Stewart and Charlie would have had away with our club badge if they could

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ship will always be our badge to me being born in the seventies but I’m comfortable with the existing badge. I think the only reason to change would be marketing and I’d rather not in all honesty. If they do I won’t be massively upset though, it’s not got the emotional attachment the old badge had. In the same way if kyril wanted to build a new hyper stadium the SOL can go, I love it but it’s not Roker.

alternatively, all we have is our history until we start to make history again. Throwing the past to the wind for stupid corporate motives is not something to be celebrated.
Personally thought the old badge was dull as fuck. The latest one is a million times better.

This is something loads of our fans wanted. In fact I think there was a thread last week suggesting it should be one of the first things KLD does.

There’s a strange bunch of people born in the 50s that are stuck in the 80s that think years of obscurity, ship badges and Z cars are nirvana.

I'm born in the 70s and i think that. Give me Roker Park, Ship Badges and Z-Cars any day over the current options.

To many of us

To many of us – and I was born in the 70s – that badge was special. The one we grew up with, the one we fell in love with. I’m no fan of nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake. I think it can be extremely destructive. I don’t have any desire to switch back to that badge.

But I think dismissing a large swathe of our support as ‘strange’ for loving that era is equally as destructive. And, well, unnecessarily divisive if I’m honest. A Sunderland fan is a Sunderland fan, whenever you’re born.

It was no nirvana being a Sunderland fan in the 70s and 80s. And I’ll tell you something else – as a kid, that ship badge was much easier to draw.
I drew it a lot. My boy has never drawn the new one. Don’t know what that tells us but probably something!

I like the new one.
It’s more representative of our fan base.
Wearmouth Bridge symbolising the town and Penshaw Monument which overlooks County Durham where a lot of our support’s from.
A couple of big black cats thrown in for good measure plus the stripes.
Nowt wrang with it.
This ^

More important things to worry about than a f***ing badge.

I said this at the about the obsession with the pink seats. Complete waste of time that a lot of people thought meant that SD had given the club's back to the fans. Whatever the fuck that meant

This is something loads of our fans wanted. In fact I think there was a thread last week suggesting it should be one of the first things KLD does.

There’s a strange bunch of people born in the 50s that are stuck in the 80s that think years of obscurity, ship badges and Z cars are nirvana.
let’s be honest we’ve hardly had the best of times under the current badge. New owner, new start, new era, total rebrand.I’ve never liked the current one anyway

Last edited:
I liked the ship badge, and I like our current badge.

I’m not wedded to either though, and if a new design looks better and assists in the long term identity of the club, then I’ll be fine with it.

Things can’t stay the same for ever.

If there was a good reason to change it, and it changed to something nicer then go for it. Changing it to something cheaper to reproduce doesn't sound like a good reason. It sounds like the previous owners being tight. There was no problem with the cost of the badge for years until they showed up.

If there was a good reason to change it, and it changed to something nicer then go for it. Changing it to something cheaper to reproduce doesn't sound like a good reason. It sounds like the previous owners being tight. There was no problem with the cost of the badge for years until they showed up.

It was even Bob Murray who changed it in the first place and he was so tight he only breathes in. It shows how bad the last lot were if they considered a badge too expensive.

Give me a team to be proud of and a stadium that is a great place to go then they can do what they want with the badge !

I hate the current badge - always have always will. Typical Murray mag inspired effort complete with incorrect latin phrase and an impossible design to put on shirts at the time.

That said, unless they go back to the ship badge or something like it (like Man City have), then I'd leave it.

Whichever way you lean on the subject of our badge, if you look at most of the bigger clubs badges (and we are potentially a big club with a rich history) their badges are much less fussy than ours and identify their individual clubs much quicker when you glance at them.

Liverpool and Sours have simple but effective logos (Liver bird and Cockerel) that you can identify both clubs with without any club name underneath, and both Manchester clubs, Everton, Leeds, Arsenal etc have totally unfussy and in most cases traditional badges that have maybe been tweaked in recent times. Most continental clubs have similar, simpler but effective designs.

Our current badge looks okay when blown up big as above the SOL main entrance for example but looks fussy and less effective when produced in a smaller image. It should always have had a shipbuilding reference in it, as Wearside is a historically important area built initially on the back of shipbuilding, coal, glass and pottery.

Out badge issue is worthy of discussion but there’s no need for people to get confrontational about it.

For those dissing the ship badge, Man City, arguably England’s most progressive club right now, have a ship representing the Manchester ship canal on their badge and no club in Europe is probably more modern or innovative than them.

I was born in the 70s and loved our old ship badge. Our current one is ok, I don’t mind it but just think it’s too much of a rip off of the mags badge.

The mags dont have sole rights on the traditional Crest yer knar. Loads of clubs have them. Although since we went down this route probably should have had something that was based on the actual citys Crest.

Flashback to 2018.

Charlie carefully leaked the consideration to the press that they were looking at a new badge: " 'CM [Methven] said the badge and motto were being looked at, working towards a simpler cheaper design that would be easier to put on merchandise and kit."

I'm surprised they didn't get found out quickly with things like that, but thankfully it was a no-go area even for them.
I’d still rather have the ship badge. That badge has never done anything for me. I wouldn’t be against the stadium changing name/being sponsored either.

The mags dont have sole rights on the traditional Crest yer knar. Loads of clubs have them. Although since we went down this route probably should have had something that was based on the actual citys Crest.

That reminds me about another aspect of our current badge. Blown up - its quite clearly the Wearmouth Bridge with the arch turning into a point (like a hummel chevron in the middle).

When its shrunk to fit on merchandise it becomes a full arch looking more than similar to the mag bridge up the road!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back