Stewart and Charlie would have had away with our club badge if they could

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashback to 2018.

Charlie carefully leaked the consideration to the press that they were looking at a new badge: " 'CM [Methven] said the badge and motto were being looked at, working towards a simpler cheaper design that would be easier to put on merchandise and kit."

I'm surprised they didn't get found out quickly with things like that, but thankfully it was a no-go area even for them.
The majority of the SMB were too busy hanging on every word and seeking out dissenters for having the temerity to point out there complete and utter incompetence to notice red flags which were everywhere.

I do think the old badge represents our history more, but I don't mind the current badge.

It would entirely depend on what the new designs were, as I don't think we're desperate to change it.

TBF when we changed ours last there was a trend away from simple designs and into more “coat of arms” style badges and a few clubs did it - us in 97, Man City in 96, Brentford in 93, Leeds in 98 (although theirs was to a simple shield rather than the style of the others)

Now the trend is for simplistic designs again - Man City and Brentford have changed theirs, Everton have simplified theirs. Leeds attempted to change theirs but it looked like a GSCE computer studies student designed it so they scrapped it.

I like ours but it is beginning to look dated.

Last edited:
Cheers mate, stuck in the 70’s! Best days ever, home and away. Still at the matches with many of the same lads. Can’t beat boring the younguns with our away day tales!

Ironic that the younguns take the piss out of us older guys. When all they sing at matchdays is ”when I was young” and “number one is Gary Rowell” whilst they throw their beer around.

It’s quite standard these days to see clubs rebranding their badge. There’s been a fair few cases in football and I’ve seen Rugby League teams have put a big push behind this because it costs less when it comes to merchandise and it’s easier to work with digitally. I don’t think this really cites Methven as a clown. He did that in many other areas but not necessarily this one.

This is something loads of our fans wanted. In fact I think there was a thread last week suggesting it should be one of the first things KLD does.

There’s a strange bunch of people born in the 50s that are stuck in the 80s that think years of obscurity, ship badges and Z cars are nirvana.
No.
Im all for a new badge mesel. Something simpler than the current one that can be scrawled on bog doors with marker pens quickly by kids at Tyneside, Teeside, London,Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Marseilles schools.

A new one would mean another load of polo shirts made from some awful shiny static raising material being flogged in the club shop bargain bins.

I prefer the older babe, The new one looks shite when it’s stitched on anything, too cluttered fussy and always looks amateur and messy. However the same people who love the badge then complain when it’s done in easier more accurate neater sticker form.

It’s quite standard these days to see clubs rebranding their badge. There’s been a fair few cases in football and I’ve seen Rugby League teams have put a big push behind this because it costs less when it comes to merchandise and it’s easier to work with digitally. I don’t think this really cites Methven as a clown. He did that in many other areas but not necessarily this one.
There has, many of them have been flattening the existing badge after years of photoshop abuse or going back to “classic” badges.

The current badge has survived for nearly 24 years because it’s okay on the eye without being offensive.

A new badge would need approval from the majority of fans which would be quite a challenge.

This is something loads of our fans wanted. In fact I think there was a thread last week suggesting it should be one of the first things KLD does.

There’s a strange bunch of people born in the 50s that are stuck in the 80s that think years of obscurity, ship badges and Z cars are nirvana.

I was born in the 70s but never I've taken to the current badge - far too busy

To many of us

To many of us – and I was born in the 70s – that badge was special. The one we grew up with, the one we fell in love with. I’m no fan of nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake. I think it can be extremely destructive. I don’t have any desire to switch back to that badge.

But I think dismissing a large swathe of our support as ‘strange’ for loving that era is equally as destructive. And, well, unnecessarily divisive if I’m honest. A Sunderland fan is a Sunderland fan, whenever you’re born.

It was no nirvana being a Sunderland fan in the 70s and 80s. And I’ll tell you something else – as a kid, that ship badge was much easier to draw.
This is a good post. The one you replied to was pretty pathetic.
Some posters love to generalise on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back