Stewart and Charlie would have had away with our club badge if they could

Flashback to 2018.

Charlie carefully leaked the consideration to the press that they were looking at a new badge: " 'CM [Methven] said the badge and motto were being looked at, working towards a simpler cheaper design that would be easier to put on merchandise and kit."

I'm surprised they didn't get found out quickly with things like that, but thankfully it was a no-go area even for them.

Flashback to 2018.

Charlie carefully leaked the consideration to the press that they were looking at a new badge: " 'CM [Methven] said the badge and motto were being looked at, working towards a simpler cheaper design that would be easier to put on merchandise and kit."

I'm surprised they didn't get found out quickly with things like that, but thankfully it was a no-go area even for them.
This is something loads of our fans wanted. In fact I think there was a thread last week suggesting it should be one of the first things KLD does.

There’s a strange bunch of people born in the 50s that are stuck in the 80s that think years of obscurity, ship badges and Z cars are nirvana.

Flashback to 2018.

Not enough of an asset to strip apparently

This is something loads of our fans wanted. In fact I think there was a thread last week suggesting it should be one of the first things KLD does.

There’s a strange bunch of people born in the 50s that are stuck in the 80s that think years of obscurity, ship badges and Z cars are nirvana.

alternatively, all we have is our history until we start to make history again. Throwing the past to the wind for stupid corporate motives is not something to be celebrated.

Spot on. They’d have us wearing the blue Rowell kit every season as well, home and away.

Our badge looks very smart, honestly some people don’t know what to moan about.

Cheers mate, stuck in the 70’s! Best days ever, home and away. Still at the matches with many of the same lads. Can’t beat boring the younguns with our away day tales!

Flashback to 2018.

I preferred the old one. Showed our real heritage better. A Thatcherite’s nightmare.

Flashback to 2018.

YAAAAWWWWWWWWWN

I was born in the 70s and loved our old ship badge. Our current one is ok, I don’t mind it but just think it’s too much of a rip off of the mags badge.
That’s exactly what it is.

At the time of its design Newcastle had a good 5 year of unparalleled success in the north east and couldn’t put a foot wrong in the media’s eyes.So someone paid to do our latest heap of shite of a badge decided to trace round the outline of the mags badge and draw Penshaw Monument and the town bridge in the middle.
It’s shite.

To many of us

To many of us – and I was born in the 70s – that badge was special. The one we grew up with, the one we fell in love with. I’m no fan of nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake. I think it can be extremely destructive. I don’t have any desire to switch back to that badge.

But I think dismissing a large swathe of our support as ‘strange’ for loving that era is equally as destructive. And, well, unnecessarily divisive if I’m honest. A Sunderland fan is a Sunderland fan, whenever you’re born.

It was no nirvana being a Sunderland fan in the 70s and 80s. And I’ll tell you something else – as a kid, that ship badge was much easier to draw.

I was born in the 70s and loved our old ship badge. Our current one is ok, I don’t mind it but just think it’s too much of a rip off of the mags badge.
Born in the 70's. Liked the ship badge but not bothered about seeing it's return, don't like the current badge as agree re it's similarity with the mags badge plus there's far too much crap surrounding the shield part. Should have just been a more plain version with the shield minus the scrolls and everything else that surrounds it. Hadn't aged well imo.

Back