starting a burger van...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the USP would be, and I know it’s not entirely unique but, it’s kind of a Subway rip-off but instead of the mush they serve as ‘steak’ or ‘chicken’ you’d serve real beef/steak and actual chicken fillet/breast but you’d get to choose your preferred bread/selection of salad. So it’s like Subway but without the cheap, basic, processed produce.

Choice is overrated. If it's a van near the stadium, the options need to be cheese, onions or both. Same burger, same bun, keep the queue moving and gan to the match. Nee one is looking for gourmet food on the way to a game from a van.

Interesting. I’d disagree personally, but who knows
Each to their own I guess.
What I’m suggesting is - don’t try to steal business from the many that are already there....instead, grow the market by offering something that might attract those who wouldn’t dream about buying a burger from a van normally but who go dappy over hipster ‘food markets’ / Stack / Down By The River BrewCo etc

Reactions: JJH
It may sound counter-intuative at the moment and bit like vulture-like, but I'm sure a lot of good b+b's/small hotels will probably go to the wall in the next few months.

If you have the money, I reckon these would be a sound investment, if you could afford to write-off this year. Foreign travel is going to be an absolute pain, if possible at all, in the next few years, so people will be holidaying in Britain. Looking at buying some sort of camper van myself.
100% this. As soon as this all starts to die down and people can get out and about again they will be clamming for a break away somewhere. Anywhere.

The cost of holidays abroad will go through the roof with demand I reckon. Leaving many to holiday in Britain, for the next couple of years we'll probably see a resurgence of the seaside resort.

Time it right and take a B&B off someone getting desperate you'll be sitting on a goldmine for 2 or 3 years.

the USP would be, and I know it’s not entirely unique but, it’s kind of a Subway rip-off but instead of the mush they serve as ‘steak’ or ‘chicken’ you’d serve real beef/steak and actual chicken fillet/breast but you’d get to choose your preferred bread/selection of salad. So it’s like Subway but without the cheap, basic, processed produce.
So an expensive subway. From a van. For people that like subway shite and how cheap it is?

Money pit.

So an expensive subway. From a van. For people that like subway shite and how cheap it is?

Money pit.
No, it’s better than Subway at the same price. I mean ‘premium’ as measured against other ‘shite sold from a van’. I think quality food running parallel with a quality pitch is a ‘money pit’ actually.
Choice is overrated. If it's a van near the stadium, the options need to be cheese, onions or both. Same burger, same bun, keep the queue moving and gan to the match. Nee one is looking for gourmet food on the way to a game from a van.
point being no burger vans owa the match are even offering a bit salad.

Last edited:
No, it’s better than Subway at the same price. I mean ‘premium’ as measured against other ‘shite sold from a van’. I think quality food running parallel with a quality pitch is a ‘money pit’ actually.

point being no burger vans owa the match are even offering a bit salad.
Why do you think that is?

Where else are you going to sell?

it’s not me at this point but a lad I know is getting into it and I’d like to use him as my guinea pig. I’m looking for people with experience who know how much it costs to get camped up in a retail park Monday-Saturday or outside the stadium on a matchday. I can get a loose idea of what stock costs by going to a cash & carry and crunching the numbers myself but how much does renting a plot of land owa’ the stadium or at a place with heavy foot-fall during the week cost? I understand it’s negotiable but has anyone had any experience/second hand stories about this?

you will be really lucky to even find a spot At retail parks etc. The ones without burger vans at them is more than likely that people have tried and been refused.
I know someone who’s had them at the stadium they reckon it’s not worth the mess on, lower crowds/High rents and too many vans there to compete with

it’s not me at this point but a lad I know is getting into it and I’d like to use him as my guinea pig. I’m looking for people with experience who know how much it costs to get camped up in a retail park Monday-Saturday or outside the stadium on a matchday. I can get a loose idea of what stock costs by going to a cash & carry and crunching the numbers myself but how much does renting a plot of land owa’ the stadium or at a place with heavy foot-fall during the week cost? I understand it’s negotiable but has anyone had any experience/second hand stories about this?

There will be a “unofficial” booking system around the stadium. Vendors will ensure their pitch is not used by anyone else, they will defend their turf. Near the stadium the club may be leasing sites, we used to in Northumberland for big outdoor events plus no refunds if it pissed down.
Near schools could be promising but you may be unwelcome even if on private land. They’ll hassle you with the cops or Environmental Health.

Avoid beef-unless minced or burger-as it is too expensive. stick to chicken and pork. Match day pitches will be saturated already. Ask the council about a Hawkers licence. This will tell you where you can and where you cant trade.
My old man had a factory manufacturing catering trailers and we supplied most in the NE- plenty of people made mega money. Ones on the team valley were up to £1000 a day and that was 20 years ago.
Billy Jardine ran loads in Newcastle and the one outside the Tuxedo Princess, which sold pure shite took thousands a week with no rent and one member of staff.

Mate of mine runs a few in Glasgow. His family are well known hard bastards and they have to be, because there are plenty of turf wars.
I know he had one van burnt out last year. I know that someone tried to muscle in on his pitches at Ibrox on matchdays but that didnt wor

His new pet hate are vegans, but he has to cater for them because the whole family might want vegan burgers and he might miss out on a £30 sale.

Looked into this a good while back, you need to try get one with a pitch already included. Trying to muscle in on someone’s pitch can end up with your knee caps bust!

If you’re mobile, Big festivals are where money can be made, but the outlay for those spots was stupidity! £20k for three days for the big festivals from memory. Even the likes of Sunderland illuminations were asking daft money.
"One for you"
"One for me"
"One for you"
"One for me"
"One for you"
"One for me"

😉 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back