Stewart and Charlie would have had away with our club badge if they could

We should go back to the original ship/cat badge from the very start of the club existing:

Logon or register to see this image

Proper ship, none of this modern oil tanker malarky.
I personally dont like the present badge ,its confused pretentious and the bridge looks like the back of a chair !.....I personally liked the black pussy cat (not panther)element of the old badge as it was part of my youth as an emblem of the black cats club safc supporters club...... so the perfect badge for me would be the 70's ship badge with the addition a black pussycat sitting on the ball ......I however realise that most people prefer the new badge so and i cannot argue with that! Perhaps,however others might thing it is the right time to change the badge to introduce the new owner and hopefully a new ethos to our club, one of success ......perhaps put it to a vote ?invite designs from the fan base ect the usual stuff ..Me personally i would wait for the change of badge to represent our return to the Premiership as in truth changing the badge should be far far down the list of what our new owners need to do.

Last edited:
I’m probably biased because I worked in the Shipyards but..I haven’t got a problem with the latest badge but I would have liked if a ship in some capacity had been incorporated on it..could’ve been on the shield in the middle..I know it was a new stadium and a new badge and looking forward but it shouldn’t be forgotten what Sunderland was built on..the river.

Last edited:
I personally dont like the present badge ,its confused pretentious and the bridge looks like the back of a chair !.....I personally liked the black pussy cat (not panther)element of the old badge as it was part of my youth as an emblem of the black cats club safc supporters club...... so the perfect badge for me would be the 70's ship badge with the addition a black pussycat sitting on the ball ......I however realise that most people prefer the new badge so and i cannot argue with that! Perhaps,however others might thing it is the right time to change the badge to introduce the new owner and hopefully a new ethos to our club, one of success ......perhaps put it to a vote ?invite designs from the fan base ect the usual stuff ..Me personally i would wait for the change of badge to represent our return to the Premiership as in truth changing the badge should be far far down the list of what our new owners need to do.
I forgot about those Panthers on the North Stand 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😳

Bravo Sir.
How did I miss that? Band name spotting is part of my schtick on here. What’s left of my brain has been doing it on autopilot since the punk years. Mebbes I’m too old for it? Band name fatigue* comes to us all. Wield the baton with pride marra. Best of luck.

*Someones gonna do it aren’t they?
Must have had a Peel session

Nothing wrong with current badge. Some people will twist on 21.
ok mate you like the present badge i get it !but does that mean everybody else must also like what you like !a tad arrogant me thinks!There is much more important stuff to sort out at our club than a badge but this is a fans forum and trivial stuff is important to some and whats wrong with that?

ok mate you like the present badge i get it !but does that mean everybody else must also like what you like !a tad arrogant me thinks!There is much more important stuff to sort out at our club than a badge but this is a fans forum and trivial stuff is important to some and whats wrong with that?

Nothing at all. But as you say, it's a fan's forum and I'm not the one twisting. As you say it's relatively trivial.

Nothing at all. But as you say, it's a fan's forum and I'm not the one twisting. As you say it's relatively trivial.
The point is your disparaging other fans (for twisting as you call it ) because its trivial subject to you ..it is a fans site and here is nothing with your viewpoint im just disagreeing with you as i personally don't mind folk discussing a badge change in they way that you do.

Keep the current one. It should have had a ship in it, but it’s a classier design than most by far and instantly recognisable to millions.

Flashback to 2018.

Charlie carefully leaked the consideration to the press that they were looking at a new badge: " 'CM [Methven] said the badge and motto were being looked at, working towards a simpler cheaper design that would be easier to put on merchandise and kit."

I'm surprised they didn't get found out quickly with things like that, but thankfully it was a no-go area even for them.

I reckon Charlie would have had us playing in a salmon coloured strip!

Back