Static Caravans

• Thread starter Deleted member 30053
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30053

Been looking at a few caravan parks and quite like Stanhope so potentially going to buy one there.

Any do’s and dont’s or advice to consider when buying one? We’ve sacked off that Heather View cos it seems like they have your eyes out there but some of the smaller parks are canny and close to the pubs.

Greenfoot is a canny site. It's just out of Stanhope but within walking distance of the centre. The owner is lovely.

Be careful with the T&Cs.
Somehow, caravan sites can contractually have you over a barrell, in that when it comes to sell, you have to sell it to them for whatever price they want to pay - or at least, they will charge you a fortune in fees to "safely remove" the caravan from its pitch.

My in-laws had to take their pristine (literally, looked brand new) 15 year old caravan off last year as the site have a <15yr old rule. They were offered about £1,300 for it, and basically had to take it.
Disgraceful, but very very common.

Look into how much cost is involved, and then look at how much you're paying "per night" to use it. Then think would you be better off in B&B's / AirBnB instead.

Been looking at a few caravan parks and quite like Stanhope so potentially going to buy one there.

Any do’s and dont’s or advice to consider when buying one? We’ve sacked off that Heather View cos it seems like they have your eyes out there but some of the smaller parks are canny and close to the pubs.
I have a friend in Heather View, I think this is the one with the clubhouse and lots of kids!!! My other mate is in Brotherlea which is a quiet site and much smaller.
If you intend using it the whole season go for residential specification, which is a lot more insulation. If it's just summer use, it doesn't matter.

Be careful with the T&Cs.
Somehow, caravan sites can contractually have you over a barrell, in that when it comes to sell, you have to sell it to them for whatever price they want to pay - or at least, they will charge you a fortune in fees to "safely remove" the caravan from its pitch.

My in-laws had to take their pristine (literally, looked brand new) 15 year old caravan off last year as the site have a <15yr old rule. They were offered about £1,300 for it, and basically had to take it.
Disgraceful, but very very common.

Look into how much cost is involved, and then look at how much you're paying "per night" to use it. Then think would you be better off in B&B's / AirBnB instead.
This. They can end up very expensive purchases when you go to try to sell up. They lose value very quickly (if you're buying new) and the fees can be very high. My site where I have a tourer situated is £3500 for the year. Add on the depreciation of your van and the money you will lose when selling. They are certainly far from an 'investment'. But the OP knars about money.

So just something to consider and if you have the cash it can be well worth it. I love having my tourer where it is but the room of a static and connected water and toilet would be very welcome.

whilst the idea of owning a static is canny...the intital outlay and fees are f***ing mental....my mate pays 4k a year at lowther...

like i said to the mrs...thats a nice f***ing holiday that....

and we can use our friends one for free.. dont get me wrong it was lush in easter when we had that weekend of scorching weather..but half the time the weather is wank here anyway

whilst the idea of owning a static is canny...the intital outlay and fees are f***ing mental....my mate pays 4k a year at lowther...

like i said to the mrs...thats a nice f***ing holiday that....

and we can use our friends one for free.. dont get me wrong it was lush in easter when we had that weekend of scorching weather..but half the time the weather is wank here anyway
£35,000 ish to buy
£3,000 per year for pitch

15 years later, you'll get no more than £2,000 back after spending £80,000.
Its something to really consider imo

£35,000 ish to buy

Friend has just paid £25k for one and fees were about £3500.

That was Heather View iirc.

scratters paradise caravan sites

Money pit,avoid
Get two good holidays for the site fees if not more ,have to use non stop to get your value .Who wants to go to the same place non stop ? Obviously suits some people .Had a cheap one when my son was a toddler,£1700 fees was cheap 15 years ago,got sick of walking into the same village etc,same places for drives out .Like the Stasi when my mates used it ,10 year rule meant I had to sell it and they ripped me and buyer off removing it from site

Money pit,avoid
Get two good holidays for the site fees if not more ,have to use non stop to get your value .Who wants to go to the same place non stop ? Obviously suits some people .Had a cheap one when my son was a toddler,£1700 fees was cheap 15 years ago,got sick of walking into the same village etc,same places for drives out .Like the Stasi when my mates used it ,10 year rule meant I had to sell it and they ripped me and buyer off removing it from site

We gave up ours when the little one came along.......thankfully we bought fairly cheap so didn't lose out a great deal. We enjoyed it for 3 years but would never have another.....always getting hassle to upgrade etc.

Friends have one up at Amble and pay in excess of £600 PM for site fees and Caravan on tick........madness.

£35,000 ish to buy

Much cheaper sites to be had, the one where my family have three caravans, paid about £12-15k for caravan, it’s £1800 a year for the pitch, water rates and electricity is buttons and a couple of gas bottles a year.

Fuck all for a place in the countryside for the price of a week abroad each year....40 minute drive to Hamsterley and it’s like heaven!

£35,000 ish to buy

Equates to about 5.3k per year. Guess when a week away for 5 of us is generally 3.5k min (abroad) guess its not bad if you used it plenty.

Sisters in process of buying in lakes. They love it but 2 1/4 hr drive every friday n sun would put me off a bit.

They always seem like a money pit to me, as backed up by other posters.

I'd think a camper van would be better for many, myself included. A tent will have to do for now though..

Back