Static Caravans

• Thread starter Deleted member 30053
  • Start date

I was there for a car show last year. Whats the crack with that protester who camps out on the verge by the entry?
No idea what your talking about mara, The Classic car show was a few weeks back no issues, They have various fairs and shows during the year never had any problems.

Gran had one at Feathers in Whitley Bay back in the 80s, was class that site as a kid. Had a look round the other week, lot of kids about.

Uncle had one at Riverside Leisure in hexham but the owner basically ripped everyone off and had let it go to ruin somewhat.

Be careful with the T&Cs.
Somehow, caravan sites can contractually have you over a barrell, in that when it comes to sell, you have to sell it to them for whatever price they want to pay - or at least, they will charge you a fortune in fees to "safely remove" the caravan from its pitch.

My in-laws had to take their pristine (literally, looked brand new) 15 year old caravan off last year as the site have a <15yr old rule. They were offered about £1,300 for it, and basically had to take it.
Disgraceful, but very very common.

Look into how much cost is involved, and then look at how much you're paying "per night" to use it. Then think would you be better off in B&B's / AirBnB instead.
It's a complete racket.

No idea what your talking about mara, The Classic car show was a few weeks back no issues, They have various fairs and shows during the year never had any problems.
It was last August I was there. The bloke was dressed in camoflage and seemed to be protesting being evicted or sacked by the site rather than the car show.

Wifes parents had one for years. Upgraded to a newer second hand one every 8-10 years for a few grand and paid site fees of about £1500 pa with water and electric.

My kids more or less grew up there as we spent a good few weekends every summer there ... very cheap weekly holidays.

Then it all came crashing down. The site was sold to a big company.
All vans max 10 years old
All vans but be in Willberby Green (cheapest one £40k)
All vans must be purchased from the owner.

and triple site fees to £4500 pa

They had no choice but to pack it all in and scrap the van, they just didn't have the money to keep it going.

Still have a drive around the site if I pass it on a day out, hasn't changed much and for £10 grand a year they can get stuffed.

I'm sure if I gave the kids a choice for a few weekends in the lakes or 2 Caribbean holidays a year, I know what would win.

Much cheaper sites to be had, the one where my family have three caravans, paid about £12-15k for caravan, it’s £1800 a year for the pitch, water rates and electricity is buttons and a couple of gas bottles a year.

Fuck all for a place in the countryside for the price of a week abroad each year....40 minute drive to Hamsterley and it’s like heaven!
Indeed but try finding one ,its all about knowing someone on these lesser sites ,same with the ones with no age limits.Families have them forever and pass them around .Try googling them,they don't exist .

Everyone is mentioning cost but nobody has mentioned that you can rent it out the weeks you're not there which must being in more than outgoings or at least evens surely?

Is this not what happens? :confused:

Do people really buy a static caravan, use it a few times a year and have it sat empty the rest?

Everyone is mentioning cost but nobody has mentioned that you can rent it out the weeks you're not there which must being in more than outgoings or at least evens surely?

Is this not what happens? :confused:

Do people really buy a static caravan, use it a few times a year and have it sat empty the rest?
Yep generally. Loads of sites won't let you rent them out. Immediate family only.

On my site I would say 75% of static owners are retired. So they use it a lot more. I could see that being worth it.

Crazy the amount of money they cost if you ask me. If touring isn't your thing, which I do understand, get a tourer and site it for the summer and store it over winter. Much cheaper and you can move it around so you are not stuck in the same place year after year. Sure it won't be as big and it's a chemical toilet rather than proper flushing, but you can get them with fixed beds, decent showers, and big fridges.

Aye we’ve ruled that out mate. They just wanted to have your eyes out so they were royally told to fuck off!! At the end of the day it’s got a pub on it that you could just walk into from any other site anyway if you wanted a drink or to watch the footy and then a few water features and the thieving twats are trying to charge double for the same caravan you can get down the road.

Nice one mate, absolute scum they are.. was sure ours was being used while we weren't there.. costs seemed to rise weekly.. they tried to charge us £135 admin fee to issue a £18 electric bill.. (part season) that was the start of things for us.. seemed to be constantly arguing with them for one reason or another... ended up moving our van off then paid up half the finance and got rid... this meant it was their responsibility so had a right fuck on getting it back... I lost out but that little parting shot gave me a little victory... in my mind anyway...

Heather view was class years ago when it was owned by the co-op in the village. Spent many a full 6 weeks up there and months when home from uni.

Got taken over by a chain and turned it into snobsville.

Shame like as Stanhope was a cracking place.

Back