Static Caravans

• Thread starter Deleted member 30053
  • Start date
Been looking at a few caravan parks and quite like Stanhope so potentially going to buy one there.

Any do’s and dont’s or advice to consider when buying one? We’ve sacked off that Heather View cos it seems like they have your eyes out there but some of the smaller parks are canny and close to the pubs.

Aren't they a complete waste of money?

It seems to be by the time you pay your site fees and deal with the reducing asset then you may as well just rent somewhere wherever you want to be, at a time that suits?

I could be missing something as the idea did appeal to me at first.

Everyone is mentioning cost but nobody has mentioned that you can rent it out the weeks you're not there which must being in more than outgoings or at least evens surely?

Is this not what happens? :confused:

Do people really buy a static caravan, use it a few times a year and have it sat empty the rest?
Loads of the sites that people are talking/complaining about, nope, part of the contract is that you can't rent them out.
Also, not everyone wants strangers in their own 2nd home

Loads of the sites that people are talking/complaining about, nope, part of the contract is that you can't rent them out.
Also, not everyone wants strangers in their own 2nd home

Fair enough, you would think sites want the caravans full if they have onsite facilities where people can spend money though? Seems odd to me, I just always assumed people who owned them rented them out when not there themselves.

Fair enough, you would think sites want the caravans full if they have onsite facilities where people can spend money though? Seems odd to me, I just always assumed people who owned them rented them out when not there themselves.
Different types of sites. The ones with entertainment blocks, vs the quieter places that have very little on site to spend money at.

Much cheaper sites to be had, the one where my family have three caravans, paid about £12-15k for caravan, it’s £1800 a year for the pitch, water rates and electricity is buttons and a couple of gas bottles a year.

Fuck all for a place in the countryside for the price of a week abroad each year....40 minute drive to Hamsterley and it’s like heaven!

Ours isn’t too far away from yours and the fees are similar. Had the van over 14 years and the averaged costs are just over £2k a year. That’s for up to 33 weekends away a year plus Easter/ summer etc.

The site is extremely well maintained, no club house so no pissed up folk being rowdy and the pitches are generous, not regimented with only a car width between like some.

Those who get ripped off probably fall in love with the romanticism of it all and don’t thoroughly research all options. The expensive sites tend to feature high in google listings and the better ones don’t need to.

Last edited:
Holiday cottages are avg £300/400 for a 3 bedroom out of school holidays for a week. Always use them - often luxurious. Cheaper over 3 days. And most take dogs/wi-fi and log burners etc.

Seems madness paying all that money for a caravan in the same spot.

Last edited:
Holiday cottages are avg £300/400 for a 3 bedroom out of school holidays for a week. Always use them - often luxurious. Cheaper over 3 days. And most have dogs with Wi-fi and log burners etc.

I can go to my chosen place any time I want, for as long as I want. Not everybody's cup of tea but, the best decision I ever made.

Holiday cottages are avg £300/400 for a 3 bedroom out of school holidays for a week. Always use them - often luxurious. Cheaper over 3 days. And most take dogs/wi-fi and log burners etc.

We have the kids bikes up there, I have some clothes up there. I get to sleep in my own bed.

If me and our lass have an argument, I can go there after work for the night.

It’s an hour closer to the lakes, Yorkshire Dales, Hexhamshire. It’s twenty minutes into Weardale. I can ride into Hamsterley and back.

We have the kids bikes up there, I have some clothes up there. I get to sleep in my own bed.

If me and our lass have an argument, I can go there after work for the night.

It’s an hour closer to the lakes, Yorkshire Dales, Hexhamshire. It’s twenty minutes into Weardale. I can ride into Hamsterley and back.
Sounds a bit samey! Expensive one too for all the site fees.

We had one in Heather view about 15 year back or so (give or take) Always remember not being able to get the comentry for the match up there, it was very hazzy. I think it was the days when we were on magic. Anyway, the radio was crackly and shouty so we went in to see it on the teletext as we couldn't make out what was happening and saw that mart poom had scored. Que absolute scenes.

Edit:

Enjoyed it up there as a young chap back then but got a bit monotonous.

Crazy the amount of money they cost if you ask me. If touring isn't your thing, which I do understand, get a tourer and site it for the summer and store it over winter. Much cheaper and you can move it around so you are not stuck in the same place year after year. Sure it won't be as big and it's a chemical toilet rather than proper flushing, but you can get them with fixed beds, decent showers, and big fridges.
We live in a big tourer full time. £60 a week, a tenner leccy lasts 2 weeks in the summer, 1 in the winter. Get my bottles of gas ex vat off a mate. Nee poll tax, nee telly licence. Also got a small tourer for £200 off somebody on site. Had it 3 years and dragged it all ower the uk. Up here i rarely pay for a site, just go wild with a small generator and a portable satellite system.

Been looking at a few caravan parks and quite like Stanhope so potentially going to buy one there.

Any do’s and dont’s or advice to consider when buying one? We’ve sacked off that Heather View cos it seems like they have your eyes out there but some of the smaller parks are canny and close to the pubs.
Me mars got one for sale down dene Park I think. £14,500 next to crimdon, brother as a couple on crimdon for sale but fees are ridiculous. Pm if ya interested..

I have a friend in Heather View, I think this is the one with the clubhouse and lots of kids!!! My other mate is in Brotherlea which is a quiet site and much smaller.
If you intend using it the whole season go for residential specification, which is a lot more insulation. If it's just summer use, it doesn't matter.
Me mother lived in hers since we all moved out. A lot of people retiring to them nowadays.

Last edited:
My parents bought one when my Mother retired, went off for the summer and stayed - turned out they'd moved out on me :lol:

Old man is still there, works in a site shop to keep himself busy over the summer. Got a small community of like minded souls there all year round.

We live in a big tourer full time. £60 a week, a tenner leccy lasts 2 weeks in the summer, 1 in the winter. Get my bottles of gas ex vat off a mate. Nee poll tax, nee telly licence. Also got a small tourer for £200 off somebody on site. Had it 3 years and dragged it all ower the uk. Up here i rarely pay for a site, just go wild with a small generator and a portable satellite system.

Doubt I'd ever go that far. But we are away all next week off grid. Fridge/hot water run on the gas, lights and tv run on 12v topped up by a solar panel and if I need anymore power I have a 3kw generator. TV has smart apps so has netflix which links to our MiFi with has three go binge for an unlimited amount of netflix streaming. No matter which way we look we have lovely scenery.

Back