actually bribery hence the inverted commas

I think for it to survive and thrive (appreciate it some don’t want it too).

It’s natural to want the very best players available and it will be necessary to achieve that to pay top players top money.

The one big criticism of the hundred for me has been the lack of top top quality players in it as opposed to the IPL for example.

It was originally sold and promised as the world best short format cricketers been it and they have undoubtedly fell short on that promise.

So is it wrong to try to achieve that??

Last edited:
This could be a make or break season for the 100. Viewing figures last season were down 20% and I think they'll dip even further this year. Is this more entertaining than the Blast? No. Can it be more entertaining than the Blast? Maybe but there doesn't seem much point. Hopefully the commentators won't get overexcited at even the most mundane parts of play. Rumour is Sky have approached the BBC for the phone that was going off during the footy the other night. There's no truth that the noise was Nasser watching a batter hitting a single in a dead rubber last year.

I think for it to survive and thrive (appreciate it some don’t want it too).

It’s natural to want the very best players available and it will be necessary to achieve that to pay top players top money.

The one big criticism of the hundred for me has been the lack of top top quality players in it as opposed to the IPL for example.

It was originally sold and promised as the world best short format cricketers been it and they have undoubtedly fell short on that promise.

So is it wrong to try to achieve that??
Except they aren't. Some test players aren't the best t20 players but are still the face of it. And this isn't even about targeting the best players with more pay, its specifically England Internationals

Back